Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What are the file size limitations of Aperture?  (Read 12194 times)

Riverman

What are the file size limitations of Aperture?
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:23:54 pm »

I realize that I cannot use Lightroom because of the file size limitations  - i cannot view my large scans from film.  What is the file size limit for Aperture?  Also will aperture show files of both psd and tiff?  I've been told that lightroom will view only one file type so you cant see say the tiff versoin and the psd side by side.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 01:42:56 pm »

I realize that I cannot use Lightroom because of the file size limitations  - i cannot view my large scans from film.  What is the file size limit for Aperture?  Also will aperture show files of both psd and tiff?  I've been told that lightroom will view only one file type so you cant see say the tiff versoin and the psd side by side.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

IIRC Aperture doesn't have the 10000 pixel file size limitation. You know it has a trial?

LR's tif/psd limitation is that you can't import two files from the same folder whose names are identical, and it ignores the extension when comparing names. So you can change one file's name, or put one in a subfolder and import it, then move it afterwards if you really want both in the same folder. Adobe understand the importance of this issue and it's unlikely to last long. Again, don't rely on what you're told - it has a 30 day trial.

If large film scans are the core of your work, I'm not sure you would be best advised to look at either program. They are mainly for dealing with large numbers of digital camera images.

John

Riverman

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 12:01:11 pm »

John,
At the moment I use Photoshop CS which does not include bridge.  My DAM is Iview Media Pro.  I really like the flexibility of apertures web portfolios, but maybe I could do the same using CS3?  I still use a powermac g4 so I would need to uprade my machine to use aperature.  

www.yosemitecollection.com

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 12:49:41 pm »

You don't buy Aperture for its web gallery creation - it's not really any better than iView's. You do consider it if you need to process large numbers of images. Otherwise, you'd be better off upgrading Photoshop.

John

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 03:19:48 pm »

I realize that I cannot use Lightroom because of the file size limitations  - i cannot view my large scans from film.  What is the file size limit for Aperture?  Also will aperture show files of both psd and tiff?  I've been told that lightroom will view only one file type so you cant see say the tiff versoin and the psd side by side.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117930\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I know people have reported issues in viewing 600 MB TIFF scans in Aperture.  And if you import multiple versions of the same file (most common case is RAW+JPEG, which is really a complete and total waste with a program like Aperture, as it can generate JPEGs from the RAW files pretty quickly for export), then you can typically only see one (the RAW file).

If you are looking for Aperture to manage a library of hundreds or thousands of gargantuan TIFF scans, you will probably be disappointed.  Aperture's raison d'etre (pardon my French) is to allow you to work on large quantities of shots -- most typically RAW files off the camera, and to sort, select, and do simple edits.  It's just not focused on being a digital asset manager for all types of image.  It is really focused around RAW files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up