Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dunree Hill Fort  (Read 3323 times)

amcinroy

Dunree Hill Fort
« on: May 22, 2007, 08:28:58 am »

I've just completed a portfolio of 16 images of an old hill fort in Donegal, Ireland.

You can view the complete portfolio and statement of intent here
http://www.andymcinroy.com/4port.htm

Here's a couple to give you a flavour. C+C most welcome.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

fennario

Dunree Hill Fort
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 03:57:17 pm »

I liked the first one quite a bit.  The tone, sky and chimneys all come together very nicely. As far as a critique goes, I had a few small nits with the composition.

1. Try and get the chimneys to line up in such a manner as to achive an equal spacing between them; and

2. Slight adjustment to level the verticals/horizion; and

3. Bring the white structure in the background to the edge of the frame, matcing the spacing/margin of the steps along the leftmost chimney

4. Would have liked to see the entirety of the hole in the clouds (if feasible)

amcinroy

Dunree Hill Fort
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 04:18:09 am »

Thanks Fennario.

Did you get a chance to look at the rest of the portfolio?

I appreciate the comments. This project is an attempt at something different for me.

Does anybody have any comments regarding the portfolio as a whole, particularly if you feel it is consistent to the theme.

Andy
Andy McInroy Photography
Landscapes of I

LoisWakeman

Dunree Hill Fort
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:49:36 am »

Does anybody have any comments regarding the portfolio as a whole, particularly if you feel it is consistent to the theme.[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=120375\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Andy - yes and no. I very much like the closer shots of windows, doors and surface textures (one of my "things"), which all seem to hang together well.

The more general shots (the chimneys, the barracks etc) are not plentiful enough (IMO) to add to the portfolio. You could perhaps mitigate that by leading the eye in by having the general shots first and the particular later in the sequence.

A general observation: a lot of your images are not taken straight on, so have perspective "leaning". That might be deliberate - but it annoys me a bit. The strength of the images is in the opposition of extreme formality (right angles/lines) versus decay, overgrowth and collapse. You lose part of that by not exploiting the orthogonal aspects better - as I said, just my opinion.

But overall - a nice series of a fascinating location. I like your narrative intro too (note spelling of "corrugated"!)
Pages: [1]   Go Up