Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 9800: Switching between MK and PK: Driver n  (Read 2639 times)

davidjwright

Epson 9800: Switching between MK and PK: Driver n
« on: May 21, 2007, 02:54:15 pm »

Hello,

I have just completed switching my Epson 9800 from Matte Black to Photo Black but am now having trouble with the driver, I think.  I deleted and re-added the printer in the Max OSX dialogue, restarted the computer, etc.

I'm using the Ilford Smooth Pearl profile and it appears fine in the intial Photoshop print preview dialogue, but upon entering the second dialogue under "Print Settings" only Matte paper / ink combinations appear and I'm in need of the semi-gloss setting.

Any thoughts on how to remedy this situation?  Thank you.

David

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 03:32:44 pm »

Try downloading and installing (re-installing) all of the Epson 9800 profiles (e.g., from the Epson web site)?
Eric Chan

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 11:20:49 am »

"I'm using the Ilford Smooth Pearl profile and it appears fine in the intial Photoshop print preview dialogue, but upon entering the second dialogue under "Print Settings" only Matte paper / ink combinations appear and I'm in need of the semi-gloss setting."

When you switch to the matte ink and reload the driver, you only get the paper options Epson deems appropriate for matte inks. The profile you have is no longer valid, as it was probably made with photo black. In any event, you'll have to re-profile using one of the available settings. Print a standard test target raw through the driver with no color management and NCA to determine the best paper setting. I've found that printing on Hahnemuhle FAP, which completely sucked with photo black, is MUCH nicer with matte inks and using the Ultra Smoot paper setting. The "L" value for the blackest black came down from about 13 to 8.4, suddenly adding the punch that the paper was sorely lacking. It's now a usuable paper.
Pages: [1]   Go Up