Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 System Error 74:01  (Read 15497 times)

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
HP Z3100 System Error 74:01
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2007, 02:44:14 pm »

Just to help clarify the posts regarding the firmware download file, the following notice appears on the firmware page for the Z3100:

Important Note

Important Note: If you are downloading a firmware file for Windows, the file you downloaded might lose the extension when using certain browser versions. Please change the file extension to .exe before using the file.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Panascape

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 02:51:03 pm »

I aould first rename the firmarew file to .exe and see what happanes failing which try .zip.

Next if the above works and you upload the firmware correctly the Hp document I found on the web says that the 68 error range refers to non critical data loss and that the machine must be switched off at the front panel and then switched on again.

If this doesn't work, switch the machine off from the front panel and then at the back and then on again.

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2007, 02:56:49 pm »

You can also check on th front panel if the firmware took. I have had firmware revs early on that needed to be rebooted after the firmware install to show the new firmware was indeed installed.

Charlesu

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2007, 03:01:46 pm »

Thanks, the firmware did appear to "take" finally, from the second machine.

If I check it on the printer panel it says that it's 4.2..... the lates build.  So I think it did finally go in OK.

My trouble now is around calibration.  Still working on that as it fails everytime now, now without the printer even starting on a target.

Panascape

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2007, 03:02:55 pm »

It should say 4.2.0.2

Charlesu

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 03:11:14 pm »

It should say 4.2.0.2
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116202\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Bingo!

Now if I can ge the calibration to work.....

Panascape

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 03:13:51 pm »

Can you walk us step by step through what you are doing? Also which paper you are using.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:14:27 pm by Panascape »

Charlesu

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 03:35:07 pm »

Can you walk us step by step through what you are doing? Also which paper you are using.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116206\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Tonight I am at least going to disable legacy USB support in the BIOS (if it is still active).

I will reinstall all software.

I will also look to move this to a net connection instead, if above does not resolve.

Panascape

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2007, 03:41:32 pm »

Charles I would guess that you can try this.

Unload media

Switch the printer off and on with the media unloaded.

Load roll media but not Pro Satin as I have some concerns about this.

Once the printer has initialised, go into the menu on the front panel and from the quality menu, choose the calibration option and see if it will work.

If it does work from the front panel and won't work from you computer then you are a step further towards solving this Problem
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 03:42:16 pm by Panascape »

rdonson

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2007, 03:56:23 pm »

I aould first rename the firmarew file to .exe and see what happanes failing which try .zip.

Next if the above works and you upload the firmware correctly the Hp document I found on the web says that the 68 error range refers to non critical data loss and that the machine must be switched off at the front panel and then switched on again.

If this doesn't work, switch the machine off from the front panel and then at the back and then on again.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116198\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

When I downloaded 4.2.0.2 on Windoze it was an .EXE file that was a self-extracting ZIP file.  I ran the EXE and it created the *.fmw file and a licenses folder.  From the HP Care facility I pointed it at the *.fmw file and the firmware update went smoothly.
Regards,
Ron

stevenh

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2007, 04:43:50 pm »

From what I can tell 79.04 is an error uploading the firmware file so the above may well apply and if this is the case uploading the firmware may work.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I had no problem uploading the firmware.

printing over ethernet from my windows XP pro laptop has been no problem either from PS2 or lightroom.

but, printing from my windows 2000 workstation has been a battle.  worked for a while. but now I get a 79-04 error in ps2. sending a test print from the windows 2000 printer window works fine. i have removed it from usb and am connecting via ethernet on both machines instead.

btw i found that the hp utilities when loaded from the cdrom didn't work on my machines. even with updating.  when i got rid of them and then uploaded directly from the HP site and installed those they run fine.

below is an answer via email from hp. the email came very quickly.

"Thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

We understand that your Designjet Z3100PS displays a system error 79:04, and that cleaning the printhead and carriage contacts with a damp lint-free cloth has not corrected the issue.

Under normal circumstances, you should usually need to clean the printhead and carriage contacts only when you replace printheads or experience print quality or ink-related issues. However, ink buildup, dust paper fibers, or minor factory residue may occasionally interfere with carriage-printhead communication just enough to trigger this generic firmware error

If you regularly use highly fibrous uncoated paper types, if you regularly print borderless prints on glossy media, or if your environment is particularly dusty, you may need to clean the contacts once every few months.

Other possible causes of this error include communication, file or application issues, or driver, firmware, or hardware issues.

