Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DPReview acquired by Amazon.com  (Read 6356 times)

jani

• Øyet
DPReview acquired by Amazon.com
« on: May 14, 2007, 10:27:17 am »

In a rather unexpected press release, Amazon.com announce that they have acquired DPReview.com.

I'm almost stunned.

And let the first stone about "independent reviews and recommendations" be cast ... ow.
Jan

Ray

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 11:37:47 am »

In a rather unexpected press release, Amazon.com announce that they have acquired DPReview.com.

I'm almost stunned.

And let the first stone about "independent reviews and recommendations" be cast ... ow.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117456\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I've always considered dpreview tests to be reliable and thorough, as have many others, which is why the site is so popular. Even though it's now been taken over by essentially a marketing company, the popularity of the site is based on the technical consistency and depth of its reviews.

I wouldn't expect this to change for the worse. The guys at Amazon would surely realise that the site is popular because the camera tests are credible.

Perhaps the question is, will the tests now improve, in usefulness and reliability?

jani

• Øyet
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:53:07 am »

I think it's likely that DPReview's web features may be complemented by Amazon's, for instance the option of giving grades to the review/reviewer.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a one-click-purchase button for Amazon.com, too.

And I agree that there is no reason to even suspect that the consistency and depth of the reviews will change; Amazon.com doesn't appear to be in bed with any particular vendor, and stands the most to gain from reviewer independence.
Jan

picnic

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 12:28:58 pm »

I think it's likely that DPReview's web features may be complemented by Amazon's, for instance the option of giving grades to the review/reviewer.

I wouldn't be surprised if we'll see a one-click-purchase button for Amazon.com, too.

And I agree that there is no reason to even suspect that the consistency and depth of the reviews will change; Amazon.com doesn't appear to be in bed with any particular vendor, and stands the most to gain from reviewer independence.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117473\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Phil Askey claims he is still the director with control of editorial content and that this will give him (them) the ability to do more reviews, etc.--including an increase in staff which should allow that.

Diane

DarkPenguin

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:58:33 pm »

I'd like to think they could hire some more people to run some tests.  But here is my question - if amazon doesn't sell it will they review it?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:01:47 pm »

I've always considered dpreview tests to be reliable and thorough, as have many others, which is why the site is so popular.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117467\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree. There's no saying how 'accurate' a review of anything is, we all get partial information or just make mistakes. By and large, the reviews seem very well thought out and done with all kinds of useful information but not the definitive answer to anything (as expected). The site probably moves a lot of camera sales as a result, which they deserve. Might as well send everyone over to Amazon. I actually love Amazon and shop there all the time. So its about selling cameras for Amazon of course. If Phil keeps up the good work, the site will only be better for those of us looking for a balanced review. Seems win/win but only time will tell.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up