Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uprez - 5D file to 100MB 8bit CMYK 300DPI  (Read 4244 times)

jimgolden

• http://
Uprez - 5D file to 100MB 8bit CMYK 300DPI
« on: May 26, 2007, 11:46:43 pm »

hello all.

I'm a lurker here, but my "home @ LL" is the MF forums.

I am a studio shooter, mostly product, lots of apparel on mannequins, lay flat, some models.
most of the stuff is max usage 8.5x11 full bleed imagery. I use a 5D and a Cambo X2-Pro with a few scheindar Digitars for most of the work, except models.

Most of the work is printed CMYK offset or large format(lambda, vutek). DPI ranges from 300 to 150 DPI.

My dilema: file size. recnetly there has been a rash of request for larger files, mostly in the 100MB range. 100MB 8bit CMYK 300DPI, roughly 6000px on the long side. I have begun to push my 5D to it's limits I feel. I have been renting MFDB recently as well, and aren't particually thrilled w/ them and the cameras that accompany them. I do, however, like the fact that a 22MP file off a Imacon CF back (or most other for that matter) need very little sharpening and can be rez'd up thru the roof w/ very little falloff...

my usual workflow: uprez to 6144px in ACR, no sharpening, but I do use noise reduction lumin: 12 and color 25. then ret. and color correct in PShop and smart sharpen on a seperate comp layer above all corrections based on output criteria.

I have read extensive about uprezing files here and other spots online (art of uprez type stuff, etc). I get decent results, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do it better. anyone have insight?
artciles, links, etc...

thx
jim

Alaska

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 02:39:17 am »

I have read extensive about uprezing files here and other spots online (art of uprez type stuff, etc). I get decent results, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do it better. anyone have insight?
artciles, links, etc...

thx
jim
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In case you have not been here, this is a short thread on some upsizing articles.

[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16836&hl=]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....topic=16836&hl=[/url]

Jim

jimgolden

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 01:54:21 pm »

yes, I've seen these, but thanks!

jim

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2007, 11:36:17 am »

You aren't really pushing the limits of your 5D as much as you think. I shoot, monthly, for a client who produces 7.5' to 8' posters for nearly 1000 stores. I use a 1Ds2 for those shots, but at times, they've chosen shots from other cameras (including one several years ago that was shot with a 4MP 1D). I've been doing these posters digitally since the original 1Ds was released. Some of the files end up being 500+ MB, and that's in RGB colorspace. If your workflow is clean, you should have no problems. I've used Genuine Fractals for years and version 5 is the best yet. For smaller increments of enlargement, I'll occasionally use Bicubic Smoother, but GF holds the details the best. Like you, 90% of my work is reproduced CMYK

The 5D produces some of the best quality RAW files in Canon's lineup. Last week my 1Ds2 had a shutter malfunction and I had to rent a 5D for the week. I'll have no problems doing my 8' posters with those files.

I've found it's best not to up-res a file in the converter. I do all my corrections in Photoshop, 16-bit, and as the very last thing I do (next to final sharpening) is up-res the file. ACR is not the cleanest converter out there, though according to Jeff Schewe, version 4.1 is the best yet.

Nemo
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 11:40:29 am by nemophoto »
Pages: [1]   Go Up