Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom, or Aperature???  (Read 8232 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Lightroom, or Aperature???
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:50:27 am »

I want to start using either Adobe's Lightroom, or Apple's Aperature software. I'd like to start using one or the other, mainly to organize my thousands of digital images.

I'm a professional photographer, and use will continue using Photoshop for it's incredilbe capabilities.

I'd like to hear pros and cons of each. It seems that there are LOTS more posts in the Lightroom forum, than the Aperature one. So that alone tells me that Lightroom is the choice of most.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 10:10:03 am by bellimages »
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

Wolf Eilers

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 12:20:44 pm »

Lightroom runs on both Windows and Mac platforms and that alone would account for it's apparent popularity. This is also the reason Aperature will remain a niche product, and Lightroom will become the defacto standard.

Since I'm a Windows user I don't have the slightest idea as to Aperature's capability versus Lightroom.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 12:35:50 pm »

Did you know both of these programs have 30 day trials? You should try them for yourself because what other people will say is why one works for them, not how it will work for you. Why do you particularly want to use one of these programs? What sort of volume do you shoot? If your key problem is organization, neither may be the right choice. What camera models have you been using - Aperture supports a third the number that LR handles (BTW why can no-one spell "Aperture" - it drives me nuts).

John

bellimages

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:14:30 pm »

Did you know both of these programs have 30 day trials? You should try them for yourself because what other people will say is why one works for them, not how it will work for you. Why do you particularly want to use one of these programs? What sort of volume do you shoot? If your key problem is organization, neither may be the right choice. What camera models have you been using - Aperture supports a third the number that LR handles (BTW why can no-one spell "Aperture" - it drives me nuts).

John

Thanks John. I'll give them a try. I use a Canon 5D and Apple computer gear. Sorry for the typo. I won't make that mistake again. It sort of reminds me of the word espresso. I see that one spelled incorrectly a lot too.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 02:23:44 pm by bellimages »

bellimages

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 02:23:28 pm »

John, Another question ... if my key goal is better organization (since I'll still use Photoshop for my work), then what software should I look at other than Aperture or Lightroom?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 02:52:11 pm »

John, Another question ... if my key goal is better organization (since I'll still use Photoshop for my work), then what software should I look at other than Aperture or Lightroom?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119865\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
My own preference is iView. Just to give one example of why you might prefer it, LR won't import CMYK images or Lab (not checked recently), or large stitched images (10000 pixels), and Aperture is no use for managing non-photographic assets. Many photographers also have other media - eg wedding photographers might have video - that needs controlling as part of the same project. iView is multimedia.

Aperture and Lightroom are mainly for bulk adjustment of photographs, linked to archive management. If you're a fine art, low volume worker, and do lots of detailed Photoshop work, they're of marginal use. If you have a 600 a day habit and deliver to press deadlines, they're probably too slow. But there are a lot of other roles where they can make sense - eg wedding, performing arts freelancers. In each case, it's volume that is causing pain.

One thing worth checking out is whether all your cameras are covered - I said "have been using" because you need to be sure the app handles stuff from your older cameras too, and newer esoteric models. Aperture is weak in this area - about a third of the number that LR handles.

But so much depends on your precise needs so get them installed and see how they fit your work.

John

David Mantripp

• :: snowhenge dot net ::
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 03:45:24 pm »

If you're a fine art, low volume worker, and do lots of detailed Photoshop work, they're of marginal use. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119870\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

so Michael Reichmann has no use for Lightroom ?  

Personally I'd say LightAroom (just trying to start a trend) is brilliant if you've started out in photography in the digital age and are unlikely to use Photoshop much (because if you do, your disk space use will explode as LightAroom makes lots of duplicates for you),

Otherwise I'd say use iView (er, sorry, Expression Media) at least until Microsoft really screws it up (they've trying) and Bridge CS3, which is a far more flexible combination that Lightroom with far fewer restrictions. Costs more though, but that isn't usually an issue for readers of this forum...
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 03:50:16 pm by drm »
--
David Mantripp

bellimages

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2007, 10:20:40 am »

so Michael Reichmann has no use for Lightroom ?   
Personally I'd say LightAroom (just trying to start a trend) is brilliant if you've started out in photography in the digital age and are unlikely to use Photoshop much (because if you do, your disk space use will explode as LightAroom makes lots of duplicates for you),

Otherwise I'd say use iView (er, sorry, Expression Media) at least until Microsoft really screws it up (they've trying) and Bridge CS3, which is a far more flexible combination that Lightroom with far fewer restrictions. Costs more though, but that isn't usually an issue for readers of this forum...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

THere is no way that you'll find me using Windows software .... sorry. I'm a devoted Mac person, and have been since the beginning. I hate the whole Windows/Microsoft world. So with that in mind, is there a program that is good at organizing thousands of photos? Would Bridge be good?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2007, 10:31:09 am »

iView was developed on the Mac by Mac developers. It just happens now to be Microsoft owned. If your mind is so closed, forget it.

evonzz

• CENTRAL STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2007, 10:48:15 am »

I use IVMP/CS2/Capture one for my workflow needs.  I have been very disappointed at all the frustration with the new Expression media and wonder what direction my own workflow will go when iview is no longer supported and i wish not to go across to Expressions.

So i am tuning into the Lightroom/Aperture debate.  I much prefer the RAW processing from Capture one as opposed to ACR, but the simplicity of Bridge/CS2/IVMP is a treat.

