Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon users and Lightroom  (Read 7758 times)

Oasis

Canon users and Lightroom
« on: May 10, 2007, 12:20:27 am »

Im desperately trying to get some help with the poor inbuilt RAW conversion. Can anyone give me some of their camera calibration settings so that my RAW images dont look so yellow on import.

See the below images with no modification for an example.

I am slowly (with the help of a purchased book) getting used to Lightroom and finding my photos are a marked improvement because of it. However this 'yellowy' RAW issue is getting to me.

Thanks

Chris

X-Re

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 12:29:19 am »

Never mind, I get it - the 2nd image is an adjusted version of the first....
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 12:30:16 am by X-Re »
Dave Re
dave@daverephoto.com website: [u

Oasis

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 12:34:17 am »

Sorry should have stated. The bottom pic is Canon's software. The top one is the same image imported into Lightroom. Picasa actually looks the same as Lightroom. It seems that ACR within Lightroom is not reading the images correctly. Im just stuck as to what camera calibration settings I should apply by default on an import

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 12:44:37 am »

Im just stuck as to what camera calibration settings I should apply by default on an import
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116720\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That ain't camera calibration bud, that's white balance. The default of Lightroom/Camera Raw is showing the image relatively accurately but if it's too warm, cool the color temp down.

Oasis

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 12:50:49 am »

yeah i have been able to change settings (learning still) and got the following JPGs from RAWs:

http://picasaweb.google.com/csputnam/MelbourneFireworks

It is quite obvious that not applying white balance in both software produces different results. Even when I apply 'as shot' its still quite yellow, but better. Plus when I export the JPGs look fine its just the display of RAW is constantly yellow and murky

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 03:42:50 am »

the display of RAW is constantly yellow and murky
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116722\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That's not something I'm seeing here with images from any of my Canons(10D, 1DmkII,1DsmkII).

Is it just from that shoot that the output looks wrong ? In which case the night lighting might have fooled the camera into setting an odd white balance or do they still look wrong from shots taken in normal daylight ?

jdyke

• http://www.jondyke.com
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:25:00 am »

Hi Chris

The Lightroom version looks more accurate to me to be honest ..the DPP version actually looks a wee bit too cool for my liking (although I am looking at this on an uncalibrated screen at the moment).  

Night shots of city lights do tend to come out a bit yellow due to the mix of diffrent lighting types - tungsten, fluorescent, halogen, neon.....

The issue is down to the whitebalance on you Camera rather than the converter.  Some converters do handle white balance differenlty but that is why they all provide you with a method to correct it.

You can either try some other WB in camera settings or you could also try shooting a Whibal or grey card to help with the white balance conversion in Lightroom later on (what I do most of the time).

I watched a tutorial once on Night photography which give some good tips.

Check out http://www.radiantvista.com/video_tutorials/page5/

If you really want to use a similar white balance for all of your night shots then save it as a preset and develop using that preset on import. This may work for some shots but diffrent shots will have different quatities of different types of lights so you may find that you are too 'blue' next time!

Best of luck,

Jon  

Oasis

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:15:48 am »

Hi there,

Im open for suggestions such as this and will study my white balance a bit more. I will also experiment in daylight with this.

I have tried to buy calibration cards without much success:( Know a place that will have them for sure and will try calibrating then

Thanks

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 06:38:20 pm »

Hi there,

Im open for suggestions such as this and will study my white balance a bit more. I will also experiment in daylight with this.

I have tried to buy calibration cards without much success:( Know a place that will have them for sure and will try calibrating then

Thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116766\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well my 2 cents on this subject and from my own experience I prefer DPP to lightroom for colors after conversion.

I really really wanted to like LR - I purchased it and tried to like it - but I just found it more difficult to get the sort of results I wanted with LR than with DPP.

DPP seems to give me more accurate colors, the result I want and it takes less work.

The downside for me is DPP isnt a DAM and I still do a round trip through CS3 for sharpening and higher level pixel wrangling. But its worth it IMO for DPP's conversion.

I know JS posted a thread a few months ago where he said I coukd get the same results with LR but it was more work *shrug* I havent got time for more work.

Every version of DPP gets better and better I find - I like the work flow a lot and love the conversions - its just a little light on editing tools if you want to do split toning etc.

The lack of a DAM in DPP I think really doesnt matter - the file browser does a good enough job provided your folder structures are well organised.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 06:39:55 pm by JHolko »
Wild Nature Photo Travel

GregW

• http://
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 07:01:03 pm »

Although this won't solve the problems with the images posted it does answer the first question if anyone is interested.  There is quite a good way of calibrating your camera with LR:

http://lightroom-news.com/2007/03/28/camer...tion-panel-tips

It's an extract from Martin Evening's Lightroom book fyi.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 07:01:42 pm by GregW »

Wolf Eilers

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 08:09:43 pm »

Whenever I use DPP and Lr I am left with two conclusions: Canon is a great hardware company, and Adobe is a great software company.

GregW

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 06:52:26 am »

Whenever I use DPP and Lr I am left with two conclusions: Canon is a great hardware company, and Adobe is a great software company.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118737\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have exactly the same opinion about Nikon and Adobe.  The only thing is Nikon don't have so much of an excuse because Capture NX development is outsourced.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 06:53:46 am by GregW »

John.Murray

• Images by Murray
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 04:11:22 pm »

In comparing the 2 screen-shots another thing that immediately jumps to my attention - the color-space.  LR uses a custom colorspace (base on Pro-Photo, someone feel free to jump in with better info here) - your DPP screenshot indicates SRGB.  Are we comparing apples to oranges in your specific instance?

Remember that color temp is recorded as metadata in a raw image - it does not affect what is actually recorded on the image itself.  LR will use the "as shot" setting stored, whether it happens to be appropriate or not - easy to change.

tompagenet

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 04:46:33 am »

I know JS posted a thread a few months ago where he said I coukd get the same results with LR but it was more work *shrug* I havent got time for more work.

Could anyone point me towards this post - I've spent about twenty minutes searching, but to no avail. I would like to see if I can reproduce some of the colour vibrance in Lightroom that I get in DPP

Yours, Tom

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 05:03:33 am »

Could anyone point me towards this post - I've spent about twenty minutes searching, but to no avail. I would like to see if I can reproduce some of the colour vibrance in Lightroom that I get in DPP

Yours, Tom
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=127403\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Good luck - Ive given up on LR. I just cant get it [or Camera Raw] to give me the same color results that DPP gives me.
Wild Nature Photo Travel
Pages: [1]   Go Up