Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filter choices for 16-35L II  (Read 5653 times)

Khurram

Filter choices for 16-35L II
« on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:48 pm »

I'm looking for some advice on filters for my new Canon 16-35L II lens.

For my wide angle lenses, I usually use Hoya Pro 1 UV/Skylight filters to protect the lens and Singh-Ray polarizers and for my 70-200 2.8L i use a B+W skylight.

However, as i am getting frustrated with the difficulty with cleaning the Hoya Pro 1's (seem to smudge a lot more then my B+W filters), I wanted to know if anyone knows of any other options for a UV filter that will not vignette with wide angle lenses and has front filter threads (for when I want to attach my Lee wide hood to use graduated ND filters).

I have heard read that the Heliopan SH-PMC filters are thinner then most filters.  Is this a good choice for my 16-35L and 24-105L lenses?  Does anyone know if these filters are thin enough to prevent vignetting??

I am also looking for some advice on a thin Circular polarizer in the 82mm necessary for the 16-35L II lense.  I have Singh-Ray Color Combo, Kenko Pro 1 (same as Hoya), and a Moose warming polarizers in 77mm, but now need a 82mm Circular polarizer.  Singh-ray has adviced me that they are working on having limited quantities of their COlor combo polarizer (as well as the Vari ND), availalbe in 6-9 weeks which I have pre-ordered (incidently, if anyone is interested in getting an 82mm singh-ray, i recommend you pre-order now, as they will are only ordering enough parts to produce enough quantity to fill the pre-orders).

However, for the time being, i wanted to pick up a regular polarizer.  The only thin mount circular polarizer i have been able to find that have front threads is the Hoya Pro 1 filters.  Is there any other option??

Even among the Hoya Pro 1's i'm a bit confused on what to get, as I have come accross the following options:
   -Hoya Pro 1 Digital Multi-coated Circ polarizer
       ($270 at B&H & $170 at photofilter.com)
   -Hoya Pro 1 SMC circ polarizer ($260 at photofilter.com)
   -Hoya pro 1 super HMC circ. polarizer ($330 at B&H)

I hope this thread doesn't turn into a filter/no filter debate, as I have already had filters save my lenses on a number of occasions and will not shoot without one.  I just want some advice on the best options for filters given my needs.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:30:56 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 04:16:54 pm »

The Hoya Ultra polarizers I've been using scratch easy and rattle loose very quickly so for the new 16-35 I'm getting a B&W 82 mm.

I hope it's better built then the Hoyas..

matt4626

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:08:17 pm »

I've had problems cleaning Hoya filters too. B+W or Nikon (if I can find them) from now on.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:09:47 pm by matt4626 »

matt4626

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 05:09:16 pm »

I've had problems cleaning Hoya filters too. B+W or Nikon (if I can find them) from now on.

Khurram

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 06:00:06 pm »

David,
I have not had problems with my Hoya Pro 1's rattling or being loose.  however, i have had a lot of issues keeping them clean - they seem to smudge a lot.

I think i'm going to be stuck with them though.  I'm getting the slim mount Singh-Ray Color Combo and Vari-ND filters, but for my regular filter, i need ones that have front threads.  I've checked around regarding the Heliopan SH-PMC filters which are supposed to be thinner then most other filters, despite still having a brass ring.  However, these filters will vignetted for lenses under 22mm.  The only other filters that i have been able to find that do have front threads are the B+W Wide slim filters.  However, the front threads on the 82mm filter are 95mm.

It seems the only manufacturer that is making slim filters with front threads is Hoya/Kenko with their Pro 1 series filters.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 11:58:05 am »

I asked Canon (Oz) about vingetting on the 16-35 II with a normal thickness pola and they said the new lens would have a thread of 80mm except that there's no filters that size so they upped it to 82.

So it shouldn't be a problem..
Pages: [1]   Go Up