Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations desired regarding two printers  (Read 2964 times)

Shutterbug2006

Recommendations desired regarding two printers
« on: May 18, 2007, 06:04:30 pm »

I am considering purchasing an HP Designjet Z3100 and an HP B8190 printer.

My question is this - would I better off to purchase the basic version of the Z3100, a copy of EFI Designer (RIP software), and a Gretagmacbeth monitor calibrator so I can also use the RIP with the B8190 or should I get the GP version of the Z3100 which includes RIP and a monitor calibrator?

It doesn't seem like the price difference would be much, but would offer more functionality in that I could use the EFI RIP software with more than one printer???

Any comments or insight would be gratefully received.

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 04:46:04 pm »

The lack of any response suggests I either asked the wrong question or don't have a clue what I'm asking about.....

rdonson

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 04:54:01 pm »

The lack of any response suggests I either asked the wrong question or don't have a clue what I'm asking about.....

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118604\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think its a reasonable question.  Most of us probably don't know how to answer as we have the base Z3100 machine without the EFI RIP or the GP version.
Regards,
Ron

Shutterbug2006

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 07:08:05 pm »

Ok, that makes sense.

I think I decided to buy the 44" version of the Z3100 - it appears to come shipped from the factory with double the amount of ink.... the 24" version comes with a "starter" ink pack of only 69ml as opposed to 130ml cartridges that come with a new 44". That's a savings of about $500 by my calculations... and I just don't know but Murphy's law tells me I may want to print larger than 24" at some time down the road.

But I have absolutely no experience with RIP software, and I am torn between EFI and ImagePrint - not knowing really if one is better than the other. I just know that I will also want a printer that has a paper cassette - and it makes sense to buy a version of RIP that I can use with all the printers I might want to purchase and have lying around.

I don't even know if I am going overboard buying the Z3100, it might have much greater capability than the Canon EOS 5D shots I plan to print most. But I guess it's only money......

« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:08:19 pm by Shutterbug2006 »

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:44:26 pm »

Ok, that makes sense.

I think I decided to buy the 44" version of the Z3100 - it appears to come shipped from the factory with double the amount of ink.... the 24" version comes with a "starter" ink pack of only 69ml as opposed to 130ml cartridges that come with a new 44". That's a savings of about $500 by my calculations... and I just don't know but Murphy's law tells me I may want to print larger than 24" at some time down the road.

But I have absolutely no experience with RIP software, and I am torn between EFI and ImagePrint - not knowing really if one is better than the other. I just know that I will also want a printer that has a paper cassette - and it makes sense to buy a version of RIP that I can use with all the printers I might want to purchase and have lying around.

I don't even know if I am going overboard buying the Z3100, it might have much greater capability than the Canon EOS 5D shots I plan to print most. But I guess it's only money......

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118628\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Z is an awesome printer.  Its still going through some issues of its infancy but I'm confident they'll get worked out.   It sounds like 44" is a personal choice and if you can afford it go for it.  You might consider picking up an extra spindle or two and some more 3" adapters.

If you're not familiar with RIPs you could hold off until ImagePrint v7 is available and fully supports this printer.  You could see if it does what you want it to and if you need it.  In the meantime you could use Qimage for uprezzing, final sharpening and page layout.  Its a bargain and well written and supported.  You could buy HP APS if you wanted more patches for profiles and profile editing.

The 5D will drive your printing quite nicely.  Besides, you'll likely keep the printer much longer than you will a DSLR.  
Regards,
Ron
Pages: [1]   Go Up