Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: San Franciscio Hotels  (Read 2899 times)

Khurram

San Franciscio Hotels
« on: May 06, 2007, 02:18:26 pm »

I had got some great advice for my trip to the bay area in a previous post.  I was hoping to get some advice on where to stay for the SF portion of my trip.  I'm not looking at staying at the Fairmont - as i doubt we'll spend a heck of a lot of time at the hotel.

I had planned on staying at either the Sheraton or Best Western at Fisherman's Wharf, but on another forum I had some recommendations for the Travel Lodge at The Presidio.  To me the location of either the Presidio or Golden Gate Travel Lodge is ideal, since we will probably be spending a lot of time around the area of the golden gate (to get to the Marin Headlands, Golden Gate park, Fort Point, etc).

For me a big plus in favour of the travel lodge is that free parking is including.  However, after reading some of the reveiws on Expedia, i'm kind of hesitant, as there are some reviews that say that the hotel is what you would expect at a budget motel, but it is clean.  However, there were some negative reviews saying that the hotel was not very clean or sanitary.

Anyway, i'd appreciate some advice on the Travel lodge or similar hotels around the GOlden Gate bridge or Presidio area.  My main concern is that it should be clean and preferably include parking.  I'd rather spend the extra money eating out at a nice restaruant rather then on a hotel room and parking  

When I was there for work, i have stayed at the Fairmont and Fisherman's wharf Marriot.  Since i wasn't picking up the tab, i didn't really care about the $55/night for parking.    But as this is on my dime, i really dont't care to spend that much a night on parking.

Some of the other options of places I wouldn't mind staying are Fisherman's Wharf (if there is a hotel that has a bit more reaosnalbe rates/parking costs), the nob hill location (again, if parking is more reaoanable - i won't hold my breath on that though).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2007, 02:37:38 pm by Khurram »
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

vandevanterSH

San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 08:23:47 pm »

I have stayed at the Radisson at Fisherman's Wharf several times, the last time 3 weeks ago.  The price is good, parking is $28 but I booked on line and got free parking.  It's pretty basic but clean. It has a lot of rooms and is usually not full.

Steve

Khurram

San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:25:40 am »

I have stayed at the Radisson at Fisherman's Wharf several times, the last time 3 weeks ago.  The price is good, parking is $28 but I booked on line and got free parking.  It's pretty basic but clean. It has a lot of rooms and is usually not full.

Steve
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=116033\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Thanks for the information Steve!
----

ngophotographer

San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 05:37:37 pm »

Take a look at Tripadvisor.com for reviews.  Its pretty accurate.  I've seen some pretty suspect star/quality ratings on Expedia and other travel websites.  When you read Tripasvisor.com, you find out if you're at a real Hotel, Motel or "rooms-by-the-hour" place.  Make sure you read the reviews--they tell the real story.

I read the comments of some of the hotels I was looking at in Marin County and they were eye-openers.     Glad I read them before booking and showing up there.

Good luck!

Rich
NGOphotographer

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 11:32:33 pm »

Another vote for tripadvisor.com.  I use it before every trip; it's better than guidebooks.

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Khurram

San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:33:11 am »

Rich/Lisa,
Thanks for the Tripadvisor tip!
----

fennario

San Franciscio Hotels
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2007, 09:27:37 pm »

There are a couple of places worth looking into.  The Hotel Del Sol is a renovated motor inn on Lombard Street that is nice, clean, and reasonable.  The other's name escapes me but it is located at the intersection of California and Presidio and is also very nice, clean and reasonable.  Either will give you quick access to the Presidio, however the Hotel Del Sol is probably the better choice given your needs... it has better access to the GG Bridge & Fort Point, plus it's in a very trendy area with lots of restaurants, shops and activity.  Not sure about the parking charge at either, but it's sure to be less than any mainstream hotel.

btw, I'm a native San Franciscan and you can bank on those two recommendations... I've had my in-laws stay at both with no complaints or issues.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 09:31:17 pm by fennario »
Pages: [1]   Go Up