Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best all in one printer  (Read 2491 times)

RMichael

Best all in one printer
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:12:07 am »

Hi

I am looking to buy an all-in-one printer for home use which can print excellent photos up to A4 size, both color and black and white,apart from text. What would you recommend? What DPI should I look for, for best resolution?

For professional long lasting prints, upto 17x 22,what would be my best bet terms of :

1. Which Printer?

2. What inks?

3. What paper?

I'd like to know more about :

1. Archival paper - best brands, best prices

2. archival ink - can all photo printers take archival ink? Which brands are available? Are they produced by specific manufacturers of printers for their own brand or are there third party vendors too?

Many thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:47:45 am by RMichael »

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Best all in one printer
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:47:37 pm »

Last I checked (which admittedly was a couple of years ago), all-in-one printers had far inferior print quality for photos than a dedicated photo printer.  Using a high quality photo printer for day-to-day text printing is nonoptimal, too, as it drinks up much more expensive ink than a laserjet type black & white printer, and you'll be constantly switching between high-quality paper for photos and low-quality paper for cheap everyday printing.  The standard approach is to get a high-end photo-quality color printer (Epson, HP, or Canon) for photos and a cheap laserjet for text printing.  If you want really good print quality, you won't get it with an all-in-one (unless they're made amazing improvements recently, which is always possible...).

Regarding inks, if you don't have a substantial amount of experience with color management issues and futzing with printers, it's safest to use the OEM ink the printer is made to work with rather than trying third-party inks (which do exist, but are more difficult to deal with if you don't have much experience).  If you decide you need archival inks, then get a printer that comes with them and use the ones it's made for; if you prefer dye inks, ditto.  Things will just work much easier that way.

Archival inks with archival paper will last for many years.  Dye inks often (not always, but most of the time - depends on exactly which inks you're talking about) have a bit more vibrant color and a bit blacker blacks, but can fade or color-shift quickly.  If you want something to look at for a couple of weeks, dye inks are fine; but if you want your prints to last much longer, you should go with archival inks.

If you're relatively inexperienced at making high-quality prints, it's safest to stick with papers made by the printer's manufacturer, or with papers recommended by people who have used them with your printer.  In any event, you'll want to make sure you have a printer-specific/ink-specific/paper-specific color profile available for whatever combination you're using.  If you're a beginner, I'd recommend choosing a printer and then looking at samples of the high-quality papers made by that printer's manufacturer (for example, Epson encloses print samples of a number of their papers with some of their printers) and choose the one(s) you like the look of.  If you use OEM papers, profiles for those papers will be included in the printer software (at least for Epson - I would be very surprised if the other major manufacturers would be any different, since they want to sell you their papers).

I wouldn't worry too much about specific DPI or resolution numbers.  There's far more to excellent image quality than that.  Read some printer reviews (from serious photography web sites or other media, not general consumer media) to choose one; you can't just go by a couple of simple numbers.

Of course, I'm assuming you want something you can be proud to hang on your wall (the prints, not the printer ) .  If you just want something to print snapshots to show your mother, this isn't the right place to ask, and ignore this post; check Consumer Reports instead.

Does this answer some of your questions?

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 06:52:57 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

RMichael

Best all in one printer
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 06:55:32 am »

Last I checked (which admittedly was a couple of years ago), all-in-one printers had far inferior print quality for photos than a dedicated photo printer.  Using a high quality photo printer for day-to-day text printing is nonoptimal, too, as it drinks up much more expensive ink than a laserjet type black & white printer, and you'll be constantly switching between high-quality paper for photos and low-quality paper for cheap everyday printing.  The standard approach is to get a high-end photo-quality color printer (Epson, HP, or Canon) for photos and a cheap laserjet for text printing.  If you want really good print quality, you won't get it with an all-in-one (unless they're made amazing improvements recently, which is always possible...).

Regarding inks, if you don't have a substantial amount of experience with color management issues and futzing with printers, it's safest to use the OEM ink the printer is made to work with rather than trying third-party inks (which do exist, but are more difficult to deal with if you don't have much experience).  If you decide you need archival inks, then get a printer that comes with them and use the ones it's made for; if you prefer dye inks, ditto.  Things will just work much easier that way.

Archival inks with archival paper will last for many years.  Dye inks often (not always, but most of the time - depends on exactly which inks you're talking about) have a bit more vibrant color and a bit blacker blacks, but can fade or color-shift quickly.  If you want something to look at for a couple of weeks, dye inks are fine; but if you want your prints to last much longer, you should go with archival inks.

