Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macro or Heavy Lens Tripod...  (Read 3501 times)

daethon

Macro or Heavy Lens Tripod...
« on: May 23, 2007, 12:44:02 am »

In the next 6 months I'll be needing to buy a new tripod.  I have been using a light one that can not support the weight Canon 180MM Macro lens.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a good mid-level tripod for a...beginning...macro photographer?  Or a tripod that could be used for "most macro" as well as "most normal" photographs with that heavy, and potentially even heavier lenses...?

Thanks in advance...

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 10:10:08 pm »

In the next 6 months I'll be needing to buy a new tripod.  I have been using a light one that can not support the weight Canon 180MM Macro lens. 

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would be a good mid-level tripod for a...beginning...macro photographer?  Or a tripod that could be used for "most macro" as well as "most normal" photographs with that heavy, and potentially even heavier lenses...?
Thanks in advance...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Gitzo 1325 is a good choice.  I recommend it with the Acratech ball head. You can spread the legs wide so that you can get all the way down to the ground.   Extended it will go up to 58".  I have used mine for years with the 400mm Canon.

daethon

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 04:32:14 pm »

The Gitzo 1325 is a good choice.  I recommend it with the Acratech ball head. You can spread the legs wide so that you can get all the way down to the ground.   Extended it will go up to 58".  I have used mine for years with the 400mm Canon.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119667\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Can you put the post horizontally?

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 05:02:11 pm »

Can you put the post horizontally?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120019\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 1325 does not have a center post, which is why I recommend it.  It is almost impossible to get good stability with a center post.

MarkKay

• http://markkayphotography.smugmug.com/gallery/1305161
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2007, 05:12:53 pm »

I agree stay away from the center column tripods.  If you only want a tripod for ground shooting, RRS makes a great little one but it is pricey and very specialized for low macro shooting.  If you can afford it the arca swiss cube which can be mounted on any tripod as a head is outstanding for macro shooting. Again, this arca cube is very pricey running about 1500 dollars. Anyway, stay away from the center column tripods.

The 1325 does not have a center post, which is why I recommend it.  It is almost impossible to get good stability with a center post.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120023\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Pages: [1]   Go Up