Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Architecture shoots, what do you use ?  (Read 23244 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Architecture shoots, what do you use ?
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2007, 02:01:47 pm »

Stefan.
Danke, danke, danke.

Since you live in Germany, I'm going to ask if you know or ever used the Digi 20 from Gottschalt.

If so, how would you (or other fellow photographers) compare it to the Zoerk PSA?

Thoughts?

Eduardo

no problem - I think I have spend hours on the phone and via mail with fellow photographers to explain the psa to them. now, if only he would build me a mamiya-pentax psa for that, I would be happy.

stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118353\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
[/quote]

ericstaud

• www.ericstaudenmaier.com
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2007, 02:09:15 pm »

Eric, I looked at your architecture galleries, very good stuff you have there, (apart from the fact that the lower left of the laundry also looks curved here) may I ask with what camera you shot the "Museum of contemporary Art" in LA?
http://www.ericstaudenmaier.com/site/image...es/large_03.jpg

Judging by the degree of shift and the distance I'd say it was with a 4x5 film, right?

Thanks,

Bernhard
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That shot is 4x5.  It could be done with any of the P45/A75/E75 backs and a 35mm digitar, but only just.  The 47mm lens has slightly more shift.  Again, there are no Alpa shots on my web site.  Theses images are ALL Alpa:

[a href=\"http://www.ericstaudenmaier.com/alpa_sample/]http://www.ericstaudenmaier.com/alpa_sample/[/url]

rueyloon

• http://www.36frames.com
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2007, 12:10:23 am »

hmm.....  with all these, should I be considering going back to my arca swiss 69 instead ? will I be able to focus the 24mm on the arca swiss ?

The main reason I don't want to go this route is that I'm not too comfortable handling the digital back so often during a single shoot, as we all know, with every handling there is an increased chance of something stupid happening.

anyone with experience shooting architecture with a digital back on a view camera ?

yaya

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2007, 01:22:29 am »

hmm.....  with all these, should I be considering going back to my arca swiss 69 instead ? will I be able to focus the 24mm on the arca swiss ?

The main reason I don't want to go this route is that I'm not too comfortable handling the digital back so often during a single shoot, as we all know, with every handling there is an increased chance of something stupid happening.

anyone with experience shooting architecture with a digital back on a view camera ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118481\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The widest lens that is still PRACTICALLY focusable (a word?) on the 69 is the Super-Angulon 38mm.

On Paper the 24mm and 35mm work, but the reality is that it is very hard to maintain focus across the frame with these lenses.

Yair

stefan marquardt

• http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2007, 03:49:46 am »

Quote from: uaiomex,May 18 2007, 01:01 PM
Stefan.
Danke, danke, danke.>>>

hi eduardo - hey, if know some german, you should give herr zörkendorfer a call. make sure you use a cheap phoneconnection - even when i phone him for a quick question, i never get of the phone in under an hour or two. he is a real photo-optics and mechanics freak and a well of information.

<<Since you live in Germany, I'm going to ask if you know or ever used the Digi 20 from Gottschalt.>>

no never used one. I once send gottschalt two emails about the digi20 and never got an answer. I was trying to find out, if the digi20 can focus at infinity. in the description is says: "Product-photography" whereas all the other cameras mention "architecture...). so you should check that first. by the way. before i got to know all those solutions (zörk,...) I build my own solution, by adapting a sigma sd9 to my arca swiss 4x5 view camera, using mf lenses and stitching up to 6 frames for an architecture-image. the resolution of those images was probably as good or even better than a 39mpixelsensor. but just to much work taking and stitching all those frames.  If you still have your 4x5 and the hasselblad lenses wy don´t you try to build one yourself. a 100 euros/dollars should by you everything you need. (When you do, you will learn, that the main problem is to get the system to focus at infinity).

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

uaiomex

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2007, 02:59:13 pm »

Stefan:
Sorry, I don't speak german. But most likely Herr Zorkendorfer does english.