If you're relatively inexperienced at making high-quality prints, it's safest to stick with papers made by the printer's manufacturer, or with papers recommended by people who have used them with your printer.  In any event, you'll want to make sure you have a printer-specific/ink-specific/paper-specific color profile available for whatever combination you're using.  If you're a beginner, I'd recommend choosing a printer and then looking at samples of the high-quality papers made by that printer's manufacturer (for example, Epson encloses print samples of a number of their papers with some of their printers) and choose the one(s) you like the look of.  If you use OEM papers, profiles for those papers will be included in the printer software (at least for Epson - I would be very surprised if the other major manufacturers would be any different, since they want to sell you their papers).

I wouldn't worry too much about specific DPI or resolution numbers.  There's far more to excellent image quality than that.  Read some printer reviews (from serious photography web sites or other media, not general consumer media) to choose one; you can't just go by a couple of simple numbers.

Of course, I'm assuming you want something you can be proud to hang on your wall (the prints, not the printer ) .  If you just want something to print snapshots to show your mother, this isn't the right place to ask, and ignore this post; check Consumer Reports instead.

Does this answer some of your questions?

Lisa
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117362\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi lisa and thank you so much for your detailed reply.  I see there is a new Forum for beginners...thank you and Marc and Michael.  

About my question, actually there are 2. The first is about the all-in-one that I want to use for home and office work. Thank you for letting me know the downside. I think I'll rethink on that.

The other, for professional prints, I am planning to buy Epson 3800. I wanted to have some information about paper and inks, since ,God willing I do plan to have sellable prints. I have seen the Hahnemühle   Fine art paper and I like the feel of it. I don't know if it is archival paper as well. But that's in the future and I'm sure there will be several other options. Would you know of some link that might help me with information on the type of papers available and their respective qualities as well as downsides?

I want to have the option of creating prints with vibrant colors as well as contrasty black and white. Which paper in your experience has both capabilities or do all of them have it? Do different printers also have different capabilities......some are better at color and some better at single or double tone and black and whites?

I asked about the DPI coz I needed some pointer as to how to decide on a printer,and DPI seems to be one of the parameters,since it is mentioned in the specs.
So generally, the more the better?

Thank you so much for your valuable help.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 04:01:03 am by RMichael »

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
Best all in one printer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 10:28:32 pm »

Would you know of some link that might help me with information on the type of papers available and their respective qualities as well as downsides?

Not really.  But www.inkjetart.com sells sample packs of many fine papers that people here use - you can try a number of papers and see what you like.  LL also has some reviews of some art papers.  You might also try the Epson web site and see if they have descriptions of their papers.

I want to have the option of creating prints with vibrant colors as well as contrasty black and white. Which paper in your experience has both capabilities or do all of them have it?

The most vibrant colors and deep blacks can be had with glossy or semigloss papers.  Matte papers can't quite match them.  However, many photographers here prefer matte papers anyway, for other reasons (more "fine art" look, less reflections, etc.).  (I'm a glossy person myself, for just that reason.)

Do different printers also have different capabilities......some are better at color and some better at single or double tone and black and whites?
To some extent, yes.  However, only to some extent.  To a first approximation, what's good for one is good for the others.  Beyond that, I can't really tell you any details, except that the 3800 (which is what I have) is known to do all of them quite well.

I asked about the DPI coz I needed some pointer as to how to decide on a printer,and DPI seems to be one of the parameters,since it is mentioned in the specs.
So generally, the more the better?

Yes, but I would guess that for anything beyond 720 dpi most people can't see the difference without a magnifying glass.  Beyond 1440 dpi, that's certainly true.  Printer resolutions higher than that are probably just trying to make more sales by advertising bigger numbers.  Again, choose a printer based on a good review (there are some on this site, by the way), not on one number.

If you decide you have the budget to get an Epson 3800, that would be an excellent choice for top-quality prints; you can't go wrong with one.  Just keep in mind that for any good photo printer, the price of the paper and ink over its lifetime is at least as much as the printer's purchase price much more if you do high-volume printing.

Lisa
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 10:30:21 pm by nniko »
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

RMichael

Best all in one printer
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2007, 01:12:26 am »

Thanks Lisa.....this has been very helpful. I'll look up the reviews. I don't have the budget for Epson 3800, but when I can,I'll go for it.Thanks again.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up