Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe Lightroom and CS3  (Read 2652 times)

marcmccalmont

Adobe Lightroom and CS3
« on: May 07, 2007, 05:05:03 am »

I've been sitting on the sideline looking at lightroom and CS3, casually playing with the beta versions. I'm wondering if you would share your reasons for upgrading to CS3 and investing in Lightroom? My workflow is as follows and I'm not sure it fits into lightroom easily.
my computer is a PC
Download files and browse using downloader pro and breazebrowser pro
Convert RAWs with DXO optics (I like the output a lot and I'm not willing to give that up) output as a tiff
Adjustments/sharpening in CS2
Scan w/ CS2 plugins
Print iPF5000 CS2 plugin

So if you have experiance with Lightroom/CS3 your advice would be appreciated
Thank
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Gary Damaskos

Adobe Lightroom and CS3
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:58:48 am »

Marc -

I picked up LightRoom about a week ago. For PS I am still in 7 and will be until about July.

I love the controls in LightRoom. I use it for scans and D200 raw files. I can do about 60 to 90% of what I want in there before moving file over to PS, where I still prefer to print from iPF plug in also. And none of this accounts for the browsing and file database info that LR provides. I am really happy having it just for the reasons stated.
Gary

I've been sitting on the sideline looking at lightroom and CS3, casually playing with the beta versions. I'm wondering if you would share your reasons for upgrading to CS3 and investing in Lightroom? Print iPF5000 CS2 plugin

So if you have experiance with Lightroom/CS3 your advice would be appreciated
Thank
Marc
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116103\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

MarkH5D

Adobe Lightroom and CS3
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 07:32:16 am »

I've been using Lightroom since V1.0 was launched along with DXO and CS2. I really like Lightroom for it's workflow/processing capabilities and its ability to pass files to CS2/CS3 and back again.

I also really like DXO, but this doesn't fit into the workflow so conveniently. I don't pass all files through DXO, only those special ones that would benefit from the DXO treatment. Like you, I wouldn't give it up so my workflow for DXO processed files is something like this:

1. Import into Lightroom from memory card.
2. View, sort, rate, reject etc. in Lightroom.
3. Note the RAW files to be processed by DXO.
4. Open DXO, pick up RAW files and process.
5. Import resulting TIFF back into Lightroom.
6. Use Lightroom for any additional processing.
7. Pass to CS2 for any selective processing/USM etc.

Obviously where DXO is not required, steps 3 to 5 are omitted.

It's not as sleek as I would like, but it's not as bad as it sounds.

There may be better ways (using DXO as one of the external editors to L/R?) but I have yet to try them.

I hope it helps.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up