Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP printer snd Epson paper  (Read 6162 times)

Rob C

HP printer snd Epson paper
« on: May 17, 2007, 03:38:29 pm »

Does anyone have experience of how the HP B9180 printer works with Epson Heavyweight Matte paper (code; S041256, weight 167gsm)?

Rob C

DarkPenguin

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:49:34 pm »

I've had great luck with it.  But I'm not entirely sure I was using the same paper.  (I'm nowhere near my office.)

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/

I think there is a paper wiki somewhere too.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 12:06:14 pm »

I've had great luck with it.  But I'm not entirely sure I was using the same paper.  (I'm nowhere near my office.)

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/hp9100Series/

I think there is a paper wiki somewhere too.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118257\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hey, Mr P!

Thanks for your reply to my question - I´m trying to resolve as many problems before they arise as I can. The printer has been on order for some time, but no sign of it arriving yet. I read that HP doesn´t give you a clue as to which paper profile you should select if using non-HP products so I expect the learning curve to be a bit of a pain in the ass, but there you are, the brave New World!

Thanks again - Rob C

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 12:32:15 pm »

Hey, Mr P!

Thanks for your reply to my question - I´m trying to resolve as many problems before they arise as I can. The printer has been on order for some time, but no sign of it arriving yet. I read that HP doesn´t give you a clue as to which paper profile you should select if using non-HP products so I expect the learning curve to be a bit of a pain in the ass, but there you are, the brave New World!

Thanks again - Rob C
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118535\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I can't speak to the B8190 but HP just released a tech newsletter on how to handle non-HP paper on the Z3100.  I use Epson Enhanced matte as a proofing paper on the Z and it looks pretty good.  Certainly as good, if not better, than it did on my Epson.
Regards,
Ron

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 05:57:26 am »

I can't speak to the B8190 but HP just released a tech newsletter on how to handle non-HP paper on the Z3100.  I use Epson Enhanced matte as a proofing paper on the Z and it looks pretty good.  Certainly as good, if not better, than it did on my Epson.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118548\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi - do you have a link to the newsleter you mentioned? I´m guessing it´s an on-line thing and not on paper, but you never can tell! Thanks for the input.

Ciao - Rob C

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 10:34:42 am »

Hi - do you have a link to the newsleter you mentioned? I´m guessing it´s an on-line thing and not on paper, but you never can tell! Thanks for the input.

Ciao - Rob C
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

[a href=\"https://h41186.www4.hp.com/hpp/Data/printingknowledge/working_with_custom_paper_Z2100_Z31002.pdf?pageseq=716726]Working with Custom Papers[/url]

A version for the latest firmware.
Regards,
Ron

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 12:53:04 pm »

Working with Custom Papers

A version for the latest firmware.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118681\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for the links - Rob C

DarkPenguin

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 12:06:23 pm »

I'm not sure this page is still being updated but this ...

http://www.shadowbrush.org/wiki/index.php?title=B9180Papers

... might be of interest.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 12:50:32 pm »

I'm not sure this page is still being updated but this ...

http://www.shadowbrush.org/wiki/index.php?title=B9180Papers

... might be of interest.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119201\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mr P

Again, I´m indebted to you for your help with my quest.

The printer itself arrived a day or two ago, right in the middle of problems with the new  computer which replaced my dead laptop, and though the printer is tied to the old desktop computer which only gets internet connected when essential, there seem to be problems at the moment between the two computers sharing a monitor via a splitter (?). Anyway, straight after the original installation, I tried to print a black/white shot I have (the very first one I printed from my D200, and which works very well with a basic, non-photo Epson C66) with the HP on the glossy stuff that comes with the machine to help set it up. Well, I did two prints, one using just the grey inks and a second version using the mix of colours too. My frst impression is that the mixed colours version is perhaps better, the grey only one looking too contrasty and dark, with a little less shadow detail. Of course, this could all be due to the fact that the final file was produced to match the Epson Heavyweight Matte paper on a test-printing basis as the best result comes from a file which looks less than perfect on the monitor.

Perhaps this is the best way to fly - just as in the wet darkroom, a little testing soon gets it right!  The big difference, of course, is that there is always the worry of setting the printer to print with a type of non-HP paper which might cause it serious harm.

Perhaps HP might oblige with a list of ´close enough´ recommendations - after all, not all of its branded product is easy to find in places off the beaten track, whereas Epson stuff seems to be available everywhere.

Thanks again for the link which I´ve put into Favourites for further consultation!

Ciao - Rob C
Pages: [1]   Go Up