Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Other raw converters  (Read 2650 times)

marcmccalmont

Other raw converters
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:32:20 pm »

Is there an option to run other raw converters within lightroom? i.e. DXO
Can one print to a canon ipf 5000 using the plugin within lightroom?
PC running XP
Thanks in advance
Marc
Marc McCalmont

DavidW

Other raw converters
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 07:49:30 pm »

Is there an option to run other raw converters within lightroom? i.e. DXO
Can one print to a canon ipf 5000 using the plugin within lightroom?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm sure someone else will confirm this - but I believe the answers are "no" and "no".

You may be able to use DxO to create a DNG that you can then import into Lightroom, but that's the only work-round I can think of. It's very rare that I use anything other than ACR (be it via Bridge CS3 / Photoshop CS3, or Lightroom) on a RAW file.

You can't use Photoshop plugins of any sort in Lightroom. Lightroom will get an SDK in due course, though I've no idea whether it will allow printer plugins.

Meanwhile, one well informed person's view (with which you may agree or disagree) about whether 16 bit print plugins are actually necessary can be found [a href=\"http://www.steves-digicams.com/techcorner/December_2006.html]here[/url].

David

marcmccalmont

Other raw converters
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 09:44:24 pm »

Thanks for the answer, I guess I'll upgrade to CS3 and stick to my current workflow. I like the output of dxo too much to give it up. The prints from the 16 bit plugin on the iPF5000 are noticably better than the windows driver so I don't want to sacrifice that either.
Thanks
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Recked

Other raw converters
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:13:15 am »

Hey,

I second your thoughts on DxO Marc. I tried to get an answer out of DxO tech as to whether they would be building anything to work within Lightroom and the answered appeared to be no.

I assume you are using DxO first as the company recommends? Are you also using Lightroom? If so, how are you bringing the DxO worked files into Lightroom?

thanks

marcmccalmont

Other raw converters
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 10:32:24 pm »

Hey,

I second your thoughts on DxO Marc. I tried to get an answer out of DxO tech as to whether they would be building anything to work within Lightroom and the answered appeared to be no.

I assume you are using DxO first as the company recommends? Are you also using Lightroom? If so, how are you bringing the DxO worked files into Lightroom?

thanks
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116561\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I tried the beta version of lightroom briefly but rejected it as I could not run DXO inside of the program (I have gotten better results with DXO than ACR in the past), I also find the Canon iPF5000 16 bit print plugin superior to the windows driver (no support for this either) and I use the history brush a fair amount in CS2 (as per DeWolfs digital fine print workshop book) so for me it's an upgrade to CS3 when I get around to it so far no compelling reason. I work on only a few images at a time so more efficient batch workflows aren't so important. I do like the thought of working on a RAW instead of a tiff from capture to print.
Marc
Marc McCalmont
Pages: [1]   Go Up