If the printer's power cord is plugged into a surge protector or UPS device, please plug the cord directly into a wall outlet for the duration of the troubleshooting process. Replace your surge protection device if the issue does not occur while the cord is plugged into the wall outlet.

Please disconnect the USB cable and print an internal test page from the printer's front panel. If the error occurs again, your issue may be related to firmware or hardware. If the printer test page is printed correctly, the issue is more likely to be related to communication or software.

Please use a damp lint-free cloth to wipe away any dust or ink buildup in the front of the printer, where your pages are printed and cut, if the error occurs on an internal print.

To test for communication or software issues, please reconnect the USB cable, after verifying that it is no greater than 15 feet in length. Send a Windows test page from the driver Properties, followed by files from several different software applications.

A failed test page indicates a possible communication or driver issue. Please remove and reinstall the driver, and replace the USB cable with a known-working cable from another printer or computer. On the other hand, if the error occurs when using a particular application or when printing a specific file, please check your application settings and re-save the file.

If the issue persists, we would suggest you contact HP’s Customer Care phone center in order to perform any additional troubleshooting, and if needed to determine what repair options are available for your printer. You can reach HP’s Customer Care center by calling 1-800-474-6836 (Mon-Fri, 6am to 6pm MST).

Once again, thank you for contacting Hewlett-Packard's Commercial Solutions Center.

NOTE: Our advice is strictly limited to the question(s) asked and is based on the information provided to us. Problems and solutions may depend on the nature of your system environment and various other parameters that are unknown to HP; therefore, HP cannot assume any responsibility or liability. Please be advised that technical information changes as new data becomes available, therefore, HP recommends that you check back at our technical support web site located at [a href=\"http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html]http://www.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html[/url] regularly for possible updates. Hewlett-Packard shall not be liable for any direct, indirect, special, incidental or consequential damages in connection with the use of this information."

Charlie B

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30:38 am »

Charlie B had the same error you get a while ago. I am not sure how he fixed it. I do know I get strange errors when I have tried to download a firmware file which was a .zip that was renamed .fmw.

Remaning the file to .zip allowed me to unzip it. Also have had a .exe renamed to something else.

From what I can tell 79.04 is an error uploading the firmware file so the above may well apply and if this is the case uploading the firmware may work.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116195\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Sorry not to get in on this thread earlier. Have been out of town. I did have similar problem. Tried an old G4 Mac laptop and got it to work on USB when my G5 Mac couldn't do the update without same error message. Have since switched to ethernet on G5 and the last firmware update worked finel The printer seems to be finicky about USB connections. I, also, talked to HP support by phone and got good support from them day and night.

Charlie

Charlesu

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2007, 08:53:38 pm »

Sorry not to get in on this thread earlier. Have been out of town. I did have similar problem. Tried an old G4 Mac laptop and got it to work on USB when my G5 Mac couldn't do the update without same error message. Have since switched to ethernet on G5 and the last firmware update worked finel The printer seems to be finicky about USB connections. I, also, talked to HP support by phone and got good support from them day and night.

Charlie
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116335\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I eventually got my firmware update to go via USB from another computer.

However, due to the other serious issues I have been having I switched to ethernet to rule out USB as an issue.  I was told by HP to redo the upgrade via ethernet and it went very smoothly (twice) and fairly quickly.

Charlie B

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2007, 06:15:47 pm »

I eventually got my firmware update to go via USB from another computer.

However, due to the other serious issues I have been having I switched to ethernet to rule out USB as an issue.  I was told by HP to redo the upgrade via ethernet and it went very smoothly (twice) and fairly quickly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116479\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Someone else on this forum had encouraged me to change to ethernet. It made a big improvement when I finally made the change.

Charlie

Min

• http://www.MinEnghauser.com
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2007, 12:45:36 pm »

Ugh. I love my hp printer...when its working!

Ive been going along just fine the last few months after suffering thru much of this same stuff trying to get software and firmware updates loaded...very painful until i totally cleared my computer (wndws xp pro) of all hp files and reloaded from the downloaded files...it all went very smoothly then...had to patient with the printer as it worked thru its firmware update....20 mins or so.

Now however, im totally at a loss. getting the 70.04 error when trying to send to the printer. i followed all of the advice of the aforementioned HP email and that worked, for about a minute. Im on ethernet and dont have a communication problem, prints windows test prints just fine, prints internal prints just fine other app but not cs3. I see where some mentioned it being an problem with the 'printer manage color' option, that too was fine until yesterday. made sure it wasnt set to that in my server props and it worked, for about a minute.

