Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capability of APS/Z3100ps  (Read 2107 times)

mattw

Capability of APS/Z3100ps
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:06:47 pm »

I have two questions that I’d like some input on.

1. I have the ColorVision Spyder2Pro colorimeter. Can any of you with the HP APS tell me what capabilities the APS and included colorimeter provides, if any, over a standard monitor calibrating device like the ColorVision?

2. Does anyone know what the difference in capabilities between the Z3100ps driver and the EFI Designer Edition 5.1 for HP XL RIP are? The Designer Edition XL RIP is listed as a separate option in the Z3100ps brochure. (I realize since the Z3100ps is not yet available that no one may be able to answer this.)

Thanks for any info you can give me.

Matt

marty m

• http://
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:17:09 pm »

1. I have the ColorVision Spyder2Pro colorimeter. Can any of you with the HP APS tell me what capabilities the APS and included colorimeter provides, if any, over a standard monitor calibrating device like the ColorVision?

2. Does anyone know what the difference in capabilities between the Z3100ps driver and the EFI Designer Edition 5.1 for HP XL RIP are? The Designer Edition XL RIP is listed as a separate option in the Z3100ps brochure. (I realize since the Z3100ps is not yet available that no one may be able to answer this.)

Matt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I've never used the Spyder2Pro, so I can't offer a direct comparison.  I suspect that the capabilities of that and the APS colorimeter are about the same.  In the case of the APS you need the colorimeter to run the software, as software won't operate unless the colorimeter is plugged in.

Can't comment on the EFI.  I believe it is a RIP that is aimed at CMYK prepress production.  Others can comment who have a greater knowledge of the field than me.  But if you aren't doing work for CMYK press publication, then a RIP might not be necessary.

I believe the APS can be used for CMYK as well, but again, others can with greater expertise can comment on that.

The main advantage of the APS is that it creates superior profiles as compared with the Easy software.  The degree to which the APS is superior is a personal judgment, but if you can get it with the printer for about the same price, then you should do so.

I assume the PS model will be available for sale before the rebate expires on July 31.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 04:40:30 am »

Matt
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117140\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

APS needs an i1D2 plugged in to function. It is not made to work with any other including other Gretag instruments.
EFI is a host based software rip. The PS model is a hardware embedded rip that resides on a card that is plugged into the mother board on the computer.
There are too many differences to list here.
The main thing you need to know is the PS card is rather a comm port for multi post and multi level needs or sending application requirements. The EFI rip is specifically a rip with nesting, and built in CLC , , many prepress functions too( like adding a control strip).
Even though both are called rips, it is rather the EFI that is a rip in my mind. The PS carded rip is great for having one printer in a medium sized environment to print to from whatever application and whatever level of print preparation the users may have.
Pages: [1]   Go Up