Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3100 System Error 74:01  (Read 15499 times)

Charlesu

HP Z3100 System Error 74:01
« on: May 06, 2007, 08:07:17 pm »

I've had this thing set up for 2 days and it's clear that it desparately needs the lates firmware.  However, I keep getting

"System Error 74:01"  

In fact, this is currently displaying  in the Items Needing Attention: in the Easy Printer Care.  

I can find NO reference to this error message (except on this forum).  The HP documentation only mentions a 74.1 error message and recommends that you keep trying to do the firmware update.  Ha!

I've done this 10 times now?  Fails every time.  I've made sure that nothing was running on the computer (except for typical TSR threads like AV).  I've also tried multiple cables and ports without any change in results.  No doubt this had been my worst "new printer" experience of my life.  

Easy Printer Care shows this error now but gives NO indication what to do with or about it.

HELP!!!!!

I will probably stay home from work tomorrow and call HP but given what I've heard about their support people not even knowing that they ship this printer, I am not optimistic.  

As of this moment my 4 year old Epson 4000 runs circles around the HP.  I really wish it were not so.  If I could do it over again, I would get the Epson.  

Any thoughts or has anyone actually resolved this issue?

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:32:20 pm »

Charles,

1) Are you on USB or LAN?

2) Are you sure you ran the firmware.exe file to produce the firmware.fmw
 file? When you download the firmware file the exe extension of the file name may get stripped off. If so, you need to rename the file you downloaded with the exe extension and double click it to extract the firmware file. If not, the printer cannot find the firmware file to update. You should be trying to update with the following file, assuming you are loading the latest:

TR12-RO_04_02_00-2_bx86o_TR12-RO_B_0.fmw

3) If this is not the problem, when does the error occur?

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

Charlesu

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 08:47:57 pm »

I am on USB.

The filename I have is TR12-RO_04_02_00-2_bx860_TR12-RO_B-0.fmw

The process starts and the printer eventually displays a message that it is updating.  Then after maybe 30 mins or so it says that the update has failed and gives me that error message.  

Yes, the extension is present on the filename.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 08:53:51 pm by Charlesu »

rdonson

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 09:00:48 pm »

Charles, I think you're going to have to contact HP support on this one.   It was reported on 3-27-07 in the HP forums without any response.

http://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/fo...&pageseq=333875

Looking through the HP forums it appears that there is actually very little done there.  Kind of looks like a waste of time.
Regards,
Ron

Charlesu

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 09:01:02 pm »

OK I installed the HP software on my fileserver and immediately got the error message in the "Items Needing Attention" section on the easy printer care screen.

However, I also copied over the firmware update and proceeded with the update.

This time the easy printer care screen did something different.  it gave me a notice and a status (currently 47%) that it was updating the firmware and told me not to click anything, etc.

This is very new and different.

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2007, 09:01:57 pm »

Progress.  I hope that's a good sign.
Regards,
Ron

Charlesu

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 09:05:58 pm »

Charles, I think you're going to have to contact HP support on this one.   It was reported on 3-27-07 in the HP forums without any response.

http://h41186.www4.hp.com/country/us/en/fo...&pageseq=333875

Looking through the HP forums it appears that there is actually very little done there.  Kind of looks like a waste of time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

yes, it looks like there is NO support from HP.  pretty lonely place and inexcusable when we're talking about $4000 and $6000 printers.  

if i were heading up this division, i would be pretty embarrassed.

Charlesu

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 09:12:52 pm »

So the printer appears to be turning off, which it is supposed to do after a firmware update.  

Keeping my fingers crossed but still likely to call and talk with HP about this tomorrow.  It seems at least two other people here on LL had this issue and at least one got no support from HP.  

We'll see if this also resolves the other issues I've seen.

rdonson

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 09:20:17 pm »

Good luck, Charles.  Keep us posted.
Regards,
Ron

Charlesu

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 09:23:44 pm »

OK

It seemed to install the firmware ok and then seemed to turn off but I am not sure it really did.

When i checked it, the display said

"System Error 68:03" and then suggested the printer be turned off but it also said hit OK to continue.

I hit ok and then brought up the "Easy Printer Care" screen and refreshed it.  It now says "System error: 68:03" which, of course, is not listed in the HP docs.

marty m

• http://
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 10:10:15 pm »

Looking through the HP forums it appears that there is actually very little done there.  Kind of looks like a waste of time.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116038\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The HP forums are complete joke.  Worse than a waste of time.

The HP techs probably spend more time reading this form than their own forums.  That's why everyone posts here rather than on the HP forums.  I haven't looked at those  forums in a month or so (why would I?) because it was apparent that no one from HP ever reads the questions or responds.