Possible reasons...?

*printhead - even though it gives an 'ok' readout, i found some ink build up on the parts one is not supposed to touch...but they are very inky, both on the head and on the contacts within the carriage...can i, should i clean these contacts of the ink buildup? if i replace the head, can i clean the contacts within the carrige before replacing?

*new custom paper - created and installed Ilford smooth pearl...this is when the trouble began, really...was getting banding on this paper so i started running all the tests...printhead cleaning etc...then everything started going wrong...so i dumped and redid the set up... but have read here before that HP says you can have too many custom sizes and custom papers...?

*printer managed color - yikes. what can i do about that? printer printed using photoshop managed color, so i thought i was good, switch to printer managed and now i cant get anything to print.

*photoshop cs3?

im really in a hole now... guess i need to uninstall and reinstall everything...ugh...but i hate to do that if its a printhead or custom paper problem.

other HP issue-
*easy care tabs dont all work...software crashes when i try to access any tabs other than the main and color center.

i welcome suggestions if there are any.

i hope hp does read this forum and knows how much i could love and would recommend this intelligent printer, if only it would work consistently and hp was more helpful and aware of our struggles.

thanks
min

rdonson

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2007, 01:17:50 pm »

Min,

I've never heard of a 70:04 error message on the printer.  Is this error displayed on the printer LCD?  The "Using Your Printer" manual only lists:

74 - firmware error
or
79 - restart the printer

I've had a 79:04 that was resolved by rebooting the printer.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2007, 01:19:02 pm by rdonson »
Regards,
Ron

Min

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2007, 01:30:58 pm »

Min,

I've never heard of a 70:04 error message on the printer.  Is this error displayed on the printer LCD?  The "Using Your Printer" manual only lists:

74 - firmware error
or
79 - restart the printer

I've had a 79:04 that was resolved by rebooting the printer.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138044\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

oh! im sorry...79.04 ...but restarting and rebooting hasnt resolve it...

rdonson

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2007, 05:09:17 pm »

oh! im sorry...79.04 ...but restarting and rebooting hasnt resolve it...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138047\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

hmmmm... have you actually powered off the printer yet (switch above power cord)?
Regards,
Ron

Min

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2007, 08:50:23 pm »

hmmmm... have you actually powered off the printer yet (switch above power cord)?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138075\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yeah...even unplugged it from the powerstrip as per the hp email...it says 'receiving data' even goes into 'printing' but wont and then i get the error...79 04

just tried again went thru receiving', 'preparing to print' 'printing' 'finishing printing' then the error...ugh. im going to install it on another box and see what happens.

min

Min

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »

I had similar problems with mine, a 44" ps model connected through ethernet. Intermittent 79.04 problems and printer not printing the internal B&W demo print. Colour demo was printing fine but B&W not. HP engineer came over and changed the formatter and main logic. After that I was still having 79.04 from the MAC and on top of that profiles and gloss enhancer were not applied to final prints. Then I unistalled everything from the MAC and started printing from my PC. Since then not a single glitch or hiccup, everything works fine. My conclusion, probably a Z3100 - MAC driver problem...

If the printer prints the internal demo prints then the problem lies either with operating system - driver or connection. The other thing you could check is the error log to see what it says about the 79.04.

HP says that 79.04 is a firmware problem... Sorry I can't be of anymore help...

George
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=138145\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Thanks, George. At least i know Im not alone.

i ended up loading everything onto another windows machine...still etherneted ...and now im as happy as can be! no problems. so much wasted time because i was stubborn about getting it to load to my best and fastest box. had my friend purge and try to reload onto best box while i played catch up with work load...we didnt even bother trying to send a print out cuz the software was still not behaving like it should...it never really did on that box...i had forgotten how fast that printer can actually print. im releived its my box and not my printer.

so could be driver/os conflict, or bad hard drive sectors, a ghost in the machine...who knows...? right now im not going to worry, im up and running and just want to make art! and money.

this new smooth setup reminds me why i love this printer. i think perhaps the hp guys have a hell of a time dealing with all the diff mother boards, computer components and os variations etc...but i would have thought mac users would be better off. next thing is to reformat or replace my hard drive...time for a freshening up to get me thru a few more months.

peace
-min
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up