Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac, Parallels and QImage  (Read 3304 times)

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
Mac, Parallels and QImage
« on: May 18, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »

I have an increasing number of images to print above 30,000 pixels in length.
The solution would seem to be to use QImage which apparently does the trick. This requires Windows and my entire workflow is Mac (3 desktops networked via router).
I now have a new MacBookPro so can run Parallels, and via that Windows and thus QImage.
Several hours web searching indicates this is a goer  via a general set up of
"Set Up Virtual Machine>Install Windows XP>Install QImage>Install/SetUp Printers etc".
This is not specific enough for me.
I would appreciate a detailed, easy to follow,step by step, set-up workflow from someone that has done this successfully , and preferably is also printing very big images. Mike Chaney of QImage has spoken of 2M+ images. I'm looking at 6M + long x 1M+ wide, at 360ppi.
I'm sure there are others especially the mega panorama fans to whom this info would be useful.
Anyone who would rather contact me directly can do so via this forum or via info@pharoseditions.com.au
Thanks Very Much
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au

BriPriUK

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 06:37:14 am »

Brian

There are enough problems printing long prints without adding the problems of Parallels to them. The best solution is to use a cheap PC running QImage as a fileserver, releasing your Macs for the interesting stuff. There are several members on the QImage Forum at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/qimage who regularly print panoramas, and are  always happy to help with advice.

Brian Price

Brian Gilkes

• http://www.briangilkes.com.au
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 10:49:07 pm »

Thanks Brian,
Your point is taken. I have considered the use of a cheap Windows machine as a print server. For a number of reasons I would prefer not to go along this path. I have not heard of significant problems with Parallels. In fact quite the reverse. The program has been under development for some time and appears reasonably mature. Could you or anyone else elaborate on the problems encountered?
Apart from the 30, 000 pixel limit I have had no problems with 6 metre long prints. Even then I have adopted a workflow that , at least for the work I have had in hand , not produced a discernable lowering of resolution from tests where files have been imported at my usual 360ppi.
I would feel more comfortable though with the use of much larger imput files, and considered QImage via Paralells would do this with lower spooling time and other occasional advantages eg nesting and tiling.
Surely someone there is using Intel  Mac, Parallels and QImage.(????)
Another solution I have considered but not tried, is printing large files through In Design.
This should work.
Has anyone had experience with this approach?
Cheers,
Brian
www.pharoseditions.com.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up