Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom and Apple iMac Color Management  (Read 8690 times)

adam2591

Lightroom and Apple iMac Color Management
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:29:36 pm »

I am using Lightroom and a 24 inch iMac. I shoot in raw format... I have my monitor set to "wide gammut". My rebel xt color space is adobe rgb. Does anyone see an issue with these setting?

michael

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:43:11 pm »

Well, there's more to it than meets the eye.

Here's a starter....

You really need to profile your monitor. Doing any kind of serious work without a profiled screen will waste a lot of time and money. Buy an an inexpensive Eye One or similar.

If you are shooting raw then your camera's colour space setting is irrelevent. It only applies to JPGS. Set Lightroom to export Prophoto RGB. It's the native working space of Lightroom and the widest gamut colour space that most people use when preparing files for non-web use. (For the web, use sRGB).

There are quite a few articles on this site that will help you become familar with some of these issues and settings.

Michael

adam2591

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 07:26:19 pm »

is there anythng wrong with calibrating the monitor with the internal mac settngs? I can use a white reference point on my monitor

61Dynamic

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:32:37 pm »

Using the included software to calibrate is next to worthless. It depends on your eyes for the calibration and those are inconsistent. A hardware calibrator is a must.

AdrianL

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:59:03 am »

I am using a MacBookPro and a 30" Apple display.  Using the included MAC calibration tools has been difficult.  The result thus far is a warmer Apple display and a cooler MacBook display.  I am not at all satisfied.
The Ad for the Spyder2Pro indicates dual monitor support.  Has anyone used this with any success?  I am grateful for all the help this forum has been, especially Jeff Schewe, and others who are very patient with this beginner.

The View

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 02:27:30 pm »

It depends on your eyes for the calibration and those are inconsistent. A hardware calibrator is a must.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116685\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm using the Huey by Pantone, which doesn't allow my eye to make any decisions (except choosing presets like "Photo editing" "High contrast, warm tone" etc.

But I still think it is pretty good.

It also adjusts to the roomlight, so if you have slightly yellow wall paint, it is good that the Huey adjusts to the roomlight color.

What do you think, 61Dynamic?

PS: I just saw, on another thread, that the forum expects an introduction from every newcomer. Is that right? If so, I guess I missed out on that.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 02:35:40 pm by The View »
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

61Dynamic

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 03:25:57 pm »

I've never used it but based off all I've read from others who have is that it is a great starting tool for people on a budget. However, you do get what you pay for and a higher-end tool such as the Eye-One Photo will provide better results.

In fact just as I was writing this, I remembered I have this link talking about it. It pretty much says what I just did but does so with cool graphics and who doesn't like that?

Don't take the introduction thing too literally. The point is that it's better to introduce yourself by either saying "hi, I'm ..." or contribute in a meaningful way and not doing a post that sounds like an add coming from nowhere. Basically, treat the forum like you are at a social gathering and you are talking to everyone in person.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2007, 03:27:43 pm by 61Dynamic »

The View

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 03:47:39 am »

What do you think of the Spyder 2?

The interesting thing is: as it was my first calibration tool, I bought the simple-true-tried-and good one.

But now, only shortly later, I would rather have something more complex.
The View of deserts, forests, mountains. Not the TV show that I have never watched.

61Dynamic

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 01:27:50 pm »

I had the original Spyder and found it sub-par. Only after I bought the Eye-One Display 2 (what a lame name) did I realize the Spyder was constantly creating a green cast to the display leaving my adjustments noticeably magenta tinted. The new Spyder is much improved but still not up to the level of the Manaco or Eye-One 2. Drycreek Photo has reviews of the calibration tools.

The View

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 01:19:38 am »

The new Spyder is much improved but still not up to the level of the Manaco or Eye-One 2. Drycreek Photo has reviews of the calibration tools.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=117145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thank you! This is most helpful, especially as my Huey just died at the only second calibration.

I take back the good things I said about the Huey.

The View

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 02:00:17 am »

Eye One display 2 looks great. Can you also calibrate a printer with it, or do you need to buy additional software and hardware for this?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 03:03:29 am by The View »

61Dynamic

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 12:31:46 pm »

Eye One Display 2 is only for monitors (thus the display part of the name). If you want to profile printers you need the Eye-One Photo.

The View

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 12:42:45 pm »

Thanks,

Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up