Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Do NOT update Firmware to 5.0.0.4  (Read 7915 times)

Roscolo

Do NOT update Firmware to 5.0.0.4
« on: May 18, 2007, 12:14:18 am »

I would advise everyone to NOT update firmware. Just tried to update to Firmware 5.0.0.4 using the HP Easy Care Printer software.

Downloaded and unzipped the file.

Browsed to the file and proceeded with firmware update.

Everything looked fine until it was time for the printer to restart.

Then I got the message in the printer window:

"Restart the printer. If the problem persists, call support."

Can't restart the printer with the front power button. Used the rear power switch. Printer doesn't boot, and I get the above message again.

Now I'm going to have some angry customers tomorrow and a headache.

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 12:21:08 am »

Sorry you're having problems, but I'm curious as to why you updated the firmware knowing that the new driver was required to operate the printer after the update. We've had a discussion all day today about HP not posting the Windows driver in the US yet. You're much braver than I am.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 12:27:15 am »

Sorry you're having problems, but I'm curious as to why you updated the firmware knowing that the new driver was required to operate the printer after the update. We've had a discussion all day today about HP not posting the Windows driver in the US yet. You're much braver than I am.

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm with Jim.  I posted the same question only a few minutes ago as to whether we should install the new firmware without the new driver.

But the above experience (ironically from a steadfast supporter of HP) suggests that once the new driver is available, we should upgrade the driver first, and only upgrade the firmware after that.

Roscolo

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:29:48 am »

Jim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118313\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I only updated the firmware because I went in to Easy Printer Care and it told me an update was available. When you update, on HP's page it tells you to have the latest driver. When I go to HP's driver page, there is no previous driver listed and the numbers match what I have, so I know I have the latest driver.

I guess I didn't realize there was any risk. HP should maybe put something on the firmware update page within the HP Printer Care software similar to a mobo's BIOS update page...that if you update, you may be screwed. To the contrary, there are no warnings at all on page 41-42 of the Reference Guide or in the Easy Printer software.

Also, within Easy Printer Care, updating firmware is listed as Step 1. Updating driver is listed as Step 2. Unfortunately, I can't get to Step 2 because Step 1 crashed my printer.

Hopefully there is a fix for this. I'll be in touch with HP tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:33:01 am by Roscolo »

Roscolo

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:50:55 am »

I'm with Jim.  I posted the same question only a few minutes ago as to whether we should install the new firmware without the new driver.

But the above experience (ironically from a steadfast supporter of HP) suggests that once the new driver is available, we should upgrade the driver first, and only upgrade the firmware after that.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I would not jump to that conclusion or make that assumption. Assumptions are where problems begin. My advice to not update is cautionary based on my experience. I'll follow up with HP tomorrow and post what they advise to do.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 01:13:50 am »

I've updated yesterday to 5.0.0.4 without problems.

Panascape

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 01:47:16 am »

As far as I know you do not need the new driver to perform the upgrade, just to make use of the features.

If the upgrade fails then it is something else causing it.

Roscolo

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:58:50 am »

As far as I know you do not need the new driver to perform the upgrade, just to make use of the features.

If the upgrade fails then it is something else causing it.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118329\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Any ideas as to what might cause this? Are you running Windows 32bit?

I was connected via ethernet when I attempted the firmware update. Printer window showed that the update was in progress. The printer never restarted; I just got the error message above. Running Windows XP Pro 32bit.

Panascape

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 02:16:00 am »

I would try removing the power from the printer, giving it a few minutes and then trying again. If the problem is still there I think you will have to call tech support.

Roscolo

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 02:27:08 am »

I would try removing the power from the printer, giving it a few minutes and then trying again. If the problem is still there I think you will have to call tech support.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118332\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks. After a couple attempts...turning printer on and getting error message...I got a new error message "68:03 When possible restart the printer"

Once again, couldn't restart from front of printer, had to turn switch off and on.

After turning on, I got 44% through the HP startup bar on the front window and it froze.

Turned off Power switch (on back of printer), and turned on. Got 100% through the HP startup bar, through inititalization and through Preparing Print System.

All seems OK now...strange. But, I've built enough systems to have seen stranger!

Now, from the info. window, I show Firmware Version: TR12-TR_5.0.0.4

Not sure what caused my problems. I was connected via Ethernet on a new mobo with dual ethernet ports (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) on a new system build. I uninstalled the printer and the HP software...I think I will reinstall and maybe use USB instead.

Panascape

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:44:55 am »

Mine took 35 minutes to restart on its own. I would guess that interfering with it during this process is not a good idea so I left iot alone and it was fine.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 03:52:24 am »

If the firmware was transferred to printer, it shouldn't be a problem of an ethernet or USB connection.
After the firmware transfer the printer was checking the firmware for a couple of minutes before rebooting.

It would be fine to do a backup of the printer harddisc before updating to a new firmware. But it seems there is no possibility to have access to this HD for maintenance like defrag etc.

Roscolo

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 03:53:03 am »

Mine took 35 minutes to restart on its own. I would guess that interfering with it during this process is not a good idea so I left iot alone and it was fine.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118343\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Did you get the error message? The only reason I gave up on it was because of the error message.

I'm calibrating and profiling now, so all's well that end's well.

Panascape

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 03:57:09 am »

No error message just updated.

macz5024

• http://www.markuszuber.com
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:01 am »

Hi

I have just updated to the new firmware - after having updated the system information and the driver with OSX, german system. No problem - no error code at all.

Everything seems to be working as before - hopefully with some improvements

Markus

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2007, 02:44:14 am »

No problem here either.

Julian
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 05:49:57 am »

There is redundancy built in to these firmware updates. Something must be wrong on some installations if errors are coninuing to happen. I don't install from Windows, only from Mac on Ethernet. I have had some updates that caused a stall, where I restarted the printer. The updates always held thereafter without serious problem.
The 5.0.4 update on Mac worked without a hitch. I don't know why it is not posted yet but probably will be .

rdonson

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2007, 05:45:59 pm »

Firmware 5.0.0.4 installed fine the first time on my Windows machine connected via USB to my Z3100.

Installing the drivers took far more perseverance and several reboots.
Regards,
Ron

Charlesu

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2007, 10:00:01 pm »

I've come to figure out that this printer is SLOW.........when it comes to just about anything.  I'm in no hurry to do a firmware update.  Really not looking forward to it myself and really wish they'd go ahead and hammer out any fixes instead of a lot of incremental updates.

EvoM

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2007, 12:09:27 am »

Funny, I posted this exact same experience when I did the last firmware update...and I mean exactly as the original poster described.

I'll wait till a few more bugs are out before even attempting it.

It's really incredible that such a "Pro" machine can have such a hit or miss update setup!

I know some will say it must be user error but I can gaurantee I was very methodical.

Evo
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up