Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS3 upgrade installed, can I now uninstall CS2?  (Read 3559 times)

zebdov

CS3 upgrade installed, can I now uninstall CS2?
« on: May 12, 2007, 05:20:10 am »

Multipart Exam Paper

Not for the faint-hearted.

Z. is running Windows XP

Question 1
Z. has now upgraded to CS3 from CS2. Can Z. now uninstall his old CS2 or is it still necessary to validate the update?

Question 2
If the answer to Q.1 is 'yes', does Z. have to deactivate CS2 or do anything special before uninstalling it?

kjkahn

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 10:37:06 pm »

Multipart Exam Paper

Not for the faint-hearted.

Z. is running Windows XP

Question 1
Z. has now upgraded to CS3 from CS2. Can Z. now uninstall his old CS2 or is it still necessary to validate the update?

Question 2
If the answer to Q.1 is 'yes', does Z. have to deactivate CS2 or do anything special before uninstalling it?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117081\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I did without problem, and didn't "deactivate" anything. However, before you do, copy plugins, custom brushes, actions, custom help files, etc. from CS2 folders into the appropriate folders for CS3.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:30:07 am »

However, before you do, copy plugins, custom brushes, actions, custom help files, etc. from CS2 folders into the appropriate folders for CS3.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117208\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Uh, that's ok for presets, brushes, actions but NOT for "plug-ins". The safest way to install plug-ins is to use the installer provides by the developer, not just copying them over. First off, the odds are you'll need updates for CS3 and only 3rd party plug-ins can be moved. Never, ever move Photoshop installed plug-ins between versions. Photoshop installed plug-ins are version specific.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:19:04 am »

I am leaving CS2 fully installed and operational until I am satisfied that some issues with CS3 that affect my workflow are fully under control. There's no problem working back and forth between the two versions of the program - say for doing raw conversion and image editing in CS3, going back to CS2 for printing. I find it a good "insurance policy" not to trash what I know works well for me until I'm confident that there's no advantage to keeping it any longer; then I trash it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mistybreeze

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 09:39:37 am »

I have a similar question, what is the best way to safely un-install older versions of Photoshop? I have version 7 and CS and the only version I use is CS2. My desire to "clean house" on the hard drive is strong but I've never un-installed an app on a Mac (G4 MDD) before. Can one simply trash the main Version 7 Folder and expect success?

Thanks.

kjkahn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 10:41:40 am »

I used the installers for those plugins that have them. I think I had some that just wanted me to copy a file to a a particular folder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up