Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3800 woes  (Read 3875 times)

Larry Weathers

Epson 3800 woes
« on: May 20, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »

I have two issues with my Epson 3800. The first relates to the printer leaving vertical dotted lines on 4x6 Kodak consumer paper. This doesn't always occur, but per Murphy's law, seems to occur only when I have an urgent need for the print. It was happening last night and I changed to 8-1/2 x 11 Sunset E-satin paper. The lines did not appear on the larger paper. I have tried changing the platen gap to wide and setting custom paper settings to no avail.

The other issue seems to be the opposite of a clogged nozzle. The print gets flooded with ink, especially black. It will almost run off the paper. One sheet I printed a week ago is still wet. The trial and error approach is getting quite expensive! I plan on calling Epson tomorrow, but really need to run some prints tonight. The "flooding" does not occur with Epson test prints.

NikosR

• http://
Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007, 01:22:08 am »

Larry,

Are you sure you're using paper recommended for pigment ink printers? Not all third party gloss and satin papers are good for pigments. Using a paper only suitable for dye based inks might cause the not-drying ink symptom.

Also, make sure you select a suitably similar Epson paper in paper configuration when using a third party paper (this will determine the use of MK vs PK black and the amount of ink to set down). The amount of ink can be also tuned in the driver.

Just my two Euro cents worth.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 01:30:41 am by NikosR »
Nikos

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 07:52:54 am »

...The other issue seems to be the opposite of a clogged nozzle. The print gets flooded with ink, especially black. It will almost run off the paper. One sheet I printed a week ago is still wet. The trial and error approach is getting quite expensive! I plan on calling Epson tomorrow, but really need to run some prints tonight. The "flooding" does not occur with Epson test prints.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've had this happen when I accidentally printed on the wrong side of the paper... ?

Nill
~~
[a href=\"http://www.toulme.net]www.toulme.net[/url]

picnic

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 09:54:25 am »

I have two issues with my Epson 3800. The first relates to the printer leaving vertical dotted lines on 4x6 Kodak consumer paper. This doesn't always occur, but per Murphy's law, seems to occur only when I have an urgent need for the print. It was happening last night and I changed to 8-1/2 x 11 Sunset E-satin paper. The lines did not appear on the larger paper. I have tried changing the platen gap to wide and setting custom paper settings to no avail.

The other issue seems to be the opposite of a clogged nozzle. The print gets flooded with ink, especially black. It will almost run off the paper. One sheet I printed a week ago is still wet. The trial and error approach is getting quite expensive! I plan on calling Epson tomorrow, but really need to run some prints tonight. The "flooding" does not occur with Epson test prints.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118763\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've never been able to use Kodak paper except in a dye ink printer like the 1280 or 875.  It sounds very much like what both of the other posters have mentioned---wrong paper for pigment printer.  The vertical dotted lines are pizza tracks I think--they appear to happen particularly when the ink isn't drying before the printer moves--and the same with the ink not drying---its sitting on top of the paper.  

I'd try Epson paper (as you did---which leads to the thought that this paper is just not applicable for pigment printers) or another 3rd party paper (lots of them work great)--and be sure you are using the correct media setting and profile.  I suspect that Epson will tell you the same--in fact, if you do a bit of research I think you will find that they won't give support for any papers except Epsons.

Diane

Nill Toulme

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007, 09:58:07 am »

...which is not to say you can only use Epson papers, just papers that are appropriate for the printer.  My standard paper, for example, is InkJetArt MC Luster.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 09:59:10 am by Nill Toulme »

picnic

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2007, 12:03:39 pm »

...which is not to say you can only use Epson papers, just papers that are appropriate for the printer.  My standard paper, for example, is InkJetArt MC Luster.

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118834\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Oh, I agree--in fact I'm only using 3rd party papers now.  IJA MC luster is my luster of choice (on roll--bought before the 17 x 25 sheets), I use Hawks Mt. Condor BW for mono (27 x 25 sheets that I cut if needed) and Innova Fibaprint Semimatte for my 'special' paper---too pricey to use all the time, primarily for boxed portfolio and only bought in 8.5 x 11.  I'm not using any Epson papers except what I have leftover from my 2200 printing.

Diane

Nill Toulme

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 12:07:32 pm »

I knew you knew.  ;-)  I just didn't want Larry to think he was limited.

Does that Innova paper use MK or PK black?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net

Larry Weathers

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 12:10:39 pm »

I've had this happen when I accidentally printed on the wrong side of the paper... ?

Nill
~~
www.toulme.net
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118816\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Nill,

Makes a lot of difference doesn't it!    Now if I can get the next four sheets to print the same tones as the first, I'll be good-to-go.

madmanchan

• Web
Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2007, 03:34:56 pm »

In general, it's a good idea to check if the paper package lists the paper as being compatible with pigment inks. As noted above, some papers are only compatible with dye-based inks.

Nill, the FibaPrint White Semi-Matte paper is for Photo Black ink.

In fact, all of the Innova FibaPrint papers are designed to be used with Photo Black except for FibaPrint White Matte, which is designed to be used with Matte Black.
Eric Chan

picnic

Epson 3800 woes
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2007, 06:28:04 pm »

In general, it's a good idea to check if the paper package lists the paper as being compatible with pigment inks. As noted above, some papers are only compatible with dye-based inks.

Nill, the FibaPrint White Semi-Matte paper is for Photo Black ink.

In fact, all of the Innova FibaPrint papers are designed to be used with Photo Black except for FibaPrint White Matte, which is designed to be used with Matte Black.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks Eric for answering this---I love the paper and I sampled all the other similar papers from others.  This was my favorite.

Diane
Pages: [1]   Go Up