Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting to download  (Read 3176 times)

KeithR

Converting to download
« on: May 20, 2007, 01:20:09 pm »

I have been on the fence about downloading the tutorial and the LLVJ since the announcements and have questions. As one who would rather have the physical DVD in hand and realizing that that is not going to happen with the tutorial and will likely be ended with the cost of downloading be more cost effective for MR, I want to know how they can be converted to DVD after downloading them. I too would rather watch the LLVJ on the "big" screen as opposed to a computer. I have no experirence with DVD burning or the various formats. I have been reading about ISO files, and get the impression that they would be the prefered format for burning DVD's. What is it about ISO files that make it a better download? I know that there has been much talk about this and just wondered if there is a prefered methodology as to which way to go as far as quality goes. What is ISO going to do for me burning DVD wise?. Has it something to do with the addition of an index(table of contents, if you will)? Is the quality that much better? Do I need to convert the files to a specific file format before burning a DVD?
If I go the download route for the remainder of my LLVJ subscription, is the 2 for one still on going? How long do the downloads take(I'm on a DSL)?
I know there are a lot of questions here, and will probably come up with more, so I hope you can excuse me of wanting to know the answers. I look at it as if your trying to find the answer to something, then the only dumb question is the one not asked.
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
Converting to download
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 05:05:42 pm »

Hi Keith!

Given your preference for having physical DVD media, you are best downloading the ISO files which are essentially an "image" of what is on the DVD.  There are free utilities that will transfer and "burn" the ISO file to DVD media.  For the Windows platform, I use and can highly recommend:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Most relatively recent players will handle DVD+R or DVD-R media with no problems.

I on the other hand prefer the flexibility of individual MP4 files, freeing me to watch the content on any of my computers, as well as transferring to DVD using:

http://www.aoamedia.com/dvdcreator.htm

hth - John

KeithR

Converting to download
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 08:25:55 pm »

John,

Thanks for the info. As far as I know( and I could very well be wrong) I thought the ISO files are not yet available. But I will definetly look into the sw. I have sent 2 emails requesting my subscription be changed to the download version, and until I hear back, I'll have to wait. I did just download the LR tutorial(that took some time!) and hope to put that on DVD soon. The burner I bought came with Roxio 8, but I intend to look into AoA. Again, thanks.

Hi Keith!

Given your preference for having physical DVD media, you are best downloading the ISO files which are essentially an "image" of what is on the DVD.  There are free utilities that will transfer and "burn" the ISO file to DVD media.  For the Windows platform, I use and can highly recommend:

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

Most relatively recent players will handle DVD+R or DVD-R media with no problems.

I on the other hand prefer the flexibility of individual MP4 files, freeing me to watch the content on any of my computers, as well as transferring to DVD using:

http://www.aoamedia.com/dvdcreator.htm

hth - John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119052\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience

reyn_two

Converting to download
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 03:59:28 am »

Keith,
I would also have a look at DvdFlick dvdflick
it's free, try it out against the demo version of AoA DVD Creator, works fine for me.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up