Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom as Photoshop raw importer  (Read 2739 times)

caddy

Lightroom as Photoshop raw importer
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:04:53 am »

I've just started using LR.  I've been using Bibble as my raw converter for CS2.  How do I get PS to start using LR whenever I open a raw file?  I believe I can get the latest Camera Raw, but will that automatically grab any adjustments made in LR?  Or do I need to upgrade to CS3?

The reason is that I'd like to do all my basic adjustments in LR (WB, etc) then pull the files into PS in a batch to apply certain actions I always use.

Cliff

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 10:58:02 am »

The only raw converters that will understand each other's rendering instructions are ACR and Lightroom since they are both Adobe products sharing the same processing engine.

In Lightroom you select the image and pick Edit in Photoshop and the raw is rendered and you get a version of the pixel based file in Photoshop. Check out the Video of Michael and Jeff Schewe on the LL site for all the details in working with LR and Photoshop as well. Its important for you to understand what's actually going on here. You can't 'open' a raw in Photoshop. You either invoke ACR (camera raw) or use LR to build a pixel based image that Photoshop can handle.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

caddy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 12:46:46 pm »

I "understand" the basics of how raw files are handled.  The whole point is that I don't want to pick each one in LR and edit one at at time.  I want to be able to open them from PS as a batch.  Currently Bibble starts up on each file as PS opens it.  I'd like ACR to do this instead and get the LR adjustments I've already done.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 12:50:24 pm »

It does it if you export the xmp or use the dng format

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 01:36:17 pm »

I want to be able to open them from PS as a batch.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117298\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You got two options from Lightroom..."Export" "or Edit in Photoshop".

Export allows you to batch a bunch of images processed according to the adjustments in Lightroom and saved either as a jpg, tiff, psd or dng. You can record a Photoshop action, save it as a droplet and call that from Lightroom-meaning after the images are exported, they'll be run through the droplet.

Or, you can Edit in Photoshop which basically opens the image in Photoshop and auto-saves the file with a -Edit file name amendment. You can open multiple images into Photoshop at conce, but that won't be very efficient.

If you want to apply Lightroom adjustments and then process in Camera Raw, you'll have to export as dng.

I "understand" the basics of how raw files are handled.

Do you? Your confusion regarding how to use Lightroom and or Photoshop kinda disputes that...

Are you using the Bibble standalone product or the plug-in? If the plug-in you need to un-install that and install the most recent Camer Raw for Photoshop CS2 wich is Camera Raw 3.7. That can read and render Lightroom settings...
Pages: [1]   Go Up