Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convert to Vectors?  (Read 11082 times)

Rogier

Convert to Vectors?
« on: May 23, 2007, 01:01:46 am »

Hi,

I would like to turn some images into "editable" vectors " or what ever it taked to automatically outline parts of images based on contrast / color and be able to "fill" these images with the color's / texture I want.

Kind of turing pictures into cartoon images idea...

Any one have a clue ?

Thanks in advanve :-)

peterhorsley

Convert to Vectors?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 03:12:13 am »

"editable" vectors " or what ever it taked to automatically outline parts of images based on contrast / color and be able to "fill" these images with the color's / texture I want.

Kind of turing pictures into cartoon images idea...

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi Rogier,

This is a job for Photoshop!  There are a whole lot of different ways to find the 'outlines' you want but ulimately you will want to make the outline a selection then convert the selection to a path.  The path is the vector image you are looking for.  To make the outline you could try combinations of: posterizing the image and selecting a colour; using the 'find edges' filter; use levels to isolate a tone; base a selection on a colour; replacing a colour range with a single colour... You'll probably want to do some smoothing.  Exporting a path to Illustrator gives another world of possibilities.
Maybe this link will give you some ideas : [a href=\"http://www.talk-mania.com/showthread.php?t=23915]Photoshop Cartoon[/url]

Peter

GregW

• http://
Convert to Vectors?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 06:35:10 am »

I've had some succes with using the 'Trace Bitmap' tool in flash.  You can then export the file to .eps or as an Illustrator document.  As Peter says once it's in Illustrator you'll have lots of options available.

Rogier

Convert to Vectors?
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 11:08:35 am »

Thanks for all the tips!
Pages: [1]   Go Up