Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are my eyes deceivng me?  (Read 2767 times)

JerryReed

• jerry@jerryreed.net
    • http://jerryreed.net
Are my eyes deceivng me?
« on: May 23, 2007, 07:09:36 am »

I general post my message on this part of the board, because people here are looking for the highest quality and I am too, as a giclee printer.

I have been having the strange feeling that I have made a mistake in the choice to change to a different canvas surface to print my giclees on.  Perhaps, someone here has used this product and may be able to add to my understand of what might be going on:

After using for four years EPSON's CANVAS (not the water resistant one) I acted on the recommendation of a class instructor who advocated for Breathing Color's CHROMATA WHITE canvas.  I bought 3 forty-four inch rolls and at this writing have used two of the three rolls.

These are things that I am sure of.  Later, I will pose a question about which I am uncertain, are my eyes deceiving me?

The BC canvas is much thicker than EPSON's requiring the platten of the EPSON 9800 to be widened from standard past wider to widest to avoid the problem I encountered, which was that after the pigment was laid down the surface would flake off taking the color with it leaving gaps in the image.  This makes the whole giclee worthless.  Big waste of money.  Calls to BC led me to the understanding that the gap must be wider.  No where in the literature is this need described.

Further, the Glamour II product is quite difficult to apply smoothly.  Which resulted in more losses.

Now the part about which I am uncertain and am looking for any other users to weigh in about their experiences:

The color using Image Print's printer profile from COLOR BYTE is just not as vivid as I was getting from the EPSON canvas.  The color is accurate, but just down a notch in vibrancy.  Hard to describe in any other way.  But, an artist whose work I have been doing for some time says that she can see the difference.

So, what do you all think?

Jerry Reed

Joe Behar

Are my eyes deceivng me?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:14:20 am »

Seems to me you've answered your own questions.

You had a product that was doing the job just fine.

You switched to a different product and are getting substandard results.

To quote a bumper sticker "what would Jimmy Buffet do?"

Probably the same thing I would....Go back to the original product that was doing the job, chalk this one up to experience and not buy 3 rolls of anything new again without getting some sample material to confirm it will do the job.

Just my $0.02....Canadaian at that

clawery

• http://www.captureintegration.com  / www.chrislawery.com
Are my eyes deceivng me?
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:47 am »

Jerry,

I believe Joe is correct, I might go back to the Epson product that you were using.  I wish I could help you with your specific problem, but I would rather have you talk to someone we work with that really knows his stuff.  His name is Jim Robbins from AllSquare Computer Technologies.  He really knows his papers and inks.

Jim Robbins
Giclee Printing and Supplies Director

AllSquare Computer Technologies
29 East Main Street
Taylors, SC 29687

Toll Free - 888-286-8801
Fax - 864-286-0317
Cellular - 864-608-7754
www.allsquare.com
jim@allsquare.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Are my eyes deceivng me?
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 12:24:24 pm »

Calls to BC led me to the understanding that the gap must be wider.  No where in the literature is this need described.

Further, the Glamour II product is quite difficult to apply smoothly.  Jerry Reed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119156\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually, on the BC website---under "Profiles" it does state that you should select a wider platen gap when printing on their canvas.  I've had good results with the Brilliance Chromata canvas, but it is smooth---they do have a new textured canvas which I have not seen/used.  Crane also has a new canvas which interests me.

The Glamour II veneer is very good, but it certainly is not easy to use without some effort to master.  I have found that it is extremely important to dilute the mix with about a 50/50 ratio of Glamour II and water.  Mix well.  Apply generously with roller from left to right.  Re-apply sparingly left to right using only the roller's weight across the print.  Let dry at least an hour.  I often apply a second coat which seems to "finish" the print best.  BC advertises Glamour II for all their media, but I wouldn't use it for anything but canvas.  Premier Art Spray is easiest on other media.
Pages: [1]   Go Up