Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Art Wolfef series not being shown in Toronto??  (Read 5896 times)

DaveW

New Art Wolfef series not being shown in Toronto??
« on: May 08, 2007, 10:11:42 am »

It appears that the new Art Wolfe series that Michel has so kindly linked to on the main page won't be shown on the main PBS station in Toronto - WNED.

Some cable subscribers will be able to get it via KCTS in Seattle - but at 11pm on Thursdays and not in HD.

This is a terrible shame.  I've emailed WNED to find out if this is true.

DaveW

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 03:54:29 pm »

A quick update for those of you in the Buffalo/Toronto area - the local PBS station - WNED will be showing the series in High Def at 6 pm on Saturdays starting June 9th!

Tim Gray

• http://www.timgrayphotography.com
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:14:03 pm »

Thanks, I was wondering....

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 04:24:09 pm »

Unless there has been an update, it appears that the show will not be shown in the Baltimore - Washington area. We get all of the PBS stations in the area on cable and none are listed in the link as showing the program.

DaveW

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:32:56 pm »

Jake - I'd suggest emailing your local station.  It seems some PBS channels aren't starting the series until June - and they aren't listed on the show's website.

I find it rather odd that the PBS stations can't get organized and run this show at the same time - it would make marketing the show much easier.

theophilus

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 09:21:55 am »

I saw the episode this week (the first I think).  The altaplano (sp?) in the Bolivian Andes is freaking amazing!  I have got to make it down to South America some time.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 03:37:55 pm »

Art is a great guy and really good shooter...

If you can't see the broadcast series, it's available as a DVD set. Art also runs the Digital Photography Center in Seattle...I may doing a workshop in the fall.

Statistician

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 05:39:06 pm »

Quote from: Schewe,May 13 2007, 03:37 PM

If you can't see the broadcast series, it's available as a DVD set.

Hello,
  Yes, by all means get the DVD. Just keep in mind that the video quality on DVD is nothing like what you get if you watch the broadcast in hidef. The local PBS station broadcasts Art Wolfe's "Travels to the Edge" in hidef. The video quality is stunning, among the best I have seen from any station on my 61-inch 1080p TV. The interesting thing is that the video is beautifully composed just like still photographs. I record the program on the hard disk in transport stream format for reviewing and studying (I use a MyHD card as a tuner); each 30-minute episode takes about 4 GB.

The program, in my opinion, is beautiful. I hope it'll stimulate people's interest in photography. Yes, pressure your local station to get the program!

mbkinsman

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 06:00:36 pm »

Quote from: Statistician,Feb 6 2008, 05:39 PM
Quote from: Schewe,May 13 2007, 03:37 PM

If you can't see the broadcast series, it's available as a DVD set.

Hello,
  Yes, by all means get the DVD. Just keep in mind that the video quality on DVD is nothing like what you get if you watch the broadcast in hidef. The local PBS station broadcasts Art Wolfe's "Travels to the Edge" in hidef. The video quality is stunning, among the best I have seen from any station on my 61-inch 1080p TV. The interesting thing is that the video is beautifully composed just like still photographs. I record the program on the hard disk in transport stream format for reviewing and studying (I use a MyHD card as a tuner); each 30-minute episode takes about 4 GB.

The program, in my opinion, is beautiful. I hope it'll stimulate people's interest in photography. Yes, pressure your local station to get the program!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172818\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I agree - I've seen many of the episodes on the Chicago public tv HiDef channel (WTTWD)- currently on at 6:30pm Saturdays. Art's website has a link to look up viewing times.

airchinapilot

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:52:17 pm »

I've seen around six or seven of these now and love them. They are just the right length to even keep my girlfriend interested. She likes replaying the one in the South Georgia island.

http://www.travelstotheedge.com/series/abo..._episodes.shtml

I think the local KCTS (PBS) station played them all out. The only one I haven't seen is the Ethiopian one. I hope there are more coming.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 06:53:25 pm by airchinapilot »

KeithR

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2008, 05:28:40 pm »

Art's website has a link to look up viewing times.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=172830\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

A quick check on the website does list times, but a check of a calender will tell you that they are for last year-2007. Example, here in the Minneapolis area, it lists a start on saturday June 30. This year June 30th is a monday!
The destination is our goal but it’s the journey we experience
Pages: [1]   Go Up