Your suggestion about building my own rig is a good idea. As a matter of fact, I already have done it for Hasselblad film magazines. Getting infinity was possible but barely. Doing it for the 5D must be next to impossible, because of the extra depth of the reflex box. Nevertheless. I 'm going to give it some thoughts.
Where do you think I could find a reliable locking Canon EF throat connector?
If I find this part, the rest should be easy.

On the other end (lens connector), where could I  find one for a CF Hasselblad lens? In the past, I made them out of their own plastic caps. I don't want to do that now, because of safety resons.
Best

Eduardo

Quote from: stefan marquardt,May 19 2007, 02:49 AM
Quote from: uaiomex,May 18 2007, 01:01 PM
Stefan.
Danke, danke, danke.>>>

hi eduardo - hey, if know some german, you should give herr zörkendorfer a call. make sure you use a cheap phoneconnection - even when i phone him for a quick question, i never get of the phone in under an hour or two. he is a real photo-optics and mechanics freak and a well of information.
<<Since you live in Germany, I'm going to ask if you know or ever used the Digi 20 from Gottschalt.>>

no never used one. I once send gottschalt two emails about the digi20 and never got an answer. I was trying to find out, if the digi20 can focus at infinity. in the description is says: "Product-photography" whereas all the other cameras mention "architecture...). so you should check that first. by the way. before i got to know all those solutions (zörk,...) I build my own solution, by adapting a sigma sd9 to my arca swiss 4x5 view camera, using mf lenses and stitching up to 6 frames for an architecture-image. the resolution of those images was probably as good or even better than a 39mpixelsensor. but just to much work taking and stitching all those frames.  If you still have your 4x5 and the hasselblad lenses wy don´t you try to build one yourself. a 100 euros/dollars should by you everything you need. (When you do, you will learn, that the main problem is to get the system to focus at infinity).
stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118495\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eric Zepeda

• http://www.ericzepeda.com
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2007, 04:15:42 pm »

I find the 47mm the widest I can comfortably focus on the view camera. I moved to the Cambo WDS for a better solution to the wider (35mm, 24mm) lenses.

As far as handling the DB, I routinely swap between the Cambo and the Hassy on a shoot, typically using the Cambo for wide shots and then swtiching to the Hassy for detail/vignettes. This interchangability is one of the biggest advantages to a mfdb imho.

That said, I always do the "wiggle test". Cheap insurance for an expensive piece of gear.
Eric Zepeda
 www.ericzepeda.com

Jae_Moon

• http://
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2007, 06:54:15 pm »

hmm.....  with all these, should I be considering going back to my arca swiss 69 instead ? will I be able to focus the 24mm on the arca swiss ?

I shoot landscape, not architecture, with P45 and Arca-Swiss 6x9. I currently use 35mm Digitar as my widest lens. I gave up on the factory original GG and have been using one from Maxwell Precsion Optics very satisfactorily. It's focus is tack sharp and screen is a magnitude brighter than the factory original.

I am in process of getting 24mm Digitar. It will focus infinity with 15mm recessed lens board, and with rear standard reversed. I use center filter for both 35 and 47, and will use one with 24 also.

Regarding an accidental drop of DB, I am being careful, take time and took out an insurance for it

Jae Moon

Prakash Patel

• http://www.prakashpatel.com
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2007, 10:59:11 pm »

Quote from: Jae_Moon,May 19 2007, 06:54 PM
I shoot landscape, not architecture, with P45 and Arca-Swiss 6x9. I currently use 35mm Digitar as my widest lens. I gave up on the factory original GG and have been using one from Maxwell Precsion Optics very satisfactorily. It's focus is tack sharp and screen is a magnitude brighter than the factory original.

I am in process of getting 24mm Digitar. It will focus infinity with 15mm recessed lens board, and with rear standard reversed. I use center filter for both 35 and 47, and will use one with 24 also.

