Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Monitor Power Switching  (Read 4216 times)

JPrimgaard

Monitor Power Switching
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:49:05 pm »

Since I don't see a forum for computer hardware, perhaps there's an answer to be had from within this forum.

Is there any reason not to connect a CRT monitor to a switchable power strip and use the strip as the on/off instead of the power button on the monitor itself?

Having two monitors I find it easier to turn them on and off from a power protection unit that has a row of on/off switches for connected devices.  Was just curious if anyone knew of any issues with power surges when power is introduced to the monitor when the monitors power button is left on and the power comes from upstream.  I guess I'm asking if there is any kind of power buffering or stepped increase when using the onboard switching that should not be bypassed?

Thanks,

Jake

KeithR

Monitor Power Switching
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 03:05:04 pm »

I'm not an expert, but I have always plugged my monitor in a "strip" and havn't had any problems for the past 10 years. In fact, it is the type that I set the monitor on top off and has switches fro printer, monitor,computer, and a couple of others. It is all switched on with one master switch.  

Since I don't see a forum for computer hardware, perhaps there's an answer to be had from within this forum.

Is there any reason not to connect a CRT monitor to a switchable power strip and use the strip as the on/off instead of the power button on the monitor itself?

Having two monitors I find it easier to turn them on and off from a power protection unit that has a row of on/off switches for connected devices.  Was just curious if anyone knew of any issues with power surges when power is introduced to the monitor when the monitors power button is left on and the power comes from upstream.  I guess I'm asking if there is any kind of power buffering or stepped increase when using the onboard switching that should not be bypassed?

Thanks,

Jake
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118696\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

Alaska

Monitor Power Switching
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 05:20:29 pm »

Most computers and monitors have a small keep alive circuit. This takes power from the line even if the power switch is turned off.  Many computers have this same type of circuit to keep the NIC card (CAT 5) alive so that wake up on LAN can be enabled.

By using a power strip all of these items are turned off.  The overall result is that you will save some on your power bill.  As an example, if a device takes 6 watts to keep it alive you would save $5.18 per year based on ten cents per KW.

Overall I do the same on this end with a power strip on all computers and printers.  Thus when it is off it is really off.

Jim

JPrimgaard

Monitor Power Switching
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 06:51:08 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

I'll keep doing it the same way then.  Just didn't want to toast my Artisan, they don't make them anymore.  Would like to get maximum mileage out of it.

Jake
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:51:33 pm by JPrimgaard »

Shutterbug2006

Monitor Power Switching
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 06:54:05 pm »

Some monitors will lose custom settings if the monitor is disconnected from a live AC source, so the keep-alive circuitry is not just for quick power-on. But there is no other real technical reason that you can't do what you suggest. It certainly won't harm the monitor in any way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up