Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Utah: Zion Bryce Moab  (Read 18124 times)

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
Utah: Zion Bryce Moab
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 08:36:02 pm »

I literally just returned from 6 days in the Torrey area (Capitol Reef)...suggestions:  .Scenic drive area, Burr trail loop, Upper muley twist canyon drive (high clearance needed), Highway 24 through the park and Cathedral Valley.  one word....Spectacular .  Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

kate61

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 06:44:36 pm »

Carol - sorry - I haven't checked back here in a while --- I don't have photos posted anywhere. Spent so much time preparing a DVD slideshow after the trip that I ran out of steam to do anything for the web (but it is still on my to-do list).  

We spent time spent in Zion (Springdale), Bryce (Tropic), Arches and Cayonlands (Moab) 2 nights each, and 1 night in Torrey/Teasdale enroute to Moab.

If you can narrow down which, if any of these, you are considering I'll give you more info.

tuna

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »

Traveling to Utah in Early September. Starting trip with two nights in Zion (Springdale), 2 nights in Bryce (Tropic) a stopover in Teasdale/Torrey (one night) then on to Moab for a few.  When I started planning the itinerary and how to fit in best photo times with travel I hadn't considered Escalante Grand Staircase but have since seen some great photos and would like to try to get that in somehow. Can anyone recommend any good Escalante photo locations that wouldn't require a significant detour? (Hwys 9 to 12 to 24 probably). Thanks.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118540\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It sounds like, for the time you have, I would not try and fit Escalante in on this trip.   2 nites in Bryce will be enough-- 2 nights in Zion will barely scratch the surface.   Don't get me wrong-  I love Bryce, but it is relatively small and uniform.  

Zion is much larger and more varied.

I would highly recommend walking up the narrows in Zion--  you can walk from the bottom for a few hours, and you will get a bit of the Slot Canyon experience, as well as have a great time.   Go early, especially if you are there on a weekend.

Also,  if you aren't bothered by heights, the trail to Angels Landing is great, and the view from the top is extraordinary.

vandevanterSH

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2008, 08:04:42 pm »

It sounds like, for the time you have, I would not try and fit Escalante in on this trip.   2 nites in Bryce will be enough-- 2 nights in Zion will barely scratch the surface.   Don't get me wrong-  I love Bryce, but it is relatively small and uniform. 

Zion is much larger and more varied.

I would highly recommend walking up the narrows in Zion--  you can walk from the bottom for a few hours, and you will get a bit of the Slot Canyon experience, as well as have a great time.   Go early, especially if you are there on a weekend.

Also,  if you aren't bothered by heights, the trail to Angels Landing is great, and the view from the top is extraordinary.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=200112\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree...I have been to Bryce ~6 times..It is a perfect place to stop for a night coming from Zion and going some to another park.  If you leave Zion in the afternoon and stay at Ruby's or the lodge, you can get the evening light and then sunrise, hike for a few hours and then move on.

Steve

lovell

• http://
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 05:13:16 pm »

Be aware that September is aspen month in the high country. Cedar Breaks, Bryce, the pass on the way to Escalante, and the LaSal Mountains near Moab should be turning gold while you are there.  I'd find that quite a distraction in completing your already packed schedule!   
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hank or anyone, how will the colors of the leaves look in mid to late October?  Will they all be blown away gone?  Any color left that late in the year?

Thanks,
Dan
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s

vandevanterSH

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 06:06:26 pm »

Hank or anyone, how will the colors of the leaves look in mid to late October?  Will they all be blown away gone?  Any color left that late in the year?

Thanks,
Dan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209245\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just checked the dates on some Aspen photos taken in So Colo in '07.  They were taken between Oct 5 to 8 and the color still hadn't peaked.  

Steve

lovell

• http://
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 06:13:25 pm »

I just checked the dates on some Aspen photos taken in So Colo in '07.  They were taken between Oct 5 to 8 and the color still hadn't peaked. 

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=209258\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks Steve!
After composition, everything else is secondary--Alfred Steiglitz, NYC, 1927.

I'm not afraid of death.  I just don't want to be there when it happens--Woody Allen, Annie Hall, '70s
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up