Jae

Is your P45 a Hassy"V" mount? What type of GG did you get from Maxwell Optics?
I also use an Arca for normal to telephoto work and would like a more precise viewing system. Does your ground glass have a split image focus?

For ultra wide lenses, you are going to be challenged.............the helical focus mount of a  24xl/ Cambo WDS moves the lens only one mm. To move the focus of the lens one millimeter you have to rotate the lens focusing grip 5 inches.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 11:06:34 pm by Prakash Patel »

stefan marquardt

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2007, 02:23:04 am »

Your suggestion about building my own rig is a good idea. As a matter of fact, I already have done it for Hasselblad film magazines. Getting infinity was possible but barely. Doing it for the 5D must be next to impossible, because of the extra depth of the reflex box. Nevertheless. I 'm going to give it some thoughts.Where do you think I could find a reliable locking Canon EF throat connector? If I find this part, the rest should be easy.On the other end (lens connector), where could I  find one for a CF Hasselblad lens? In the past, I made them out of their own plastic caps. I don't want to do that now, because of safety resons. Eduardo[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118577\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Eduardo, when I built mine, I used a spacer ring(?) to get an camera-mount and a lens-mount. I fixed the lensmount on a recessed arca lensboard and mounted the lens - and thats important!!!: on the front-element-side to an other arca recessed lensboard. with that trick, you can focus easy to infinity and have hugh amount of shift too. I built myself an universal lensmountplatething which lets me connect any lens from any brand to it.
 this pic (http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de/achitecture_nr_1_frima__gmp/achitecture_nr_1_frima__gmp.html) was one of my first pictures with this setup and consisted of 6 stiched sd9 images.

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch

adammork

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2007, 06:30:56 am »

Regarding an accidental drop of DB, I am being careful, take time and took out an insurance for it

Jae Moon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118623\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dear Jae

I have used the 24mm on both an Arca monolith 6x9 and a Misura, yes it can focus at infinity, but I had a very hard time getting the focus on the entire frame, the result, from my point of view, varied from just useable to not useable at all....

The focus distance, as I recall from memory, from about 0.6 meter to infinity is about 1.6 millimetres, so even the slightest misalignment in the camera will show clearly.

That’s one of the main reasons for, that I'm using an Alpa XY these days.

Very best,
Adam
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 06:33:12 am by adammork »

Jae_Moon

• http://
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2007, 09:19:22 am »

Jae

Is your P45 a Hassy"V" mount? What type of GG did you get from Maxwell Optics?
I also use an Arca for normal to telephoto work and would like a more precise viewing system. Does your ground glass have a split image focus?
For ultra wide lenses, you are going to be challenged.............the helical focus mount of a  24xl/ Cambo WDS moves the lens only one mm. To move the focus of the lens one millimeter you have to rotate the lens focusing grip 5 inches.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Prakash:

My P45 is H mount so I can share it between Arca-Swiss and H2 (for auto focus ). When I got my A-S, I could not focus with its provided GG; not only it is dark and very grainy its focusing is off slightly even in best circumstances. I got Maxwell Hi Lux Brilliant Matt GG which has much brighter screen with finer Fresnel lens patterns. It does not have the split image focus. I use a Schneider loupe (10x) for final focusing and Wista 5x for general focusing and composingI

have used the 24mm on both an Arca monolith 6x9 and a Misura, yes it can focus at infinity, but I had a very hard time getting the focus on the entire frame, the result, from my point of view, varied from just useable to not useable at all....

The focus distance, as I recall from memory, from about 0.6 meter to infinity is about 1.6 millimetres, so even the slightest misalignment in the camera will show clearly..
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118646\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Adam:

As I indicated earlier, I do not have 24mm yet and 35mm is my widest lens. Both you and Prakash are right, it is not easy to focus A-S with its not-so-precise rack and pinion gearing. I wish they would implement more precision gearing for focus, such as the one used in a micrometer.