How does the RAW processing quality from LR/Aperture compare to C1?

GregW

• http://
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 09:58:18 pm »

In my experience both A and LR are good products.  You really need to try them both then stick to one solution and build your workflow around it.  

I have a gut feeling there are a lot of people investing time chopping and changing RAW conversion software, never really maximizing it's full potential.  Both solutions are extensive and you'll need to spend time to maximize its capabilities.  Both products can do the job well if you invest enough time and effort.

I chose LR for the following reasons:

- Instinctively I found it easier to get down to work.  The adjustment options in develop were more instinctive to me and the learning curve less steep.  

- I spend a of time trying to get the image right in-camera.  This means that with the exception of shrpening the images I rarely dip in to too much pixel editing.  The word is that much of the sharpening issue will be addressed shortly in the 1.1 update.  

- Comprehensive import module.

- Apple support - As a long time Apple user you'll know that they make great products but support them poorly.

- LR beta program.  Adobe really listened to it's potential customers Imo.  

- Adobe has made itself more available than Apple and are more openly responsive.  There are countless Adobe blogs/podcasts where we are getting direct information and feedback about the product's direction.

- There will be a LR SDK.  The modular architecture of LR makes it open to additional modules or features.  I expect over time, some favorite PS actions and plug-ins will make their way to LR.

- The user community is stronger and larger.  Already there are numerous sources providing/sharing presets like those found in the develop module.

- Speed.  The way I use LR works for me.  I import the images and render them at the same time.  By the time I've made a cup of tea it will have processed 200 images.  That's fine for me.  If you import 500 images, and start viewing them at 100% without rendering, then you are going to be disappointed.  IVMP is the champion in this respect.

You'll have noticed I haven't focused on features very much.  Both products will do the same job if you invest enough time to learn them.

Roy

• http://
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 12:46:54 am »

iView was developed on the Mac by Mac developers. It just happens now to be Microsoft owned. If your mind is so closed, forget it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121235\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Looking at the mess Microsoft has made of the first release of Expression Media has made me wary. I will continue to use my current version of iView, but I'm looking for alternatives. I have no plan to move to Expression Media and could not recommend it.
Roy

bellimages

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2007, 05:10:51 pm »

I hate to say, out of embarassment, but what is IVMP?

In my experience both A and LR are good products.  You really need to try them both then stick to one solution and build your workflow around it. 

I have a gut feeling there are a lot of people investing time chopping and changing RAW conversion software, never really maximizing it's full potential.  Both solutions are extensive and you'll need to spend time to maximize its capabilities.  Both products can do the job well if you invest enough time and effort.

I chose LR for the following reasons:

- Instinctively I found it easier to get down to work.  The adjustment options in develop were more instinctive to me and the learning curve less steep. 

- I spend a of time trying to get the image right in-camera.  This means that with the exception of shrpening the images I rarely dip in to too much pixel editing.  The word is that much of the sharpening issue will be addressed shortly in the 1.1 update. 

- Comprehensive import module.

- Apple support - As a long time Apple user you'll know that they make great products but support them poorly.

- LR beta program.  Adobe really listened to it's potential customers Imo. 

- Adobe has made itself more available than Apple and are more openly responsive.  There are countless Adobe blogs/podcasts where we are getting direct information and feedback about the product's direction.

- There will be a LR SDK.  The modular architecture of LR makes it open to additional modules or features.  I expect over time, some favorite PS actions and plug-ins will make their way to LR.

- The user community is stronger and larger.  Already there are numerous sources providing/sharing presets like those found in the develop module.

- Speed.  The way I use LR works for me.  I import the images and render them at the same time.  By the time I've made a cup of tea it will have processed 200 images.  That's fine for me.  If you import 500 images, and start viewing them at 100% without rendering, then you are going to be disappointed.  IVMP is the champion in this respect.

You'll have noticed I haven't focused on features very much.  Both products will do the same job if you invest enough time to learn them.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=121338\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bellimages

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2007, 05:13:39 pm »

After reading your comments .... and thank you for them .... it seems that neither product may be what I'm looking for. I use, and will continue to use, Photoshop on every image that I process. With that said, is there a program (other than iView) that will do a great job allowing me to organize my files, and view them?

If Bridge (which is a part of Photoshop) will do this, then I should look into it more closely. I understand that Bridge is much more comprehensive in CS3. But I haven't looked into it yet.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2007, 05:40:13 pm »

Bridge has made great improvements in CS3, but can only manage thousands of images in multi folder situations if your search requirements are very limited. It's a folder browser, after all, and more useful for prime entry of metadata than organisation. You'd be best off with iView.

francois

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2007, 04:11:28 am »

I hate to say, out of embarassment, but what is IVMP?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It's iView Media Pro ([a href=\"http://www.iview-multimedia.com/]here[/url]). Michael has a short review here. The product has been acquired by Microsoft last year. The MS branded version is named Microsoft Expression Media...
« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 04:11:53 am by francois »
Francois

Tom Castle

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2007, 08:31:25 pm »

An application that you may find is right up your alley is Photo Mechanic. I've found it to be an outstanding photo browser.

You can find it here.

The View

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2007, 07:33:22 pm »

A very important point of Lightroom is, that is so much an extension of your photography.

I never really enjoyed the wet darkroom, but using Lightroom is a joy in itself, not something you have to do.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.
Pages: [1]   Go Up