Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: HP APS pricing  (Read 8071 times)

rdonson

HP APS pricing
« on: May 10, 2007, 08:18:39 am »

A number of us purchased Z3100 models without APS to take advantage of rebates from HP.  The rebates were very attractive.

The rebates have changed and now more Z models are included.  Several of these models include APS.

Now we're wondering what happens to those who purchased w/o APS.  Should HP allow registered owners to now purchase APS at a reduced price?  Something that would be equivalent to the new rebate program?
Regards,
Ron

Panascape

HP APS pricing
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 08:29:12 am »

What about those who purhcased APS and paid the full price surely if HP takes up your suggestion, we must be compensated?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 08:29:45 am by Panascape »

rdonson

HP APS pricing
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 09:11:50 am »

What about those who purhcased APS and paid the full price surely if HP takes up your suggestion, we must be compensated?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Great point, Robert.
Regards,
Ron

chris anderson

HP APS pricing
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 09:13:19 am »

I am in the same boat as you guys. And WOULD like APS for free or a VERY resasonable price!!
      C

BlasR

• http://BMRWorldPhotos.com
HP APS pricing
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 09:44:21 am »

Quote from: chris anderson,May 10 2007, 09:13 AM
I am in the same boat as you guys. And WOULD like APS for free or a VERY resasonable price!!
      C

Me too

BlasR
BlasR
  [url=http://www.BMRWORLDPHOTOS.CO

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
HP APS pricing
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 04:40:54 pm »

This week I asked HP Germany if it is possible to buy the APS with a rebate to complete my new Z3100, but I got only a short and quite rude answer to ask the reseller where I bought my printer.

marty m

• http://
HP APS pricing
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:48:06 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116758\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Yes.

But the cost to HP for ensuring goodwill with their customers would be far less than $800.00.

All of us who bought the APS would be satisfied with the equivalent of an $800 rebate or coupons for ink and paper.  The markup on ink and paper is huge.  The cost to HP would be next to nothing

I'll bet that the number of customers who bought the APS separately is a tiny handful.  A few hundred even across the entire globe?  Maybe even less than that?  Less than 50 since the software only worked with the printer, and both were brand new products?

So why not pass out rebates or coupons for HP merchandise and maintain goodwill?

For those who bought the priner without the APS, supplying downloadable software (the APS) would cost HP nothing.

I guess HP doesn't care that threads accuse HP of ripping off and cheating their customers, even after those statements are completely supported and vindicated.

It is odd.  HP has worked hard to address our issues related to color, the APS, etc.

Why are they throwing the goodwill away for what is actually a trivial amount of money by their standards?
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:51:06 am by marty m »

Charlie B

HP APS pricing
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:02:08 pm »

A number of us purchased Z3100 models without APS to take advantage of rebates from HP.  The rebates were very attractive.

The rebates have changed and now more Z models are included.  Several of these models include APS.

Now we're wondering what happens to those who purchased w/o APS.  Should HP allow registered owners to now purchase APS at a reduced price?  Something that would be equivalent to the new rebate program?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I would jump at the chance to buy APS at a significantly reduced price. Even though, I already own the GtratagMacbeth i1 photo system.

Roscolo

HP APS pricing
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 09:13:07 pm »

A number of us purchased Z3100 models without APS to take advantage of rebates from HP.  The rebates were very attractive.

The rebates have changed and now more Z models are included.  Several of these models include APS.

Now we're wondering what happens to those who purchased w/o APS.  Should HP allow registered owners to now purchase APS at a reduced price?  Something that would be equivalent to the new rebate program?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116755\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess I'm in a fortunate position. I am still within the return period of my 44" z3100 and I haven't claimed the rebate yet. So, if HP is going to include the APS (and I decide I even want it) and offer the z3100ps for the same price as the z3100, then I can simply return my z3100 and get the z3100ps (for the same price).

However, I'm still not seeing where the big conspiracy or rip-off is. At HP, the z3100ps is $7,495. The z3100 without ps is $6,295. Even after the $1000 rebate, the difference between ps and non-ps is $1200. On the 24" models, the difference is $1000.

So the people who are now purchasing the z3100ps and getting the $1000 rebate, are not getting the z3100ps for the same (lower) price we paid. They are still paying $1000 or $1200 more and getting the APS "included."

