Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR database problem  (Read 7243 times)

seamus finn

LR database problem
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:28 am »

After months of trouble-free processing, I seem to have run into a spell of bad luck lately. First, Lightroom couldn't locate CS3. Thanks to this forum, that got sorted.  Another problem has now arisen. Suddenly, Lightroom can't locate its database on my PC even though it's been working without a hitch since it was installed.

The original database installed itself in MY PICTURES on the hard drive as the default soursce, and it remains there. I have a backup on  two different external drives. Lately, when I open LR, either no pictures show up, or those that do have a question mark icon in the top right corner. When I go into Develop, a warning line comes up across the top of the picture telling me the picture cannot be found. I have tried the database source panel in LR  and selected each database in turn but to no avail. The same thing happens. I've looked under Preferences and can't see anything there (although it could be!). I feel sure there is a simple explanation which I have so far stupidly failed to find it, despite investing much time in the problem. It all makes me feel like a novice!!

Any ideas on how I can reactivate LR's database would be much appreciated.

Seamus Finn

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
LR database problem
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:06:30 pm »

When you see the question mark, click on it the with the open dialog you'll get, navigate to that image. The link will be rebulit (all images in the same location too).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

seamus finn

LR database problem
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:18:24 pm »

Hi Rodney,
Thanks very much for that. I've tried it and I keep getting the same problem. Can't find the picture. The message says: 'The photo xxxxx could not be used because the original file could not be found. Would you like to locate it?' It then gives the previous location of the file. In my case: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\ Name of Folder\ Name of File.' When I tell LR to locate it a window comes up showing a folder named LIGHTROOM, and in the OPEN option, the name of the file appears. When I tell it to open, another window says: 'File not found. Please verify the correct file name was given.'

On the right panel in the LR interface, all the foders are showing, giving the numbers of pictures in each folder as normal. The total number of pictures is also shown at 3,415/3416, but under Missing Files, it says 3411/3412. Also, all the folder names are showing in red. One folder is showing in white, but that is on the desktop, unlike the others which are on an external drive and in the My Pictures location. Interestingly, the white folder has three pictures - which accounts for the discrepancy between total pictures figure and the missing files figure.

Is it possible that I might have to delete all databases, reinstall LR and start importing everything into the Library again?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Seamus

CaptnWil

LR database problem
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:00:46 pm »

You must physically navigate to the folder where the image files exst.  LR can't find them.  You must find at least one of them.  Once you find one, LR will find all others in that folder.

Wil

seamus finn

LR database problem
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 03:21:59 pm »

Wil,

I'm trying to do that. I get a whole load of meaningless folders but it's not obvious to me where it or any other pic might be. Forgive my stupidity.

Seamus

CaptnWil

LR database problem
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 07:58:06 pm »

Wil,

I'm trying to do that. I get a whole load of meaningless folders but it's not obvious to me where it or any other pic might be. Forgive my stupidity.

Seamus
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117515\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Find the correct folder with My Computer.  Then  you will know how to navigate in the dialog.

Wil

seamus finn

LR database problem
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:17:08 pm »

Find the correct folder with My Computer.  Then  you will know how to navigate in the dialog.
Wil
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117579\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Still hasn't worked! The question marks disappear alright, the particular file comes up under Develop, but the remainder of the files in the particular folder remain blank, although the question marks are still gone.

Seamus

PS I seem to have got the hang of it now. Thanks

PPS: Now I find myself having to manually go into every single folder (stored on an external drive) via MY COMPUTER, finding the relevant file as suggested, and opening it. This process activates the system and the database reimports the files. Fair enough, but this is a very laborious process as I have several thousand pictures to deal with. Surely there must be some easier way to re-establish the connection with the actual database itself. Obvioulsy not all files out of so many are in the library. If they are, the relevant import window tells you so and and offers to 'show' them - in effect, find them. But this doesn't avoid the task of having to deal with all folders one at a time. Is there a shortcut to do this.

Something else: I have some backup databases which when opened, show no pictures in the library - zilch. Another database shows something like ten pictures. Only one folder shows the total number. Many of these folders are in red type, while those that have been found and 'activated' by me manually are in white type.

Is all of this a weakness in LIGHTROOM or, more probably, is is there something I am doing incorrectly at the first import stage. I usually download to a folder on the desktop first, giving me an independent source should something subsequently go wrong. I then open that folder and proceed to import the files I want into Lightroom, using the check/uncheck boxes to select those I want. Meanwhile, all the files are still available in the desktop folder which can be stored on independent external drives for security purposes.

Despite the advice here, for which I am very grateful, I have an instictive feeling that there must be an easier way to go about this task. Neither am I satisfied that Lightroom could lose contact with its own database so easily.If this is the case, then I woudl be very worried. What happens down the line if the same thing reoccurs, only this time there are many, many more folders 'lost' in the system.

I would love to hear some thoughts on this as a general topic - I cannot be the only one on planet earth to whom it has happened, and I'm sure people like me who are reasonably computer literate but not technical experts would appreciate a few tips to avoid the kind of hard labour I now find myself having to do - instead of being out taking pictures. By the way, this is not a rant. Far from it.  I think Lightroom is a really good application and I am genuinely interested in finding a long-term solution to a problem which I fear may crop up again at some time when there are tens of thousands of folders to worry about!

Regards to all.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 07:54:59 am by seamus finn »
Pages: [1]   Go Up