Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move files between libraries?  (Read 3307 times)

photoip

Move files between libraries?
« on: May 14, 2007, 09:05:35 am »

OK, I have imported 60K photos into 3 different libraries, and am keywording, etc.  In many instances, I really want some of the photos in a different library, or in two libraries.  Well, I think the only way of getting pictures into a different library is to import.  But, that loses all of the keywording, metadata, edit history.  Am hoping Adobe can provide a Copy/Move feature that keeps intact all of the metadata and allows selectable migration between libraries.

CaptnWil

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 03:03:35 pm »

You a a lot of us.  It isn't possible now!

Wil

OK, I have imported 60K photos into 3 different libraries, and am keywording, etc.  In many instances, I really want some of the photos in a different library, or in two libraries.  Well, I think the only way of getting pictures into a different library is to import.  But, that loses all of the keywording, metadata, edit history.  Am hoping Adobe can provide a Copy/Move feature that keeps intact all of the metadata and allows selectable migration between libraries.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

bazmattii

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 04:00:53 pm »

That's one of the problems I am really having a problem with, Since I do do a lot of work on a lptop for later transfer to a desktop. I tested Aperature before settling on using Lightroom. In Aperature you can set up a project for your shoot. It works perfectly. For example: if you are on vacation and you do a shoot and load it on your laptop, you do all the edits and keywording, ranking etc. Once you are back at your home base, you simply export the project and and import it in Aperature on your desktop. Everything is intact.
Until Lightroom comes up with a similar solution, is there a workaround?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 03:27:00 am »

OK, I have imported 60K photos into 3 different libraries, and am keywording, etc.  In many instances, I really want some of the photos in a different library, or in two libraries.  Well, I think the only way of getting pictures into a different library is to import.  But, that loses all of the keywording, metadata, edit history.  Am hoping Adobe can provide a Copy/Move feature that keeps intact all of the metadata and allows selectable migration between libraries.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117439\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you need to move files between libraries, export the xmp sidecars - keywording and metadata will travel with the original.

The beta had a binder concept which was designed for moving files between libraries, but this was pulled because Adobe responded to customer feedback and let us see and manage folders. I'm sure Adobe understand the importance of the issue and will resolve it.

Why are you working with multiple libraries though?

John

sapobufo

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 03:07:53 pm »

If you need to move files between libraries, export the xmp sidecars - keywording and metadata will travel with the original.

The beta had a binder concept which was designed for moving files between libraries, but this was pulled because Adobe responded to customer feedback and let us see and manage folders. I'm sure Adobe understand the importance of the issue and will resolve it.

Why are you working with multiple libraries though?

John
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Well, I have a similar problem. I actually have not started to use Lightroom (although I would like to) because I have a system with three computers. I need to be able to transfer ONLY the files I've worked on in Lightroom with all the corresponding info (different sorts, development data, etc) from one computer to another seamlessly. Sounds like that's not possible right now? Will converting to DNG aleviate the problem? Please enLighten me...
Cindy

peter.doerrie

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 04:36:57 pm »

Well, I have a similar problem. I actually have not started to use Lightroom (although I would like to) because I have a system with three computers. I need to be able to transfer ONLY the files I've worked on in Lightroom with all the corresponding info (different sorts, development data, etc) from one computer to another seamlessly. Sounds like that's not possible right now? Will converting to DNG aleviate the problem? Please enLighten me...
Cindy
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=123326\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Export to DNG wont solve your problem as far as I know, as DNG is just another RAW format and will - in itself - not store things like development data, etc. As mentioned above, a solution to some parts of your problem can be the exporting of the metadata. Lightroom normaly does not store this metadata with the file itself, but only links it with the file via the database. So if you embed the metadata and the export the file, it should come with it.
But a seamless transportation of one image from one library to another is not possible at the moment. But as someone (I think ist was michael) said in another thread somewhere, this is a problem which might get adressed in 1.1.
Pages: [1]   Go Up