Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS2 to CS3  (Read 2377 times)

dabreeze

CS2 to CS3
« on: May 06, 2007, 12:46:14 pm »

O.K. supposedly there are no stupid questions but I have a feeling this is going to sound like one!!

My transition from CS2 to CS3 will be my very first "official" upgrade where an entire application full of plug-ins (PK Sharpener; Gen Frac; Nik), printer drivers, ICC profiles and an actions folder chock full of useful stuff must come along.

I'm assuming I'll have to reinstall the plug-ins but will I have to do the same for printer drivers? Or will printer drivers and their folder be automatically transferred with the new install? How about ICC profiles and actions? Automatic or will I have to copy and install them myself in their appropriate folders in CS3?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS2 to CS3
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 01:20:32 pm »

Printer drivers are OS level installations not dependant upon the applications. So are ICC profiles. You will need to re-install plug-ins and the best and most safe way is to simply run the installer for the most recent version-check for CS3 compatibility.

If you have a lot of actions, you would do well to save out the actions sets-you can only save a set, not a single action. If you have custom tool presets, brushes, colors or swatches, that gets more complicated to move over...

dabreeze

CS2 to CS3
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 03:12:39 pm »

Thanks Jeff. Speaking of CS3 compatability, the latest I've read is that PK Sharpener 1.2.4 will function with CS3 & XP . . . should I go ahead and install it or wait for the new PKS version due quite soon?

On another note, I wanted to thank you & company for your marvelous presentation at the Phoenix Print Academy (Track Two). When not causing trouble from the second row :-), I got a whole heck of a lot out of it.

What's proven truly invaluable was the introduction to CMYK soft-proofing. Your PDF article on prepping for CMYK is so comprehensive and thorough and for me couldn't have come at a better time. My first cover shot (and another ten feature pages inside) comes out this month and I did all the soft-proofing and conversions myself, using the printer-supplied CMYK profile and following your workflow.

Many times over, thanks!! If you're ever near Sedona on that two-wheeler of yours, you've got a place to crash and photo opps galore.

Best,

Derek von Briesen
Sedona, Arizona
www.dvbphotography.com

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
CS2 to CS3
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2007, 03:22:16 pm »

Go ahead and install the current 1.2.4 version. . .don't know exactly when the final GM will be out. We're trying to get our installers bullet proof for multiple OSs and PS versions...

Thanks for the other kind words...appreciate it!
And I would like to get to Sedona some time...

dabreeze

CS2 to CS3
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »

www.dvbphotography.com

dabreeze@esedona.net

keep 'em handy if you make it out this way. second week of october is pretty amazing for fall color. nice temps too!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up