Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Database : still not happy  (Read 4933 times)

seamus finn

Database : still not happy
« on: May 19, 2007, 08:51:07 am »

Re the 'lost' Lightroom database, I seem to have got the hang of it now. Thanks everybody. However, it is very labour intensive.

Now I find myself having to manually go into every single folder (stored on an external drive) via MY COMPUTER, finding the relevant file as suggested, and opening it. This process activates the system and the database reimports the files. Fair enough, but this is a very laborious process as I have several thousand pictures to deal with. Surely there must be some easier way to re-establish the connection with the actual database itself in one 'go'. Obvioulsy not all files out of so many are in the library. The relevant import window tells you what pictures are already in the Library and offers to 'show' them - in effect, find them. But this doesn't avoid the task of having to manually deal with all folders one at a time. It's a lot of navigation!  Is there a shortcut to do this?

Is all of this a weakness in LIGHTROOM or, more probably, is  there something I am doing incorrectly at the first import stage? If so, it isn't immediately obvious to me.  My speciality is landscape work for exhibition and sale in local galleries. I shoot RAW. I use a Canon 5D with L lenses. I usually download to a folder on the desktop first, giving me an independent source should something subsequently go wrong. At least I have the Desktop folder to fall back on. I then open that folder and proceed to import the files into Lightroom, using the check/uncheck boxes to select those I want. Meanwhile, all the files are still available in the desktop folder which can be backed up on independent external drives and on DVD/CD for security purposes.

Despite the advice here, for which I am very grateful, I have an instinctive feeling that there must be an easier way to go about this task. Neither am I happy that Lightroom could lose contact with its own database so easily.If this is the case, then I would be very worried. What happens down the line if the same thing reoccurs, only this time there are many, many more folders 'lost' in the system?

I would be delighted to hear some thoughts on this as a general topic - I cannot be the only one on planet earth to whom it has happened (or to whom it is about to happen), and I'm sure people like me who are reasonably computer literate but not technical experts would appreciate a few tips to avoid this kind of hard labour.

I am a newspaper editor. My main work is the written word, but I have a passionate interest in photography and have been working with photo journalists for over thirty-five years, first in the darkrook and now digitally. At work I use Apple equipment, at home WINDOWS. I have been using Photoshop for years and have recently upgraded to CS3. So, I know my way around a little bit. I mention this just to bring some context to the issue. I am perhaps a bit more than a 'keen' amateur - proof of the pudding is that my work sells well. I wouldn't be banging on about this if I didn't think it was worth following up for everybody who uses LIGHTROOM.

This is not a rant. Far from it.  I think Lightroom is a really good application with vast potential and I am genuinely interested in finding a long-term solution to a problem which I fear may crop up again at some time when there are tens of thousands of folders for somebody to worry about!  And not just for me, but for many others as well.

Incidentally, I have purchased Michael's and Geoff's tutorial series on Lightroom which I found most informative, and have watched it quite a few times so I'm not exactly a novice on the ins and outs of the application. I wonder would Michel ever consider doing something on the kinds of common problems users are now encountering? Like mine! Just an idea but even an article dealing with the warts and all would be really useful.

The other thing I would like to add is that LUMINOUS LANDSCAPE is a tremendous resource- an international gathering place for photographers of all abilities who are willing to share their collective knowledge with colleagues.  I am of that generation which is still in awe of the ability to sit down at a machine in my house and share a problem with like-minded people all over the workd - just with the flick of a mouse. It's a far cry from inhaling dodgy fumes in a darkroom and thumbing through chemically-stained manuals trying to find an answer to some toning problem!!

Regards to all,

Seamus
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:48:26 am by seamus finn »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:26:47 am »

I've not followed the story of your database, but you shouldn't have to reconnect each file individually. Have you moved the files around outside Lightroom? Either start LR by double clicking your database file, or you might be better off building a new database from scratch.

John

seanmcfoto

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 12:46:18 am »

I've not followed the story of your database, but you shouldn't have to reconnect each file individually. Have you moved the files around outside Lightroom? Either start LR by double clicking your database file, or you might be better off building a new database from scratch.

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118522\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've not followed it either Seamus, but LR usually finds images automatically once it has been shown where one file is from a missing folder.
Sean McCormack
[url=http://lightroom.sea

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 02:42:18 pm »

John and Sean,
Agreed, LR will 'reactivate' a folder once a picture is manually found. My problem is that all my folders were 'lost' and I had to manually locate every one through MY COMPUTER etc. The original folders are stored on an external drive but no matter how I try, I cannot locate the library database. When I double click on the question mark on a blank thumbnail, LR tells me the photo could not be found, asks if I would like to locate it and then indicates the previous location. A typical example would be: C:\Documents and Settings\ Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\Lightroom\Photos\Landscapes\MG_4439.CR2 I can never see the PHOTOS folder.
There is a LOCATE option. When this is pressed, I get another window containing two folders, namely: BACKUPS and LIGHTROOM PREVIEWS.IRDATA. In the filename slot, the correct file name appears in the option OPEN. I highlight backups and press open. I am told the file could not be found. I press Lightroom Previews and a bunch of folders appears, some named 0 to 9 and the others named A to F. Highlight any one of those and I get another set of folders with names like 7A5C. There are over 150 of these. Click on any one of these and the same message comes up: FILE COULD NOT BE FOUND. These folders appear to be empty. Sorry for taking up all this space but that's my saga so far. - Seamus
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007, 02:43:56 pm by seamus finn »

seanmcfoto

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 12:55:22 am »

It's looking in the original place so you need to navigate back up the hierarchy to My Computer and select the external drive there.