So, is it really "free" if one is paying $1200 more to have APS "included" on the z3100ps over the z3100?

I'm really not sure I understand the point of all these emotional accusations. I don't see where anyone is getting ripped off. It's getting hot in here again as some "fan the flames."

I'll give you that perhaps I'm a bit calmer because I didn't jump right on the rebate and I can still return my printer if I want. Frankly, I haven't seen any great revelation about APS that makes me want to have it. If I do, that could change.

I do know that one will get further with any company if one doesn't rush to judgment and resort to emotional outbursts, accusations, namecalling, etc.

rdonson

HP APS pricing
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 09:22:30 pm »

I do know that one will get further with any company if one doesn't rush to judgment and resort to emotional outbursts, accusations, namecalling, etc.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't think I've rushed to judgment, resorted to an emotional outburst, accusations or name calling.

People were reporting that they were able to buy the PS version for a very small amount more than we bought the basic Z3100.  

Other people have purchased the APS separately for the full price only to find that models with the APS are available now with a rebate.  

I understand the sentiment of your post but I don't feel guilty of what you're saying.
Regards,
Ron

marty m

HP APS pricing
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 09:23:54 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116886\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you honestly believe that companies who rip off customers will do the right thing if we all make nice, patient, polite calls -- well, that it is a bit naive.

You are emotionally and stubbornly invested in the original argument you made on the thread about HP ripping us off, and I don't ever expect you to change your position.  Even if costs you $800.  That is your decision to make.

I'd point out that, for the record, that when the facts appeared to demonstrate that I was wrong (no rebate on PS models) I admitted my error and apologized to everyone on the forum.  I'll always admit if I'm wrong based on the facts, as I did.

But now the facts clearly support the view that those who bought the printer in the first 60 days lost $800.  How you want to deal with that is up to you.

You should follow the example of others on the New HP APS Thread.  Admit your error and give it a rest.  You might also consider returning your printer, buy the PS model, and save $800.  

And please stop telling us that we are so wrong, when the facts now clearly demonstrate the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 09:28:50 pm by marty m »

Roscolo

HP APS pricing
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 09:36:19 pm »

I don't think I've rushed to judgment, resorted to an emotional outburst, accusations or name calling.

I understand the sentiment of your post but I don't feel guilty of what you're saying.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116887\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ron...this comment was certainly not intended for you.  

Marty, if I returned my z3100 right now, I could purchase the z3100ps, and yes, I could still get the rebate. And, yes, it would have the APS. But I would have to pay $1200 more for it.

If one has to pay $1200 more to get something "included" is it really "free?"

And, yes, one will get further by engaging in polite discourse with companies than by calling them names on the internet. Frankly, if someone came into my studio and accused me of "dishonestly ripping them off"  or "cheating" that would be the end of our conversation and they would have to leave until such time as they can carry on a mature discussion as an adult.

stevenh

HP APS pricing
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 12:21:12 am »

i guess i am confused by the "free" statement as well.  hp seems to be selling the aps/ps version of the 24" for about $1200 more than the non version before rebate. they are now giving rebates for both versions. $1000 each. which still leaves a $1200 difference in price. (earlier on the phone they told me that the ps version was not included, i am glad they changed that, still it keeps the approx. $1000 price difference between the two models the same.... unless i am missing something)

now, some of you seem to be getting a better deal through private vendors in which they seem to be selling the ps/aps version for about the same price or a little more than the non ps/aps version.  

it seems that that has nothing to do with hp but everyting to do with those particular vendors and a marketing choice on their part since hp doesn't seem to enforce a set sales price the way apple does with their ipods for instance.

having said that.... i would probably jump at the chance at a greatly discounted or **cough** free aps given out of good will to those of us who have bought the z3100 even though i already have a monoco system and colorimeter.

Ron...this comment was certainly not intended for you.   

Marty, if I returned my z3100 right now, I could purchase the z3100ps, and yes, I could still get the rebate. And, yes, it would have the APS. But I would have to pay $1200 more for it.

If one has to pay $1200 more to get something "included" is it really "free?"