I believe both 24 and 35mm focus from infinity to close up within less than 1.5mm movement of focusing rail, which is less than a wiggle of the knob.

A question to Adam, I am not totally clear what you mean by the difficulty of focusing entire frame. Is it with front-tilt or without any movement? The image circle of 24mm barely cover the P45 image sensor, 60mm diagonal. I would appreciate it much if you elaborate your experiences in more details. I didn't write the check for 24mm yet.

Jae Moon

adammork

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2007, 10:20:16 am »

Prakash:

My P45 is H mount so I can share it between Arca-Swiss and H2 (for auto focus ). When I got my A-S, I could not focus with its provided GG; not only it is dark and very grainy its focusing is off slightly even in best circumstances. I got Maxwell Hi Lux Brilliant Matt GG which has much brighter screen with finer Fresnel lens patterns. It does not have the split image focus. I use a Schneider loupe (10x) for final focusing and Wista 5x for general focusing and composingI
Adam:

As I indicated earlier, I do not have 24mm yet and 35mm is my widest lens. Both you and Prakash are right, it is not easy to focus A-S with its not-so-precise rack and pinion gearing. I wish they would implement more precision gearing for focus, such as the one used in a micrometer.

I believe both 24 and 35mm focus from infinity to close up within less than 1.5mm movement of focusing rail, which is less than a wiggle of the knob.

A question to Adam, I am not totally clear what you mean by the difficulty of focusing entire frame. Is it with front-tilt or without any movement? The image circle of 24mm barely cover the P45 image sensor, 60mm diagonal. I would appreciate it much if you elaborate your experiences in more details. I didn't write the check for 24mm yet.

Jae Moon
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118675\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sorry for not being precise. I meant, I had a very hard time, with the 24mm, to produce a sharp image, edge to edge with my arca's without any movements - if you standards not are completely align with each other you will get one side of the frame in focus and the other out of focus.

I could not achieve that perfect alignment with my Arca's most of the time.

The 35 mm works ok on the Arca if you are careful. But the 24 are a different beast in my opinion.

I would strongly recommend, if possible, trying the 24mm on your camera to see if it works for you, before you write the check.

Before I got the Alpa XY, I first got the Alpa TC only for use with the 24 mm, a compact and precise solution that don't take up much more space in the bag than a 24 mm on a lensboard - cost is an other story...

Very best,
Adam

uaiomex

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2007, 02:40:51 pm »

Stefan:
Can you explain what do you mean by "spacer ring"?

And where should I look for them?
Better yet, if you can show us a picture of it.
Much better yet, a picture of the whole contraption too.

If you prefer, you can email me direct, Thanks. uaiocervantes@gmail.com

Eduardo, when I built mine, I used a spacer ring(?) to get an camera-mount and a lens-mount. I fixed the lensmount on a recessed arca lensboard and mounted the lens - and thats important!!!: on the front-element-side to an other arca recessed lensboard. with that trick, you can focus easy to infinity and have hugh amount of shift too. I built myself an universal lensmountplatething which lets me connect any lens from any brand to it.
 this pic (http://www.stefanmarquardt-architekturbild.de/achitecture_nr_1_frima__gmp/achitecture_nr_1_frima__gmp.html) was one of my first pictures with this setup and consisted of 6 stiched sd9 images.

stefan
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118659\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2007, 03:02:46 pm »

Can you explain what do you mean by "spacer ring"?

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118701\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Extension tube for macro photography ??

S
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

stefan marquardt

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2007, 03:40:28 am »

Quote from: Morgan_Moore,May 20 2007, 02:02 PM
Extension tube for macro photography ??

exactly. couldn´t think of the right name. you find them on ebay cheap. I am afraid, I cant take a pic because the camera is in a different location and partly dissembled. I dont use it very often since I have the zörk and the zd.

stefan
stefan marquardt
stefanmarquardt.de arch
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up