Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon Coolscan 8000 Wet mount scan problem  (Read 4132 times)

DMcShane

Nikon Coolscan 8000 Wet mount scan problem
« on: May 10, 2007, 07:42:57 pm »

Recently I went to use my Image Mechanics Wet Film Holder on my Nikon Coolscan 8000...

For some odd reason the scanner seemed to think the above holder was Nikons 35mm holder and thus I could not capture the entire image area of the 645 chrome I was scanning. I tried cleaning out the code squares that tell the scanner which holder is in use and repeatedly tried ejedcting and reloading the holder to no avail.
I've used the wetmount holder for several years and have never run into this problem.Though the scanner doesn't always play nicely with it.

I recently received the 8000 back from Nikon Repair and this was the first time I've done a wet mount scan since its return. Perhaps the repair stopped the scanner from correctly identifying the holder. I sent it in for banding problems (another topic in itself) and I noticed on the work order they replaced the sliding cover within standards and did general check and clean, I'm not sure what they did to help the banding problem. Now I can only get banding free scans with "Super Fine Scan" checked in the CCD Scan Mode in NikonScan. I still get banding using Silverfast as the CCD Scan Mode is not a user chooseable option.

As another aside I still can not use newly updated SilverFast 6.5 without banding. So I am back to using NikonScan and currently I find that I am getting amazing color accuracy with NikonScan on 35mm slides that I could never get previously, and thus had switched to SilverScan and its superior color management soon after purchasing the scanner some years back.

I'd like to be able to use SilverFast again but the banding is unexceptable.

I know in the past when I've contacted Nikon support they don't recommend using the modified Image Mechanics film holder, so as yet I haven't contacted Nikon and thought I'd try to find some help here on the forum!

I've tried using SilverFast AI 6.5, Nikon Scan 4.0 and the latest VueScan software all of which I have used for years though its been a while since I cranked up VueScan and all 3 recognize the holder as 35mm. I realize its a hardware problem but thought it worth a try.

Anyone experienced similar problems with the Image Mechanics (Micheal Grecco) holder?

If you are using the Image Mechanics holder on your 8000 but have experienced banding I'd be interested in hearing about it and any possible remedies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up