Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanning issues  (Read 2281 times)

mahleu

• 500px
Scanning issues
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:09:32 am »

I was scanning in some negatives last night and the skys were coming out a horrible turquoise with very grainy graduation between shades. Was I doing something wrong or is the scanner broken. It's a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED scanning colour negs.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Scanning issues
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 09:57:01 am »

I was scanning in some negatives last night and the skys were coming out a horrible turquoise with very grainy graduation between shades. Was I doing something wrong or is the scanner broken. It's a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED scanning colour negs.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116328\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Because in the real world skies are not turquoise with grainy gradations, unless there was something horribly wrong with your camera settings or the development of the negatives, obviously there would be something wrong with the scanning. But no-one can possibly answer a question like this without a whole lot of information about your scanner settings/scanning technique, software used and perhaps having a link to the image itself. What kind of diagnostics have you done so far? For example, are the other colours in the same image about right or do they have cast and poor gradation as well? What kind of results are you getting from other negatives scanned the same way but don't have skies? Have you tried photographing a Color Checker and a grey card under daylight conditions (filling the frame with these) and scanning them to see how the scanner interprets the patches and neutral grey image? Scanners can't be calibrated for negatives like they can be for positives, so you need to use alternative techniques for getting appropriate colour balance, but from the little you describe it sounds as if there are other issues.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mahleu

• 500px
Scanning issues
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 03:54:32 am »

Thanks, i'll try some of those things