And, yes, one will get further by engaging in polite discourse with companies than by calling them names on the internet. Frankly, if someone came into my studio and accused me of "dishonestly ripping them off"  or "cheating" that would be the end of our conversation and they would have to leave until such time as they can carry on a mature discussion as an adult.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116889\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MSalivar

HP APS pricing
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:01 am »

I guess the question is, why on earth did you all buy something you thought was such a poor value?

Prices change and products evolve, it happens everywhere.  In the computer world CPU's have price cuts regularly, and memory fluctuates up and down.  Those of us who follow it have learned to catch things at the proper time in the life cycle to get the best value.  Yet, I don't see anyone complaining about Intel dropping the price of their processors.

I've never seen someone complain that the price of a book or DVD/CD drops over time.

Patient consumers will wait until a car or painting sits on the lot/wall until the seller gets impatient themselves, and is more willing to negotiate.

It's the way our economy works.

Clearly HP is both listening to their customers and feeling some heat from Canon with their upcoming refresh with onboard spectros.  I just can't understand why anyone would think they're entitled to HP's changes (free upgrades, refunds, vouchers) beyond firmware and software updates (should they be produced) for products they've already purchased.  Obviously everyone here is somewhat intelligent, mastering the use of opposable thumbs and all.  Therefore, you made an educated decision in purchasing a Z3100, coming to the conclusion that the equipment was worth the money asked.  Thus you traded your hard earned cash for the equipment, and besides warranty and any service plans that were purchased, the deal ends there.  Anything extra that HP offers you like software updates and firmware are extra, and anyone that receives a price break now or in the future should consider themselves lucky, receiving a mature product for less.

Honestly, quit your bitching people, all these whiny posts make it tedious to wade through this forum.  HP is doing a damned fine job with continued development, and taking care of real issues in a timely fashion.

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
HP APS pricing
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:48:40 am »

If I get silly answers from the HP support after a polite question and after spending more than 2 peanuts for a Z3100, it's easier for me as a customer to pick the next hardware product that I need from another company instead from HP.

I can live with the answers from HP, but this is not the way to build up a loyal customership.

Charles Gast

HP APS pricing
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 09:27:00 am »

I bought the 3100 and I was waiting for aps to support the use of 11x17 sheets for profiling.  Now that I see resellers able to sell it with aps at a price point that nearly gives it away free I am less interested than ever in the aps. If the resellers can give it away then obviously HP is giving it to the resellers. The price on HPs website is inconsequencial. Who buys direct from them with all the discounted resellers out there to choose from? They have done this without any apparent consideration for the current owners of their printers.  I am now more interested than ever in Onyx and Colorbyte.  If one of them comes up with a RIP that provides the gamut this inkset is capable of producing and a high accuracy profiling system that makes sense I will gladly pay for that.  What HP is doing now with APS is driving away - well, me.

Roscolo

HP APS pricing
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 11:06:53 am »

If I get silly answers from the HP support after a polite question and after spending more than 2 peanuts for a Z3100, it's easier for me as a customer to pick the next hardware product that I need from another company instead from HP.

I can live with the answers from HP, but this is not the way to build up a loyal customership.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116925\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, who else do we have to choose from? There's Epson...I've been using cloggy Epson's for the past several years. And Epson's support is the worst I've experienced.

Then there's Canon. I was excited about the ipf5000 and ipf8000 until the documentation and support and reliability of Canon resulted in a "do not buy" recommendation by the founder of the wiki.

I'm not sure what your expectations are. I also spent more than 2 peanuts, but I consider the z a bargain. I've seen no reports of clogs. It appears issues that customer's have had have been addressed through firmware updates, etc. I've had no issues.

Of the 3, HP is the clear leader at this point, to me. If all people have to complain about is some APS pricing that I don't even see reflected in the pricing, then it's a testament to the z3100 being a very well designed machine with few problems.

I am happy that now I don't have to ever call Epson support ever again. And I'm not doing reprints and spending hours dealing with banding from clogs.

