Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson 3800 & hahnemuhle photorag 188  (Read 1770 times)

clarkee80

• http://www.blackeyestudio.co.uk
epson 3800 & hahnemuhle photorag 188
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:20:35 am »

what settings are people generally using with this combination of printer and paper?

ive been playing around with it for nearly two weeks now and cant find a good balence
using the hahnemuhle photorag and epson driver settings.

ive downloaded the hahnemuhle profile and followed hahnemuhle's suggestions for printer settings (i spoke to them on the phone)  and its not very accurate compared to my old 1290s prints,
any advice or experience with the problem would be great!

ive already had a profile made which is usless now, so i want to get the settings sorted before i get a new one done.

the prints i have done all have a waterty effect around soft edges, and the blacks are softer than they should be.

cheers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 11:50:01 am by clarkee80 »
Andrew - Black Eye

madmanchan

• Web
epson 3800 & hahnemuhle photorag 188
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 12:29:27 pm »

I don't know about the 188 version, but maybe the 308 (which I've been working with) is similar enough.

Through my testing, I have found that Hahnemuehle's recommendation of Velvet Fine Art as the Media Type to be correct, for both printing through the standard RGB color driver and the ABW driver. For ABW, I recommend using Neutral or Light for the Tone menu (instead of my usual recommendation for Dark). Otherwise, the shadows will be overly compressed.

For both RGB and ABW printing, I leave the Color Density as its default value of 0.

I confess I wasn't overly impressed with HPR308's depth in my early 3800 tests. I am seeing a d-max of 1.64 in both RGB and ABW printing (L* = 17). I expected higher. I am used to seeing ABW prints with deeper blacks than corresponding RGB prints, so the mere fact that d-max is the same for both is a little unusual to me.

Perhaps other regular users of HPR (either 188 or 308) with K3 inks can comment on whether they're seeing anything unusual.
Eric Chan
Pages: [1]   Go Up