Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS3 Printing Oddity  (Read 4596 times)

tgphoto

Photoshop CS3 Printing Oddity
« on: May 14, 2007, 05:25:10 pm »

So I made the jump to CS3 recently and decided I'd give printing a try.

I'm printing an 8-bit Adobe RGB TIFF (24"x36") at 180ppi and experiencing what I can only describe as "profiles gone nuts".  I'm attempting to print on Epson Enhanced Matte Paper using the Matte Black ink .... the paper is installed on a 24" roll and I have the Matte Black installed.

In the CS3 Print Dialog, I have the following settings:

Print
-----------------
(x) Document (Profile: Adobe RGB)

Options
------------------
Color Handling: ( Photoshop Manages Colors )

Printer Profile: ( Pro9800 7800 EMP_MK )

Rendering Intent: (Relative Colorimetric )

(x) Black Point Compensation

When I get  to the Epson driver, I turn off Color Management.  This is the same setup I have used before under CS2 with no issues.

I am getting drastic shifts in blues, reds, and yellows.  I ran a cleaning routine but that didn't solve anything.

On the suggestion of a friend I decided to try printing again, setting the Printer Profile to my working space: (Working RGB - Adobe RGB).  Kept everything else the same.  The colors printed correctly.

I'm at a loss here.  For some reason, setting up everything "correct" (at least according to Adobe, Epson, etc.) results in "incorrect" color.  What am I missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Have been pulling my hair out trying to figure things out and don't have much left!

paulbk

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 06:10:35 pm »

Soft Proof?

What do you see in soft proof when using the printer profile you list?
I use Espon 4000 so I don't know if "Pro9800 7800 EMP_MK" is correct profile.

Soft Proof = View > Proof Setup > Custom
then fill in the appropriate blanks
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:13:47 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:25:05 pm »

When I get  to the Epson driver, I turn off Color Management.  This is the same setup I have used before under CS2 with no issues.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117542\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Mac or PC?

If Mac, there can be an issue where if your "default" printer is NOT the printer you are printing to, ColorSync in 10.4.x will apply an incorrect "generic RGB" profile in the pipeline-even though you are using Photoshop to manage color and the Epson driver is set to No Color Adjustment. Epson and Apple are "working on it" but the only way around it using Photoshop to manage color is set your printer to the "Default" printer in Print Center Utility...

If you aren't on OS X 10.4.x, then this doesn't apply...(course, if you are on Mac, this DOES apply).

tgphoto

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 06:29:38 pm »

@Shewe:

I am on a Mac, OS X 10.4.9 and have the 7800 set as my default printer.  If for some reason this still applies to me, doesn't that leave my "flying blind" as far as color management goes?

@paulbk:
I have soft proof setup with the following settings:

Custom Proof Condition: Custom

Proof Conditions
-------------------
Device to Simulate: Pro9800 7800 EMP_PK (<-- This is Epson Enhanced Matte w/Matte Black Ink)
( ) Preserve RGB Numbers

Rendering Intent: Relative Colorimetric
(x) Black Point Compensation

Display Options (On-Screen)
---------------------------------
(x) Simulate Paper Color
( ) Simulate Black Ink (grayed out)

If I uncheck Simulate Paper Color, the image on screen appears slightly lighter.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 06:32:50 pm by tgphoto »

tgphoto

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:42:34 pm »

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I headed over to the Adobe Forums and found this:

Problem printing with profile, PS 9.02, OS 10.4.8

Ran the ColorSync routine and problem solved!

Thanks!

Tim

jpgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:20:28 pm »

I had an issue on Windows where even though my settings were correct the profile was not applied.  I closed the program and reopened it set up the same and the print looked correct.  Buggy program...

Jeff,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I headed over to the Adobe Forums and found this:

Problem printing with profile, PS 9.02, OS 10.4.8

Ran the ColorSync routine and problem solved!

Thanks!

Tim
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117576\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ralph Eisenberg

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2007, 03:20:05 pm »

Mac or PC?

If Mac, there can be an issue where if your "default" printer is NOT the printer you are printing to, ColorSync in 10.4.x will apply an incorrect "generic RGB" profile in the pipeline-even though you are using Photoshop to manage color and the Epson driver is set to No Color Adjustment. Epson and Apple are "working on it" but the only way around it using Photoshop to manage color is set your printer to the "Default" printer in Print Center Utility...

If you aren't on OS X 10.4.x, then this doesn't apply...(course, if you are on Mac, this DOES apply).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117551\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

This thread and this post has been invaluably helpful. Much gain that has spared me considerable pain. Many thanks. Switching between Epson printers has now become accessible without anguish.
Ralph

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2007, 02:17:15 am »

I think the consensus for Epsons/OS X  was that setting the printer as default printer cleans up the issues and is the simplest workaround. And needs to be done systematically as one may otherwise miss noting the color shifts induced by this bug.  And that Apple needs to go back and do some work on the OS.

Edmund
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:18:59 am by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up