Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: .xmp-sidecar files  (Read 7096 times)

rainmac

.xmp-sidecar files
« on: May 21, 2007, 07:04:50 pm »

i am not able to locate my xmp files.
i am working with .CR2 files from a canon 5D
if none are created, where is the data of all my applied changes
please help!

thank you
rainer

Wolf Eilers

.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 10:36:10 pm »

The metadata is stored in a database. To create the xmp files you need to either explicitly export them (Metadata>XMP> Export XMP Metadata to File), or tick the preference setting in the Metadata area of the File Management tab.

However, why do want to export the metadata? Do you want Bridge to use the xmp files? Do you want to import to another Lr database?

rainmac

.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 01:51:40 pm »

The metadata is stored in a database. To create the xmp files you need to either explicitly export them (Metadata>XMP> Export XMP Metadata to File), or tick the preference setting in the Metadata area of the File Management tab.

However, why do want to export the metadata? Do you want Bridge to use the xmp files? Do you want to import to another Lr database?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118933\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hi wolf,

thank you for your answer, great to know~!
i have been a capture one user and was used to having a folder that holds all my changes, right in the folder that holds the raw files. the fact that everything is sitting in a database seems a bit limiting. i used to be able to bring a folder and open in on any comp with c-one and voila, all my changes where still there...

i guess the previews are stored in the database also?
which settings do you recommend for creatinbg previews?

thank you for your help
best
rainer

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 04:15:12 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=0\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i have been using LR for a while now and i am a little confused now.....i work with my P30 files in LR....every file i import into LR gets a .xmp sidecar right next to it, in the same folder, with the same name, but obviously with the .xmp extention.....is that metadata still stored in the central database? why am i getting the .xmp files with the originals? because the phase files are not officially supported? the preference tab you are referring only has the  check box: "automatically write changes into xmp".....i don't see why this would create "external" .xmp files (or not).....doesn't this just mean that i want my files to be updated constantly "on the fly"?  
i too would like to know where exactly the data is stored.....thanks

john beardsworth

• My photography site
.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 05:05:24 pm »

The data is still held in the database. That preference does make LR also export the xmp sidecar files as well. Some people may want this checked, eg so any changes will also be visible in Bridge.

John

Wolf Eilers

.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 12:22:15 am »

i guess the previews are stored in the database also?
which settings do you recommend for creatinbg previews?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The previews (on Windows) are not stored in the Lr database but in a directory called Lightroom Previews.lrdata which is stored in the same directory as the database.

I also recommend that the Lr library (containing the previews and database) be located on a dedicated drive or partition. Please see this Adobe [a href=\"http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333736]TechNote[/url] for more library information.

As for previews, the rule of thumb is to generate a size similar to screen width  -- I use 1680 pixels at medium quality.

Wolf Eilers

.xmp-sidecar files
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 12:31:15 am »

"automatically write changes into xmp".....i don't see why this would create "external" .xmp files (or not).....doesn't this just mean that i want my files to be updated constantly "on the fly"?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119048\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, it means that xmp files are created and updated every time you make metadata or parametric changes. And you only want to do this if you absolutely need the xmp files.

Why do you need xmp files? Other programs (Adobe Bridge is an example) can read the xmp files to update its database or have ACR read the parametric information so develop settings match. But here's the key thing -- export xmp only if it's required. And Lr does not insist that xmp files to be exported since all the metadata/parametric information is in the database. A database you will religiously backup because of it's importance.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:31:47 am by Wolf Eilers »
Pages: [1]   Go Up