Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Profile Question  (Read 1581 times)

markmonk

Monitor Profile Question
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:01:54 pm »

Greetings!  I am new to this forum although I have been a long-time visitor to the Luminous Landscape website.

By way of background, I am a complete newbee to the Apple platform.  I had been a PC believer since sometime in the early 90s.  Recently I purchased an Epson 3800 printer hoping to upgrade my printed images.  I encountered some color management issues using both Lightroom and Photoshop CS3, namely an unacceptable variation between the image displayed on my monitor and the print.  My frustration lead to a moment of doubt and I began investigating alternatives.  Last week I purchased a 24" iMac and thus I find myself standing on foreign ground.

I have one specific question: When I use the standard iMac profile for my display there is a close approximation between the screen image and the resulting print.  However, when I use my EyeOne Display 2 to create a profile for my display there is a very noticeable shift in display color.  Every image, including the desktop, seems occluded by a grayish film.  The gray appearance is not specific to an image; it is display-wide just as you might expect from a uniform change made by a profile.  It was not a calibration glich, as I used the EyeOne four different times -- each producing pretty much the same degree of gray overshadowing.  In re-calibrating I used different monitor brightness settings, but each produced about the same degree of "gray".

I could be content to just use the iMac calibration since the screen images look great and the prints are certainly very accceptable.  However, I had always been told that it was necessary to use a device to calibrate my monitors.

Any suggestions?  It seems ironic that the mac would perform almost flawlessly right out of the box, and I only encountered some problems when trying to establish a good color management work flow.

Sincerely,
markmonk
Pages: [1]   Go Up