I just chalk it up to the reports of lame and ill informed tech support here in the U.S.  I know some of you have had good experiences, but there appear to be just as many, if not more, bad experiences.

Thank goodness that forum participants like Panascape deal directly with the team in Spain, or we'd have no access to the team that is actually fixing the problems.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 10:11:48 pm by marty m »

Jim Cole

• Jim Cole Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2007, 11:36:27 pm »

Could be the USB connection, if it is more than about 10 feet long.

I hope the update completes this time as it appears to be proceeding OK.

I got an error 80 something after my printer rebooted on this latest update and it asked me to restart when possible. After restarting, everything was fine.

Hope it all works out.

Jim
Jim Cole
Flagstaff, AZ www.jimcolephoto.

EvoM

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 12:18:21 am »

Does anyone have a firmware update that actually installs without a problem? I had a similar problem trying to install the current firmware a few weeks ago on our Mac/Lan set up and wrote of it on this forum. Eventually after lots of error messages, it suddenly installed and now all is okay but the experience has me not too keen to try it again! It would have to be a "must have" update!!

It's funny when you say USD$6000 for the Z3100 44 inch printer, here in Australia I paid AUD$13,500!! (approx USD $11,000). A lot extra don't you think and don't tell it's all freight!

Anyway as far as information goes, this forum is the only place I've found any relevant, up to date info...forget the HP site!! what a joke!

Evo

Panascape

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 02:10:48 am »

I am on USB.

The filename I have is TR12-RO_04_02_00-2_bx860_TR12-RO_B-0.fmw

The process starts and the printer eventually displays a message that it is updating.  Then after maybe 30 mins or so it says that the update has failed and gives me that error message. 

Yes, the extension is present on the filename.

Thanks!
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116036\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

TRy rename this from .fmw to .zip and see if it unzipps as I have had this happen before where an HP zip file got posted with another extension.

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 06:42:28 am »

Does anyone have a firmware update that actually installs without a problem?

Evo
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116073\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I guess I'm the lucky one as firmware 4.2.0.2 installed on my machine just fine.

Installation from the DVD wasn't without errors though.  It reported that five DLLs failed to register and then, of course, told me that everything installed fine.  It did work though after a reboot of the PC.
Regards,
Ron

Charlesu

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 07:49:53 am »

It looks like it finally installed but I was wary of that msg about turning off the printer so did that a moment ago.  I will turn it back on in a moment and then call HP.

Charlesu

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 08:20:19 am »

So I had called HP support yesterday and told the IVR that I had a Designjet printer.  The IVR acknowledged that I had a DesignJet and then told me that support was only available M_F from 5-5 PT.  

So I called back this morning.  Same IVR greeted me.  I told it I had a Designjet and then it said OK you have a DesignJet.  Support for this is only available on our website.  Go to.......

Not good.

Charlesu

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 08:38:51 am »

So I had called HP support yesterday and told the IVR that I had a Designjet printer.  The IVR acknowledged that I had a DesignJet and then told me that support was only available M_F from 5-5 PT. 

So I called back this morning.  Same IVR greeted me.  I told it I had a Designjet and then it said OK you have a DesignJet.  Support for this is only available on our website.  Go to.......

Not good.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116111\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Just for fun I called back and this time the IVR let me in to very basic (frontline) technical support.  She is searching a KB for error codes.    

Meanwhile, another calibration failure.  The software gave up at about the 50% mark and quit tracking profgress.  The printer completed the entire process and then said failed due to scanning problems.  

neil snape

• http://www.neilsnape.com
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 12:22:46 pm »

Just for fun I called back and this time the IVR let me in to very basic (frontline) technical support.  She is searching a KB for error codes.   

Meanwhile, another calibration failure.  The software gave up at about the 50% mark and quit tracking profgress.  The printer completed the entire process and then said failed due to scanning problems. 

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116113\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Take a look at the ribbon just above the print head capping station. If there are pits and or glycol that are on this strip you will experience scanning errors and or other errors due to the carriage not knowing where it is in relation to park.
These printers really work better on Ethernet, so if you have any doubts as to the cabling, try a staight or crossover cable on the host computer. That would remove any doubt.

Panascape

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 02:39:11 pm »

Charlie B had the same error you get a while ago. I am not sure how he fixed it. I do know I get strange errors when I have tried to download a firmware file which was a .zip that was renamed .fmw.

Remaning the file to .zip allowed me to unzip it. Also have had a .exe renamed to something else.

From what I can tell 79.04 is an error uploading the firmware file so the above may well apply and if this is the case uploading the firmware may work.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up