Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 50mm fast lens for Pentax  (Read 4649 times)

RMichael

Best 50mm fast lens for Pentax
« on: May 13, 2007, 08:01:27 am »

Hi

Which is the best 50mm ,Fast lens that you would recommend for Pentax mount?

Thanks

Bobtrips

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 11:14:46 am »

Hi
Which is the best 50mm ,Fast lens that you would recommend for Pentax mount?

[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You might want to check the lens forum at [a href=\"http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/]Pentax Forums[/url].

And perhaps you are looking for the reach (FOV) of a 75mm on a 35mm camera, but when people ask this question I wonder if they are taking the 1.5x "crop" factor into consideration.

RMichael

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 05:30:32 pm »

You might want to check the lens forum at Pentax Forums.

And perhaps you are looking for the reach (FOV) of a 75mm on a 35mm camera, but when people ask this question I wonder if they are taking the 1.5x "crop" factor into consideration.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117279\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hello Bobtrips and thank you for responding. Yeah I can do that, but no harm asking more people.  .

I am really new to dslr though photography has been in my head since I was in my teens. I have to invest in my first set of lenses and I wanted to find out what do other photographers prefer and their opinion. Of  course there is the 50mm prime in Pentax, but maybe someone found a Sigma or a Tamron better. Also the crop factor makes some sense but still haven't quite grasped it. I use a Pentax K10d. I think it has a 1.5 crop factor.

Regards
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 05:31:21 pm by RMichael »

Bobtrips

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 02:55:01 am »

Hello Bobtrips and thank you for responding. Yeah I can do that, but no harm asking more people.  .

I am really new to dslr though photography has been in my head since I was in my teens. I have to invest in my first set of lenses and I wanted to find out what do other photographers prefer and their opinion. Of  course there is the 50mm prime in Pentax, but maybe someone found a Sigma or a Tamron better. Also the crop factor makes some sense but still haven't quite grasped it. I use a Pentax K10d. I think it has a 1.5 crop factor.
Regards
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

In the days of 35mm film the 50mm was the "standard" lens that everyone seemed to own.  It's the neutral point between wide angle and telephoto.  

When you stick a 50 on an APS-sized sensor camera you get narrower field of view because the sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film.  Try giving this article a read.

[a href=\"http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/understanding-series/dslr-mag.shtml]Sensor size and field of view.[/url]

I wanted to take some shots of a gardening project today and grabbed my K100D with the 50-200mm mounted (quite good lens, BTW) and tried to shoot the scene.  50mm was just too long to fit everything in.  I couldn't back up enough.  Back inside for the 18-55.  

I'm looking closely at the Tamron 18-250 as my 'walk-around'.   If I get that I would like to get a wide, bright lens for interior work with ambient light.  Say something around 20-25mm.

RMichael

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 07:28:18 am »

In the days of 35mm film the 50mm was the "standard" lens that everyone seemed to own.  It's the neutral point between wide angle and telephoto.   

When you stick a 50 on an APS-sized sensor camera you get narrower field of view because the sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film.  Try giving this article a read.

Sensor size and field of view.

I wanted to take some shots of a gardening project today and grabbed my K100D with the 50-200mm mounted (quite good lens, BTW) and tried to shoot the scene.  50mm was just too long to fit everything in.  I couldn't back up enough.  Back inside for the 18-55. 

I'm looking closely at the Tamron 18-250 as my 'walk-around'.   If I get that I would like to get a wide, bright lens for interior work with ambient light.  Say something around 20-25mm.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117400\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks for this info and even more for the link. I have quite some bit of reading up to do. So, 31 mm would be nicer than 50mm? What about full body or half body portraits? Which lens will work there?

I am looking at 50-200 or 70-300 for street photography.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up