I've had to make no calls to HP support with the z3100. I did have a problem with a notebook battery that exhibited all the symptoms that suggested it was subject to a recall, even though the serial number got kicked out of an automated online recall procedure. When I called HP on that matter, I got the runaround. However, I did not lose my cool and resort to namecalling and making exaggerated accusations on web forums. I simply called HP customer support and explained the situation. They got the battery out to me and it solved my problem.

stevenh

HP APS pricing
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:15 am »

actually, very nicely put. roscolo.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 11:41:49 am by stevenh »

Ernst Dinkla

HP APS pricing
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 12:31:34 pm »

actually, very nicely put. roscolo.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

About 5 threads are infested with this issue. In the end it is nothing more than the fact that marketing decides what the prices are for any given time, place and goods. Consumers usually decide that it is time to buy and decide where to buy and what to buy. After that everything is changed again, that's how it works. So your next decision may end in a better deal which may not prove to be a better deal as there's a faster machine around (Z6100) or another manufacturer may have improved its range.
Meanwhile you are producing work on the machine you bought first that couldn't have been made if you didn't purchase it in fear of making a bad deal.

Ernst Dinkla

try: [a href=\"http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/[/url]

marty m

HP APS pricing
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2007, 12:34:22 am »

i guess i am confused by the "free" statement as well.  hp seems to be selling the aps/ps version of the 24" for about $1200 more than the non version before rebate.  unless i am missing something)  now, some of you seem to be getting a better deal through private vendors in which they seem to be selling the ps/aps version for about the same price or a little more than the non ps/aps version.  it seems that that has nothing to do with hp but everyting to do with those particular vendors
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116907\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
If you want to pay the manufacturer's list price, go ahead and buy from HP.  Those of you who want to argue this point love to quote the HP prices, and ignore the prices that any sane person would pay from resellers.  

What are you missing?  Read the original thread that started this, and then you'll know.  As that thread reported, the prices for the Z3100 suddenly dropped by $800.  It didn't drop with only one or two vendors.  It dropped with many vendors across the board.  What is clear is that HP dropped the prices for the resellers.  As I recall, the PS model didn't even exist when many of us bought the Z3100 without APS or bought the APS separately.  HP created a new model and a new bundle, and the price they are charging resellers allows them to sell the new PS model with APS for roughly the price they charged for the Z3100 without APS less than 60 days ago.

As for comment from Ernst Dinkla that these complaints are infesting the forum, well, all you need to do is stop adding to it.  It is the debates that add to the length of the threads, so you have only yourself to blame in that regard.  If the threads bother you so much, ignore them.  Resist the need to respond!  Let those of us who were screwed by HP note that fact on our own.

Ditto with Roscolo.  In the thread on HP ripping us off, he based his entire argument on the assertion that the rebates didn't apply to the PS model.  (Don't take my word for it, go read his comments on that thread that went on for several pages.) I'm quoting the thesis of his argument correctly.  Now that HP blew his argument out of the water by giving rebates to the PS models, he continues to take page after page arguing the point.  It is that type of pointless debate that adds to these threads.

When I was told that the rebates didn't apply, I admitted that I was wrong, and actually apologized to the forum.  Now that HP clarified that the rebates do apply to the PS model, some of you should follow my example.  Instead, some of you just continue to stubbornly debate the point, even after the actions of HP defeated your own arguments.  

On the other hand, a few participants on the forum have been gracious enough to admit that those of us who are critical of HP for doing this were right all along, and kudos to them.

For all of those who love to defend the irresponsible behavior of HP, I challenge you to quote 5 examples of manufacturers who released a consumer product costing $4000, persuaded the early adapters to pay that price, and only THE FIRST 60 DAYS later dropped the price by about $800 on that SAME CONSUMER MODEL.  (Five out of the tens of thousands of products released every year.)  I have put forth that challenge numerous times, and despite all the complaining and weak defenses of HP, no one has responded.

Why not?  Maybe because the lesson to all of us is:

DO NOT BUY HP PRODUCTS FOR THE FIRST THREE OR FOUR MONTHS AFTER RELEASE, IN ORDER TO BE CERTAIN HP WON'T DROP THE PRICE AND SCREW ANYONE FOOLISH ENOUGH TO BUY EARLY.[/color]

This is a great lesson for all of us.  If we all follow it, it means that hundreds of thousands of dollars of inventory will sit idle in warehouses at any seller of HP products, collecting dust, waiting for the consumers to be convinced that the price won't drop by a spectacular $800.

And that is exactly why manufacturers never behave as irresponsibly as HP.  Companies don't dare do this, or consumers will not trust the company, not buy the products when released, and vendors are stuck with tens of thousands of dollars of unsold inventory for the first three or four months.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:32:17 am by marty m »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up