Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Instant preview in LR after shooting?  (Read 2618 times)

reissme

Instant preview in LR after shooting?
« on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:55 am »

1.  When I shoot with my EOS-1Ds Mark II, connected to my PC, via EOS Viewer Utility, it takes 8 seconds to see the file (even if it is 100%) on the screen. When shooting using LR, It takes 26 seconds to see the sharp file until "loading" disappear. Does anyone know ways how to shorten this time to a minimum?

What are the factors that are responsible to this long times, beside the size of the file which are identical in EVU and in LR? (I am using Pentium 4, CPU 3 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM for shooting.)

2.  Can I export CR2 to another computer via LR? Or do I have to export only DNG?

3.  Why can't I see the ratings in the second computer, when I export rated files into it?  What is the way to export the data and ratings together with the files?

Thanks in advance

Menachem Reiss           www.reiss.co.il

reissme

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 03:34:38 pm »

1.  When I shoot with my EOS-1Ds Mark II, connected to my PC, via EOS Viewer Utility, it takes 8 seconds to see the file (even if it is 100%) on the screen. When shooting using LR, It takes 26 seconds to see the sharp file until "loading" disappear. Does anyone know ways how to shorten this time to a minimum?

What are the factors that are responsible to this long times, beside the size of the file which are identical in EVU and in LR? (I am using Pentium 4, CPU 3 GHz with 1.5 GB RAM for shooting.)

2.  Can I export CR2 to another computer via LR? Or do I have to export only DNG?

3.  Why can't I see the ratings in the second computer, when I export rated files into it?  What is the way to export the data and ratings together with the files?

Thanks in advance

Menachem Reiss           www.reiss.co.il
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119188\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
It seems nobody knows how to speed preview when shooting, or there isn't a way of doing so. I understand that there isn't a way of delivring rating and data when importing to another computer.

peter.doerrie

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 05:39:25 pm »

Im not sure, but i think, that you can export images with metadata (ratings, keywords, etc.)

The problem is, that Lightroom does not write the data into the file, but only links it with the file via the database. So if you want the data merged with your file, you can tell Lightroom to export this data.

I just had a look and I found at least two options (under "Metadata" in the Library Module)

one reads "export keywords" the other " export xmp metadata to file"

Maybe those two can solve one of your problems.

EDIT: Maybe you can fasten the preview by choosing a lower Preview Quality. You cab change this setting under "Edit"-"Preferences..."-"File Management"
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 05:42:19 pm by peter.doerrie »

reissme

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 03:35:04 am »

Im not sure, but i think, that you can export images with metadata (ratings, keywords, etc.)

The problem is, that Lightroom does not write the data into the file, but only links it with the file via the database. So if you want the data merged with your file, you can tell Lightroom to export this data.

I just had a look and I found at least two options (under "Metadata" in the Library Module)

one reads "export keywords" the other " export xmp metadata to file"

Maybe those two can solve one of your problems.
EDIT: Maybe you can fasten the preview by choosing a lower Preview Quality. You cab change this setting under "Edit"-"Preferences..."-"File Management"
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119457\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you Peter for showing me those options.
I looked at the options you wrote and I don't see how I can use them to export many files with different rating and keywords from my, on location, shooting laptop, (with the client and my rating and keywords), via net cable to my working computer where I develop the files. It looks stupid doing it all over again.

About speeding the preview - lower Preview Quality has almost no affect on speeding the slow loading time to show the file right after shooting. I don’t see even the option to “develop”/ show, the JPG coming together with the CR2 in order to speed the “loading/ view time,
Best regards
Menachem Reiss   www.reiss.co.il
Pages: [1]   Go Up