Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Northern Utah end of May  (Read 4342 times)

KenS

• Spark of Light Photography
Northern Utah end of May
« on: May 08, 2007, 11:09:19 am »

I'll be in the Snowbird Utah area at the end of May for one week.  I would appreciate any suggestions for specific mountain photography locations (Uinita Mtns, Wasatch, etc?).  I'll have a 4wd vehicle and can/will do day hikes.  Web sites with images from that area would also be useful to me.

I know there was a thread on this site about Northern Utah a few months ago which was useful but I am requesting some more specifics, esp. mountain photography.

BTW, I am very familiar with Southern Utah (having spent 2+ weeks there last fall, amazing area! and will be going back again next fall).

Thanks,
Ken

raptorsys

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:44:08 am »

Well, depending on ho much time you have and how much you like to drive if I were you I'd consider hitting Yellowstone.  I know, it's not in Utah, but from northern UT it is not that far and late May is a good time to be in Yellowstone for the following reasons:  not yet crowded, still snow in the mountains, cold enough that you can get interesting misty conditions that can add a kind of etherial feel.

Some other ideas:  Antelope Island (north od SLC), the Bird Refuge (west of Brigham City).

As to mountain views -- well they are everywhere and depending on what you're looking for can be viewed from your car nearly anywhere in the SLC/Park City/Ogden area.

Still, for me, I'd hit Yellowstone...

Brian

tombhs

• http://
Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:41:33 pm »

Ken:  If you want mainly alpine shots, stay in the canyons around SLC.  This time of year there is still alot of snow at the higher elevations so you may have to stay with the roads that are cleared by the plows.  I would also suggest you check out the web site Bestwestphoto.tripod.com where you will find many photos by a friend, Bill Crnkovich.  You may also want to email him for suggestions of photo locations.  Bill is a avid photographer and spends alot of time shooting in the area you will be staying in.  His email address is crnkovich@sisna.com.   If you are interested in coming down out of the mountains, the previous suggestions are good ones, Antelope Island for great sunset shots, bison, and if you are really good at stalking, antelope.  The Bird refuge which is west of Brigham city is about  two hour drive from Snowbird, alot of good pictures of marsh land and different water fowl.  There is a canyon called Farmington canyon out of the town of Farmington (30 min. north of SLC) where a dirt road takes you to the top of the mountains with a great view of the entire valley north of SLC.  I usually wait until June to go because of the snow but by the time you are here it may be passable.

Hope these suggestions help.

Tom Fairbank
Layton, Utah

KenS

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 04:45:07 pm »

Thanks much for the suggestions which I am now considering/checking out.

In addition I found a web site that has some nice images of the areas I'm interested in.

http://www.davidwhittenphoto.com/

Ken

mcculloched

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:07:37 pm »

Hi Ken,

I highly recommend Lake Blanche.  It is one of my favorites.
The hike is 5.5 miles round trip, all uphill on the way up with 2,500 elevation gain.

It is located about 4 miles up Big Cottonwood Canyon.  There will be a very sharp big turn to the left, the parking area is to the right.  The first half mile is paved with the main trail veering off to the right.  The end point are three lakes, Lake Blanche, Florence and Lillian.  They act like a three teared lake.  Sundial Peak and the backside of Mt Superior surround the lakes. The views are tremendous.  Do not miss this hike it is wonderful.

As far as snow is concerned, I hiked up to 9000 ft last week with only a few small snow areas at the very top.  With the heat we've been having I can't imagine there being much left by the end of the month.

Good luck and have fun!

Ed McCulloch

KenS

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 11:40:53 am »

Hi Ken,

I highly recommend Lake Blanche.  It is one of my favorites.
The hike is 5.5 miles round trip, all uphill on the way up with 2,500 elevation gain.
Ed McCulloch
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

Thanks for the info and encouragement.  I've come across some really fine images from that location  (posted on a few web sites ) in the last few days and it looks like a great opportunity!

Ken

KenS

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 11:44:18 am »

Hi Ken,

I highly recommend Lake Blanche.  It is one of my favorites.
Ed McCulloch
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118455\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

This may be a tough one to answer...

I shoot a Pentax 67and carry a heavy tripod so my gear is not light by any means.  I am thinking to hike to Lake Blanche with only 3 lenses, my 55, 75 and 200 mm lenses.  (Equivalent 35 mm focal lengths would be 24, 35, 100 mm).  I would leave my 105, 300, and 1.4x teleconverter behind.

Do you think this is appropriate or would you select some other combination?

Thanks,
Ken
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 11:50:50 am by KenS »

mcculloched

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 03:41:47 pm »

Ken, you should be in great shape with the 55, 75 and 200.  Once you get up to the lakes explore around.  There are loads of different angles to be covered.  I've hiked up with a 40 pound pack,  It took about and hour and a half to get up.  I am 28 though and in great shape, kids do the hike all the time, you should be just fine.

The first quarter mile and the last half mile are the steepest.

Have fun!
-Ed McCulloch

my 55, 75 and 200 mm lenses.  (Equivalent 35 mm focal lengths would be 24, 35, 100 mm).  I would leave my 105, 300, and 1.4x teleconverter behind.

Do you think this is appropriate or would you select some other combination?

KenS

Northern Utah end of May
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2007, 06:01:21 pm »

Ken, you should be in great shape with the 55, 75 and 200.  Once you get up to the lakes explore around.  There are loads of different angles to be covered.  I've hiked up with a 40 pound pack,  It took about and hour and a half to get up.  I am 28 though and in great shape, kids do the hike all the time, you should be just fine.

The first quarter mile and the last half mile are the steepest.

Have fun!
-Ed McCulloch
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=118586\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ed,

Well, since I am twice as old as you I think I'll skip the first quarter mile and also plan on twice as long to get up! (just kidding).

Thanks again,
Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up