Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The first lens for digital rebel XT  (Read 2226 times)

raj07

The first lens for digital rebel XT
« on: May 23, 2007, 02:21:29 pm »

Hello Gurus,

I am planning to take a canon rebel XT body, but have not decided on the first lens to be bought. I dont want to spend much on the first lens . Around 400$ .

I would really appreciate if someone could list/point to some of their favourite lenses. ( I am interseted in nature/landscape photos and more than that in birds/animals).So that puts me in a difficult situation between choosing a single lens with both wide angle and telephoto capacity. ( of course i would like the macro too)

Thanks

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 02:36:05 pm »

Why not get the canon kit 18-55 lens and the canon 55-200usm II (or sigma 70-300 apo super macro ii or something with most of those words).

Or perhaps the sigma 17-70 and 55-200.  (Would run you closer to $500.)

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 02:40:18 pm »

If you can wait a few weeks (at least I hope it's only a few weeks), the new OS version of the Sigma 18-200 should be shipping, at about $550.  OS is what Sigma calls its version of IS, image stabilization.  Very useful.

If you can't wait, or don't want to spend that much, the non-OS version is already available for about $400.  It's not a bad lens at all and is about the only thing around that will cover the range you want.  On the XT's 1.6x crop it provides a range of focal lengths equivalent to about 28 to 300mm on a 35mm body.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

dmg

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2007, 02:47:04 am »

Hello Gurus,

I am planning to take a canon rebel XT body, but have not decided on the first lens to be bought. I dont want to spend much on the first lens . Around 400$ .

I would really appreciate if someone could list/point to some of their favourite lenses. ( I am interseted in nature/landscape photos and more than that in birds/animals).So that puts me in a difficult situation between choosing a single lens with both wide angle and telephoto capacity. ( of course i would like the macro too)

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119226\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

EF 50 1.8. It is a no brainer. No lens will give you better value.

dmg
Pages: [1]   Go Up