If you move files in Explorer, Lightroom will normally find them on the same disk, but not if they go to another disk. If you really want to move them, then do it in Lightroom to prevent having to relink. Use the + beside folders to create a new folder. Navigate to the external drive and either choose the Drive as the folder or create and Choose a new folder. Then drag you files over to this folder inside Lightroom.
Sean McCormack

FinalShot

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 11:23:13 am »

i'm not sure I follow either, but I have a similar problem It seems that when or if I unplug one of my HD's and then plug it back in the lightroom tells me the shots are lost.  I donnt know what's going on, I have about 10k images on there and about half of them now are lost, i never moved them either. . .

I also get the backwards "out of memory" showing up all the time and the system, overall runs slooooooooooow.

I've got a dell xps running win ex pro, 4 gigs of ram, 1 tb of storage a 3.4 GHz prosessor, and fast video card.  There only for or five other programs on this unit and it is NOT hooked up to the internet.  

Any ideas?

seanmcfoto

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 11:27:55 am »

Don't reconnect when Lightroom is running. Or if you do, restart Lightroom.
Sean McCormack

seamus finn

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:11:49 pm »

Sean,

The only moving of files I ever did was to create backups via the LR window which appears  from time to time. I have never dragged files from the computer's HD to an external drive. In fact, I haven't dragged  LR files or folders anywhere at any time.  I simply told LR to make the backups on the external drive, let's call it Drive H via the LR backups window.

The only way I can reactivate my files now is to go to drive H where the original folders are stored, open whatever folder I'm interested in, highlight all the files in that folder, and then re-import them into LR. I cannot locate any database stored on the C or on H drives or any files stored in these databases

When the  particular files are physically re-impored into LR, they show up fine - but that still leaves quite a number of folders which I think I will have to physically re-import as outlined above. I remain convinced there is some easy way out of this dilemma. My dread is that some day down the line, I will 'lose' my datebase again, only this time it will be a lot bigger!

Thanks for your interest in this. If nobody except myself and a few others have experienced the problem, then it must be something I'm doing wrong, or something I'm not doing or don't know how to do. If it's a more widespread problem, I'm surprised there isn't any mention of it on this forum. That leaves me with the conclusion that it's my own fault - which also leaves me high and dry!

Seamus

seanmcfoto

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 08:51:51 pm »

Seamus,
The exact scenario is still not clear to me.

When backup runs, it creates a copy of the current database to a location you choose (after in integrity check, if you so choose). Nothing else gets copied-I think you're clear on that.
If the main database becomes corrupted, then the best solution is to copy the most recent database into the same folder as the corrupted database. Then delete the old database and rename the backup to the old database name. Double click on it to start it. It should act as if it were the original database and find the files.

If the images files are in the original location, then I can't see the issue. Is the database a V1.0 database or is it an upgraded DB from the Betas? This shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes it actually can be.
Sean McCormack

seamus finn

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 03:35:55 am »

Sean,
Maybe you've put your finger on the problem. The databases were created while I was using the Beta version of LR. When Version 1 arrived, I simply downloaded and installed it. I qualified for a free version because I was a former Raw Shooter Premier user.  If that's causing the problem, is there a way around it?

Seamus

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 03:53:45 am »

Seamus

Three of us are pretty confused by your explanations of what you are doing (eg all this losing the database stuff and then talking about things you'd only see if you have the database). Whatever the reason, maybe you would be best advised to start again from scratch.

First get your files and folders in robust shape using Explorer, delete or rename existing lrdb files in Explorer, and then open LR and let it create a completely new lrdb file which it'll put in My Pictures. Move this lrdb file where you want, using Explorer, then double click the lrdb to start Lightroom again. Start small scale, be confident of what the database is, where it is, where the previews are.

John

seanmcfoto

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 09:51:06 am »

If what I suggested doesn't work (ie copying the backup to the original location), then the only solution is a new database.
Sean McCormack

seamus finn

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 12:44:58 pm »

Thanks Sean,

I'm confused myself too! That makes four of us. I think I'll go with your second option, start from scratch and take my chances.

Many thanks for your interest.
Greetings from the old country.

Seamus

seanmcfoto

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 04:30:57 pm »

Thanks Sean,

I'm confused myself too! That makes four of us. I think I'll go with your second option, start from scratch and take my chances.

Many thanks for your interest.
Greetings from the old country.

Seamus
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119207\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm only down the road really
Sean McCormack
Pages: [1]   Go Up