Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traveling Ireland  (Read 3406 times)

Jae_Moon

• http://
Traveling Ireland
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:51:31 pm »

I will be traveling in Ireland in the later part of June for 15 days, driving from the Co. Kerry to Co. Antrim in Northern Ireland. I've been reading up on several travel books for good photo potentials but would like to hear from the ones who live there or ones who made photo trip to the Western coasts of Ireland about those fantastic and special places to shoot.

Thank you in advance.

Jae Moon

Richard Morwood

Traveling Ireland
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 05:42:11 pm »

I live in Northern Ireland but last summer spent an idylic week in Connemara, just north of Galway on the West coast. Unbelievable weather (28deg C, white fluffy clouds (neither common in Ireland), unspoilt and deserted beaches, the Atlantic Ocean...photos everywhere you looked). The Burren just South of Galway is, by all accounts, spectacular but I haven't been there yet (hopefully in 2 weeks time).
In the North the Mournes and Murlough Beach near Newcastle always provide plenty of photo opportunities and Strangford Lough is well worth a visit. I'm sure your guides also recommended the North Antrim Coast in and around the Giant's Causeway.
I know I am biased but I feel these are some of the sights that should be seen. However there will be lots of worthy photo opportunities where ever you end up.
Enjoy your trip.
Richard

rvanr

• http://www.vanruitenbeek.com/
Traveling Ireland
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 04:42:39 am »

If you go to Belfast, which I would recommend anyway, one thing to consider doing is booking a special taxi tour around the Catholic and Protestant areas of town and the wall in between the two. The taxi driver will be a member of one of those communities and will give you an insider's view of what happened and is happening there.  You will also be taken to see some murals that you may not find on your own.

I did this a few years ago, and things have slowly changed for the better since then. It gave me a different insight into the issue.

A cannot remember what the company is called but it won't be difficult to find when you're there.

Of course I also recommend the coast around the Giant's Causeway and the Giant's Causeway Hotel is a good place to stay.

Have fun!

kate61

Traveling Ireland
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:34:49 am »

I definitely second the Burren!  It is very interesting and unusual - unlike anything I've seen. And if you are over that way, Cliffs of Moher are spectacular if the weather permits (rainy/foggy days aren'tthe best).  Of course there is the Giants Causeway - popular tourist spot, but nothing like it. Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge is interesting too. Not sure of your route but also Dunluce Castle (here's one link: http://www.travelsinireland.com/castle/dunluce.htm).

Try to find a map that identifies where the dolmens are and see if you can catch a couple of those on your trip - they're kind of neat. The burren has a famous one: Poulnabrone Dolmen but there are many all over the country. Sligo has some beautiful countryside. Really you can't go wrong wherever you are. Have fun.

Kathy

Traveling Ireland
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 07:34:07 pm »

Hi

June is a great time to visit Ireland and the west coast is in my opinion the best part of it. For Ireland you are planning on covering a lot of ground in 15 days as you will be travelling mainly on slow country roads to get to the best landscapes. Do take good waterproof gear for yourself and your camera as the west coast does have periods of heavy rain even in summer. My favourite locations are as follows:-

Kerry - it's all great but with limited time I would concentrate on the lakes and mountains around Killarney, the gardens at Muckross House should be in full bloom. Then to the coast, the whole South Kerry coast is wonderfull but do take in Kenmare, Waterville and the Dingle Peninsula. If you have time and the weather is OK take a boat trip out to the Blasket isles. Also take the road across the Dingle Peninsula from Dingle to Kilcummin over the Connar Pass, spectacular views especially at sunset. Great seafood and Irish music in Dingle.

Clare - use the car ferry from Tarbert to Killimer to cross from Kerry to Clare. As others have said the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren are both worth visiting, the unique flora of the Burren should be in bloom.

Galway - for a taste of Irish city life Galway City has a lot to offer. Connemare offers great scenery both coastal and inland, just explore the little roads down to the little fishing villages. Cliften is a good location for accomodation. A visit to Connemara National Park is worthwhile if you are prepared to take the walk to the top of the hill, the views are stunning. Inland the lakes Lough Mask amd Lough Corrib are very pretty.

Mayo - Westport offers a good choice of accomodation, resturants and music. Clew Bay is said to have an island for every day in the year. I have been there twice and both times the Bay was shrouded in mist. If you want cliff scenery and long golden beaches then Achill Island (connected to the mainland by bridge) has some of the best. There are some great walks one taking in a deserted village offering some great photo opportunities.

bobclewley

Traveling Ireland
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 12:38:50 pm »

Cliffs of Moher are spectacular if the weather permits (rainy/foggy days aren'tthe best).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119702\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Seconding the cliffs of moher....  Fantastic, as it a trip to the Aron Islands (Inishmore)
bob
making the most of the good times...
Pages: [1]   Go Up