Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening levels on new camera  (Read 2284 times)

One Frame at a Time

Sharpening levels on new camera
« on: May 16, 2007, 11:15:03 am »

Can anyone explain why my new 10 MP Canon XTi needs (or can take) so much more final image sharpening?  Until recently I had a 6 MP 10D and I would almost always settle on settings that were about 0.3 to 0.4 radius, 80% Threshold 1 or 2.

On the XTi, I need a much higher setting on the radius to get good sharpness.  Settings seem to be around 1.2 to 1.4 radius.  Other settings are similar.  I am doing similar pre-sharpening so its hard to understand the big difference.  If I had gone this high on the settngs on the 10D then I would have seen some big artifacts and very bad looking prints.  

On the camera:  The viewfinder is small but its a great camera.  Best one in Canons cropped sensor line right now.  Especially good for travel and outdoor activities because of its light weight and small size.  Images are stunning from this little wonder.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 11:35:23 am by One Frame at a Time »

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 10:41:37 am »

Pull out the manual and go through the menus on the camera's LCD. Most digital SLR's apply a default level of sharpening to every image unless you disable it, and this control is usually buried deep within the menu hierarchy. I'd bet your 10D was applying a hefty dose of sharpening, and your new XTi isn't. Just a guess.

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 05:04:18 pm »

An additional point of consideration:

If you print to the same size, then your new 10 Mpx camera has about 30% smaller pixel radius than the 6 Mpx 10D. That may explain parts of the difference, since you need to sharpen a larger pixel radius to sharpen the same image elements.
Jan

jbrembat

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 05:11:54 pm »

An additional point of consideration:

If you print to the same size, then your new 10 Mpx camera has about 30% smaller pixel radius than the 6 Mpx 10D. That may explain parts of the difference, since you need to sharpen a larger pixel radius to sharpen the same image elements.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=119256\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Pixel has no dimension.

Jacopo

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 06:13:47 pm »

Pixel has no dimension.
You must have misunderstood the meaning of my message.

What I was trying to point out, is that if you print to the same size (e.g. 24x18), the radius of the area represented by a pixel from the 10D is larger than that of the area represented by a pixel from the 400D by approximately 30%.

This difference affects the amount of per-pixel output sharpening that is necessary to achieve the same level of detail.
Jan
Pages: [1]   Go Up