Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3100 Print Truncated  (Read 4014 times)

Charlesu

Z3100 Print Truncated
« on: May 23, 2007, 11:11:50 pm »

OK  This is a weird one.  

I've had several prints in the last 24 hours come out truncated for no apparent reason.  

My GE is low, but still registers and what is printed does have the GE on it.

But I've now blown 3 prints as they've come out 3-8 inches short with no other warning, etc.  

Anyone seen anything like this?

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:24:42 am »

OK  This is a weird one. 

I've had several prints in the last 24 hours come out truncated for no apparent reason. 

But I've now blown 3 prints as they've come out 3-8 inches short with no other warning, etc. 

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What is cut off from the image isn't white area ?  The driver has one option for cutting the images back to image content only which means any white area in the image like margins can be removed. See the feature: remove top-bottom blank area.

Probably not related: In the lay-out features you can use the white margins in the image if available to compensate the 5 mm paper waste at the cuts so you get a cut page without waste. Used that yesterday on 50 prints, saves on cutting and paper.

Printing big images from which program ?  There have been issues with pixel quantity limits that may show at the end of the printed page. No problem here with Qimage.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Charlesu

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 07:28:02 am »

What is cut off from the image isn't white area ?  The driver has one option for cutting the images back to image content only which means any white area in the image like margins can be removed. See the feature: remove top-bottom blank area.

Probably not related: In the lay-out features you can use the white margins in the image if available to compensate the 5 mm paper waste at the cuts so you get a cut page without waste. Used that yesterday on 50 prints, saves on cutting and paper.

Printing big images from which program ?  There have been issues with pixel quantity limits that may show at the end of the printed page. No problem here with Qimage.

Ernst Dinkla

try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Printing large images from PS.  Shouldn't be a pixel limit as some of these have printed fine.  We're not talking about blank areas or what have you.  We're talking halfway thru someone's headshot the printer just wraps things up.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 08:25:18 am »

Printing large images from PS.  Shouldn't be a pixel limit as some of these have printed fine.  We're not talking about blank areas or what have you.  We're talking halfway thru someone's headshot the printer just wraps things up.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The printer is ready again for the next print after that failure ?

If so then something goes wrong at spooling stage or in the transfer to the printer or worse. The first can be checked by keeping the files in the spooler (driver setting) and find whether there's a difference in size between the file that prints correctly and the one that crops.

The printer has an accounting log file of the last 10 jobs that should show the same data for the same print jobs. If there's a difference in the spooler between jobs it happens before the transfer. If there's a difference in the accounting log between jobs and not in the spooler then something happens in transfer. Could be the network, USB cable or something in the printer internals including the harddisc.

If the job is marked cancelled in the accounting log then something from the spooler interfered or a faulty paper sensor thinks the roll ended. But in that last case the printer will not get ready for the next job.

Just thinking, I have not had similar problems.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

Charlie B

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 10:37:33 am »

OK  This is a weird one. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119311\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I had the same problem with my 3100 early on. Can't remember which of several things I did that resolved that particular problem. The things I did to resolve several problems which do not exist today were: reinstall driver, install 4.2.0.2 firmware and change from USB2 connection to ethernet. One of those changes took care of the problem, but can't remember which. I do know that each of those changes improved things. Oh, and one more thing: I removed the driver for my Epson 7600.

Charlie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 04:52:48 pm by Charlie B »

Charlesu

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 10:54:48 pm »

So here's a little more info.

All of the images are custom size and large prints.  The ones that were truncated were like 24x30 or 24x36 and were truncated at 24x20.

Today I printed a 24x20 and it continued to  "print" (GE only) well past the image, as if I was printing a 24x30 or what have you.  

So what it appears to be is that the custom sizes are now mixed up and not printing correctly.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I thought about deleting them and re-creating as needed. I only have about 5 of them.  

I have rebooted my pc (problem still occurs) but have not rebooted the printer.

Ernst Dinkla

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 04:07:04 am »

So here's a little more info.

All of the images are custom size and large prints.  The ones that were truncated were like 24x30 or 24x36 and were truncated at 24x20.

Today I printed a 24x20 and it continued to  "print" (GE only) well past the image, as if I was printing a 24x30 or what have you. 

So what it appears to be is that the custom sizes are now mixed up and not printing correctly.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?  I thought about deleting them and re-creating as needed. I only have about 5 of them. 

I have rebooted my pc (problem still occurs) but have not rebooted the printer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119491\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Do you use a preview of the print page ?  The HP Z3100 driver is quirky on the page size settings. I now use one "temporary" custom size that is customised on size per job and saved and then selected. In Qimage I can see that print page size and the way the images are put on that print page. When new to the printer I often got default sizes or the size used in the job before, at least that preview window warned me for that kind of mistakes. The method I use now works.

The Z3100 driver has/had a problem with too many custom sizes. Your problem could also be related to that. On Windows you can delete custom sizes in the start>settings>printers>server properties menu when the driver chokes on too many.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com

dkeyes

• http://
Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 01:08:32 pm »

This may sound obvious but maybe your page setup sizes are actually not the size you have named them. I often go in to add a new size and mistakenly save it under a different name/size. ie 20x24 is actually 20x30, etc.

Charlesu

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 08:35:09 pm »

This may sound obvious but maybe your page setup sizes are actually not the size you have named them. I often go in to add a new size and mistakenly save it under a different name/size. ie 20x24 is actually 20x30, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119582\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

These sizes have worked correctly before.

Charlesu

Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 08:38:01 pm »

Do you use a preview of the print page ?  The HP Z3100 driver is quirky on the page size settings. I now use one "temporary" custom size that is customised on size per job and saved and then selected. In Qimage I can see that print page size and the way the images are put on that print page. When new to the printer I often got default sizes or the size used in the job before, at least that preview window warned me for that kind of mistakes. The method I use now works.

The Z3100 driver has/had a problem with too many custom sizes. Your problem could also be related to that. On Windows you can delete custom sizes in the start>settings>printers>server properties menu when the driver chokes on too many.

Ernst Dinkla

www.pigment-print.com
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119511\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the heads up on that.  I might delete them and start over.

CliffSamys

• http://samys.com
Z3100 Print Truncated
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 12:25:33 am »

I'm seeing this sometimes as well. Can't figure it out. I will print a couple 44x62ish sized prints. then the 3rd one will crap out at some random place. This used to be predictable on USB, but is now random.
I also have difficulties printing tis size image from a file over 240 dpi. And I am confused about the actual print size limit. 68" seems to be too big. 62" goes mostly. Anyone have a firm maximum page size or rez/image size?
Cliff
Samy's Camera, Pro Digital Mana
Pages: [1]   Go Up