Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Large format printing  (Read 2402 times)

mvandenbos

• www.mehdivandenbos.com
Large format printing
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:49:05 am »

I need some help interms of sourcing a good printer for a commissioned work. In particular I need to produce a final print of approximately 3 metres by 3 metres (~10 by 10 feet).

Do you have any recommendations. The final print needs to be delivered to australia.

Kind regards

Mehdi van den Bos
Mehdi van den Bos
www.mehdivandenbos.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
Large format printing
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:57:48 am »

I need some help interms of sourcing a good printer for a commissioned work. In particular I need to produce a final print of approximately 3 metres by 3 metres (~10 by 10 feet).

Do you have any recommendations. The final print needs to be delivered to australia.

Kind regards
Mehdi van den Bos
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116331\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't now if it is even possible to print that big in good quality... Most photographer I know who print that big stitch there final print.
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Bruce Watson

• http://LargeFormatPro.com
Large format printing
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 05:36:23 pm »

It depends to some extent on what you are trying to do. There are solvent ink printers designed for billboards that are three meters wide, but they are printing in general on vinyl and at fairly low resolution because the billboards are designed to be seen from a distance.

If you want to make a fine art print on fine art paper, you'll be limited to printing in strips and piecing them together because the art papers are generally only available in widths up to around 1.5 meters. To print this size you'd be looking for someone with a "grand format" printer like a Roland, Mimaki, or Mutoh. Or, for that matter, the new Canon iPF9000. If you make three passes of 1.0 meters each, there are many large format printers to choose from.

What may clarify this a bit is thinking about how you are going to display a print this size. So called "normal" framing is out as it's nearly imposible to transport a sheet of glazing that size. The same would be true of trying to face mount to a piece of plexi that size, or dry mount to a sheet of aluminum that size. The transport will be very difficult and very expensive.

One possibility might be to print to canvas. It might be possible to seam the canvas with a heat setting adhesive (sort of like you would a rug). You could stretch the canvas over stretcher bars just like you would an oil painting. You could ship the canvas rolled in a tube with the disassembled stretcher bars and assemble and stretch on site. Just a thought.

One photographer I know who is printing this size is Chris Jordan. His "Running the Numbers" series is printed very large, some around the size you propose. You might send him an email and ask him about his process. He'll perhaps have some interesting insights for you.

Good luck with it. Post a link and show us a picture of the installation when you get it done. I'd love to see it.
Bruce Watson
[url=http://achromaticarts.

Colourcurve

Large format printing
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 04:09:46 pm »

Hi

You will struggle with 3m wide as a single print. Above 2.5m you are looking at grand format printers  printing for long viewing distances as discussed earlier.

There is one possibility. If you are happy with a 2.5m print you could use a Seiko Colourpainter 100 or an HP 10000s (same printer essentially).

This can print high quality work which stands close inspection from just a few feet if printed at 8 or 16 pass 720dpi. Its the best you can get at 2.5m wide currently.

Good luck!
Pages: [1]   Go Up